Has Anyone Made A Successful Parker Vector Or Parker Beta Eyedropper Conversion ?

thekraitmusic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thekraitmusic

• prashant.tikekar

• rwilsonedn

• MrInnis

You might look at this thread.

There are three basic issues in using a CC pen as an eyedropper-filler:

1. The threads that attach the barrel to the section must be water-tight. You can ensure this by giving them a mild coating of silicon grease: enough to coat the threads, but not so much as to create strain on and crack the plastic when you screw the threads together.

2. The barrel and section themselves must be water-tight. You can check this by taking the barrel off the section and just blowing into the section and barrel to see if there are leaks. If you find leaks, you can seal them with epoxy, but of course you have to be very careful with epoxy in the section to make sure you don't glue in or obstruct the feed.

3. In general ink should not touch metal. There is more debate about this point, because some members report having used a metal-barreled pen for years with no problems, while others have seen corrosion where the ink touched metal parts, leading to particles in the ink and eventually a blocked feed. The Vector, if I remember, has a metal endpiece on the barrel. You could test it with the inks you intend to use, and see if after a day or so there is a reaction. Or you could plug the end of the barrel with epoxy or even candle wax to keep the ink away from the metal.

Bottom line: the project will take some investigation, but it should be easy and go smoothly. And you are not risking damage to the pen, at least until it comes to filling the end of the barrel with some substance that you can't scrape out again. So why not give it a try?

ron

Thanks :) what about parker beta fountain ? Its made up of plastic

I have once used beta as eyedropper using vaseline for sealing section barrel threads successfully.

yeayy.. thanks i did the same and it works on beta. not sure on the vector though

I have once used beta as eyedropper using vaseline for sealing section barrel threads successfully.

Edited by thekraitmusic

yeayy.. thanks i did the same and it works on beta. not sure on the vector though

Though you have converted beta as eyedropper, parker cartridges have large enough capacity and syringe Refill of empty cartridges also work very well for parker pens. Refilling is easy and any mess can be avoided. I would suggest using vector that way as section threads are bit different than beta

Yes parker vector has a metal part at the back. Will camlin. Or parker quink corrode it ?

Yes parker vector has a metal part at the back. Will camlin. Or parker quink corrode it ?

Don't know about corrosion but ink may leak through plastic steel joint.

• 2 weeks later...

You might look at this thread.

There are three basic issues in using a CC pen as an eyedropper-filler:

1. The threads that attach the barrel to the section must be water-tight. You can ensure this by giving them a mild coating of silicon grease: enough to coat the threads, but not so much as to create strain on and crack the plastic when you screw the threads together.

2. The barrel and section themselves must be water-tight. You can check this by taking the barrel off the section and just blowing into the section and barrel to see if there are leaks. If you find leaks, you can seal them with epoxy, but of course you have to be very careful with epoxy in the section to make sure you don't glue in or obstruct the feed.

3. In general ink should not touch metal. There is more debate about this point, because some members report having used a metal-barreled pen for years with no problems, while others have seen corrosion where the ink touched metal parts, leading to particles in the ink and eventually a blocked feed. The Vector, if I remember, has a metal endpiece on the barrel. You could test it with the inks you intend to use, and see if after a day or so there is a reaction. Or you could plug the end of the barrel with epoxy or even candle wax to keep the ink away from the metal.

Bottom line: the project will take some investigation, but it should be easy and go smoothly. And you are not risking damage to the pen, at least until it comes to filling the end of the barrel with some substance that you can't scrape out again. So why not give it a try?

ron

Great opinion. I will try that

• 1 month later...

Yes it does leak from that joint. Any way we can cover it up ?

Hey! Today I tried sealing the bottom end by applying some 'fevicol' over it (on the outside) and letting it dry. I put some vaseline near the joint which combines the barrel and the nib section. You can give it a shot too.

Edited by MrInnis