The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Do I Get The Filler Out Of An Aerometric P51 And Replace The Sack?

parker 51 aerometric repair sack filler press four times english 1965 replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:40

I have just got a beautiful English aerometric Parker 51 from 1965, :)  but when I flushed out the dry old ink the press-four-times filler slowly started letting out water at the opening where one pushes. :crybaby:

I assume that the pli sack has gone loose and either has to be replaced or re-glued with shellac - which leaves me with some questions:

1) How do I get the filler out? (It certainly is not easy to get it out and I don't want to use to much force.) Is it correct that it is not screwed in? Does it help putting it in warm water?

2) Any advice on what size of pli sack I should get will be appreciated, as will any advice on what brand of shellac to use and any details with regard to the procedure in general.

I have looked all over FPN but I have found very little on the subject, so if you are experienced in these matters please give me as much advice as possible.

Best regards

Ursus

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:37

Most filler covers are press fit you pull them off. Vintage pens sells correct replacement sacs. One should consider the.he possibility that the sac nipple has gotten mushy and is the problem.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 FPRebel

FPRebel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 20:48

I bookmarked this old post here on FPN started by white-lotus. I haven't followed any of the steps yet, but it looks like a lot of very valuable information for Parker 21 and 51 owners!

http://www.fountainp...filler-removal/

Please let us know how it goes for you. I may be doing the same soon with my beloved 21. Best to you!

Edited by FPRebel, 07 July 2016 - 20:48.

#4 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2016 - 14:21

Most filler covers are press fit you pull them off. Vintage pens sells correct replacement sacs. One should consider the.he possibility that the sac nipple has gotten mushy and is the problem.

So it's not glued with anything that has to be heated first?

#5 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 16:31

The friction fit can be very tight - ridiculously tight, given the softness of the connector. I dislike removing the sac guard, and ease it off with section pliers in each hand.

Edited by Flounder, 08 July 2016 - 16:31.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#6 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2016 - 22:27

I think the recommendation is to HEAT the front of the sac guard, so that is softens the sac, then pull the sac guard off.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#7 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:19

Definitely heat it.  I did not use sac pliers on the sac guard itself, just in the other hand, to feel it move better.  Little bits at a time, it'll come off ok.  Try to not bend the metal, because it's got to get back on and be nice and tight again.  

Tim

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2016 - 18:40

I think I remember encountering some sac guards that were threaded.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,001 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 18:52

I think I remember encountering some sac guards that were threaded.

Yes. On early pens.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 51, aerometric, repair, sack, filler, press four times, english, 1965, replacement

Sponsored Content

|