• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike 59

• flatline

• migo984

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just received a two-pack of the 0.5 version, and I have to say I prefer them to the 0.7. The line width is closer to the 0.7 on the Pilot G2, and lay down a much crisper line. I really did a 180 on these pens; I can't get enough of them.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Anyone in the UK had any luck in finding some? Cult Pens online don't have them, nor do my local W H Smith and Rymans. Perhaps they're not out in the UK yet.

I'm sure they had them in Tesco yesterday....loads of pens in the "Back to School" section and I only have a small Tesco.

I didn't purchase as I was in a hurry and a bit blinded with all the options!!

Thanks. I'll have a look. I've seen loads of InkJoy pens around, but they've all been the ballpoint. I've already fallen for that one (with the mini pens I bought) so I'll double check for the gel pens.

Also at Wilkos Migo, £2 for 8, pack of black or multicoloured

Thanks for the info. I think maybe from the website that those are the ballpoint/rollerballs rather than the new Gel pens.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I checked today in the popular UK supermarket Tesco and the general household store Wilko, and no PaperMate Inkjoy ''gel' ballpoints as yet.

But there was the PaperMate PM 300 gel pen in a four colour pack, so I bought those to test. It's possible that the refills are the same as the hard to find Inkjoy gel pens.

I have done a written test to show several of the popular ballpoints,some liquid ink, some gel, plus a few other types as a comparision.

Are you planning to make a water fastness test with those?

Besides ballpoints, I find several recent gels to handle water exceptionally well... I have several inks you listed and know how they behave, but interested in the rest :)

Scratching away on paper...

I can do any tests on these reills, not too sure how to go about it though, if there is a 'standard' method, I don't know what it is.

Generally I have noticed that the smoother writers are the 0.7mm widths, but I often hear or read that many people much prefer the 0,5mm or even narrower.

I buy my pens in the UK, where the 0.7mm (or Medium) is by far the most common width, and 0.5mm is very rare to find in any shops.

Interesting... I was under impression, that 0.7/1.0mm was an American thing and Europe and Asia (especially) having more elaborate script prefer 0.5/0.3mm....

Me myself having really "bad" writing, and somewhat less legible if writing quickly - prefer fine or extra fine point. Then again, 0.5 mm in ballpoint is vastly different from 0.5mm in FP...

Anyway - when I checked how inks hold on water, I did this - wrote sample lines with each on relatively good paper, water for them all to cure (about 18-24hrs), then dip half of the page in water for several seconds - at hat point, regular (Waterman) FP inks show their true nature and wash away from paper almost immediately. The rest show some issues (clouding) within some time while paper is drying out... But that's essentially mine unscientific method...

Have made a new test sheet with 21 different ink types to test for 'water-fastness'.

Waiting 24 hours for the inks to dry, results to follow.

A 'waterproofness' test of various inks, including ballpoint (oil based), gel, and water based (last one) for comparison.

The inks were left to dry for 24 hours, then the right hand edge of the paper was dipped into cool water for 5 seconds.

Would anyone in the UK be a gent and post a link for these gel pens. I have check the Tesco, Wilko, Viking and Amazon websites and haven't found them.

Would anyone in the UK be a gent and post a link for these gel pens. I have check the Tesco, Wilko, Viking and Amazon websites and haven't found them.

I haven't found them in the UK either yet. Only the ballpoints.

Verba volant, scripta manent

A 'waterproofness' test of various inks, including ballpoint (oil based), gel, and water based (last one) for comparison.

The inks were left to dry for 24 hours, then the right hand edge of the paper was dipped into cool water for 5 seconds.

Thanks a lot, really interesting, but confirms my findings - not all gel inks are made equal... Compare EnerGel and Uniball Signo. But most ball points hold up pretty well :)

I've discovered some of the best pens ever - the Papermate Inkjoy Gel Pens. They are fairly new on the market, and write as smooth as silk. They have either tied or beat my beloved Pilot G2s. Also, the ink dries very quickly on the paper. I didn't realize that a gel pen could write that smoothly. I'm liking them better than (gasp :yikes:) fountain pens!!

Image from Staples promo:

Huuuge fan of Papermate since my school days. I'm doomed.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Stopped by in Walmart yesterday and picked up a pair of InkJoy gels for $3.75. Strange, that you can't find them in UK, I wonder if they branded differently...

The pair I got is 0.7mm medium - and they do write a bold, wet line - a bit much for my liking, I'd want to try 0.5mm if they will become available.

The colors I got are nice - blue and blue-black, so far I only opened blue-black one...

Refills seems to be a standard size, hope they would sell just refills online.

I am preparing water test and will post results when available.

post-130902-0-40254800-1470621633_thumb.jpg

post-130902-0-56502700-1470621638_thumb.jpg

post-130902-0-42088700-1470621737_thumb.jpg

Am looking out for these 'Inkjoy Gel' pens in the UK, not seen so far (8 Aug 2016).

(My photo); These are the only Gel types from PaperMate I can find, but not in the 'Inkjoy' range though.

The ink is very smooth to write with, and rich colour, very different from the 'normal' Inkjoy refills.

It's possibly the same ink as in the 'Inkjoy gel' refills, I hope so.

The refill is not the same size as the 'Inkjoy Gel' but I have tried fitting it into the much better Inkjoy 700 body, and with about 5mm cut from the top end I believe it will make a good combination.

Edited by Mike 59

I havent used these Papermate Gel pens so far, a gel pen that I really like is the Uniball Impact gel pen 1.00mm which is perfect for me, very broad line and super smooth.

Is there anyone who has used this Uniball and Papermate Gel pen? Is it worth seeking out the Papermate?