Delta Is Selling - What?

OneRiotOneRanger

The advertising material Delta includes with their products, and the "explanations" offered by almost everyone selling their stuff, contain two gross errors: the properties of their "Fusion" nibs, discussed elsewhere, and what products they are selling, discussed here. First, before they claim that, if you hold one pen in each hand, close your eyes, click your heels, and wish real hard, you can get to Oz, I'll let those with more scientific understanding explain what their Fusion nibs can't do.

I recently purchased a Delta Fusion 82 pen, sold by everyone as a rollerball. The card Delta has included in each package explains that their "trimmings are in SPECIAL metal alloy" and "are plated with PRECIOUS rhodium." Obviously, they hired a copywriter Montblanc fired! They also claim that their products are "available as fountain pen, roller ball, nonstop roller and a Demonstrator Gift." That's verbatim from them.

1. Their "rollerball" is a capped ballpoint, using a Delta ballpoint (not really) cartridge, not, e.g., a Schmidt roller refill.

2. What the hell is a "non stop roller?" The card has a picture of an (uncovered) ballpoint, but no explanation of this new? product.

3. Ditto a "Demonstrator Gift." We know what a demonstrator is/does - no picture of anything like that.

Their resins are gorgeous, and the pens well made. Back in the days when I worked (as a Program Manager in IT), and we all wore animal skins, if someone alleged something that was not 100% truthful, I would tell them that their pitch needed to begin with "Once upon a time in a land long ago and far away, there lived a beautiful princess ...."

I do not know whether Delta has a translation problem, whether they are just making up things on the fly, or what. Life, as an old person, is filled with disappointments and surprises. But spiking my prune juice?! That's going too far.

Where the hell is Joe McCarthy when you really need him? Can this really be a Communist conspiracy?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• alc3261

• DustyR

• Cordovian

To be honest I'm surprised Delta hasnt been slapped over for false advertising, just taking their fusion nib for example, any science student with a basic understanding of thermodynamics can tell you that having a steel nib with a gold plate on top does nothing in regards to the claim that it "improves ink flow". It is a very pretty nib and performs beautifully but whether it has a plate of gold on it or not will make no difference in ink flow.

I think Delta’s pseudo-scientific claims for its “Fusion” nib and “Harmonic” steel nibs irritate people because, well, it demeans their intelligence.

Many years ago, even before the time when you were running around diapered in animal skins, Yamaha claimed their speaker cones were special because the paper was made from the pure waters of Mt Fuji; Leica claimed their cameras were special because it was manufactured to tight 0.01 mm tolerances at a time when that was the minimum specification for Japanese camera manufacturers who routinely exceeded it; Parker (my memory may be faulty on this one) claimed their gold nibs were special because it contained other precious metals like platinum and rhodium when in fact they were impurities in very minute quantities left over from the refining process; Shell claimed their gasoline were special because it contained “Platformate” when in fact it was an essential ingredient added to all gasoline.

Yamaha, Leica, Parker Shell, “fine Italian resin”, “precious resin” claims are, in my opinion, examples of advertising hyperbole based on some truth. Delta’s claims, on the other hand, are outright lies. There is a difference.

While I agree that the claims about the Fusion nib are far-fetched, they do a have a different feel than every other steel nib I own. For lack of a better word, they have a "dampened" feel that is similar to gold. And although my sample size is small - four Delta's with Fusion nibs and about 30 contemporary and vintage steel alloy-nibbed pens - it's big enough to convince me there is some real difference there. And for what it's worth, ink flow is good on all four Deltas.

Edited by DustyR

1. Their "rollerball" is a capped ballpoint, using a Delta ballpoint (not really) cartridge, not, e.g., a Schmidt roller refill.

2. What the hell is a "non stop roller?" The card has a picture of an (uncovered) ballpoint, but no explanation of this new? product.

3. Ditto a "Demonstrator Gift." We know what a demonstrator is/does - no picture of anything like that.

Firing from the hip again, eh?

Had you first asked, you might have pointed to numerous pictures of the Demonstrator. Go here, for example: http://www.pengallery.com/delta-fusion-82-gift-demonstrator-fountain-pen-set/

As to whether their metal alloys are special or their rhodium precious, that's subjective and depends on each individual.

"Rollerball" vs. "Non-stop Rollerball: Before ordering you should have first enquired about the differences between the two; the apparent assumption that they are somewhat the same is what led you into an unhappy situation.

What you call a "ballpoint", Delta calls a "rollerball". And what you call a "rollerball", Delta calls a "non-stop rollerball". Go here: http://www.deltapeninternational.com/348-fusion-82

The "non-stop rollerball" works with a normal fountain-pen convertor or standard cartridge and can even be used as an eyedropper.

Edited by FriendAmos

What you call a "ballpoint", Delta calls a "rollerball". And what you call a "rollerball", Delta calls a "non-stop rollerball". Go here: http://www.deltapeninternational.com/348-fusion-82

The "non-stop rollerball" works with a normal convertor or a standard cartridge and can even be used as an eyedropper.

Stipula calls them speedball pens. In the US, saying you're using a speedball might raise an eyebrow or two. :)

10884-ClearDemo.jpg

A thought: if everyone (almost everyone? a majority? convention? Not just me, Amos) calls it a cat, and you want to call it a dog, you are welcome to, but you're going to confuse people. Here's a definition for rollerball: First produced by Pentel in 1963, they use ballpoint writing mechanisms with water-based liquid or (later) gelled ink, as opposed to oil-based viscous ballpoint ink. The characteristics of these less viscous inks give rollerball pens their distinctive writing qualities. Initially designed to combine the convenience of a ballpoint pen with the smooth "wet ink" effect of a fountain pen. A disadvantage is that the rollerball refill does not last as long as those in ballpoints because ink is dispensed more quickly to create bolder writing. There are also cartridge-rollerball systems, which follow the functional principle of a fountain pen with (fountain) ink cartridges. The writing tip is used again and again and need not be discarded. Also, rollerballs are made which are filled by a fountain pen-like convertor; both of these are economical and environmentally friendly. Lower maintenance than a fountain pen.

I have little say in what names Delta gives to things, but if they're going to call it a rollerball, it ought not to use a ballpoint cartridge.

And if I am going to publish advertising material, I would think I might want people to have an idea (spelled picture) of those things about which I was talking, especially if those terms are uncommon.

I, too, like Delta pens. I, too, use them. But shouldn't they be about getting millions of additional people doing the same?

if they're going to call it a rollerball, it ought not to use a ballpoint cartridge.
But shouldn't they be about getting millions of additional people doing the same?

Ought not to? Is that definition set in law (whose?) or is part of nature or what? The understood meanings of quite a few words change over time, and even within a given time period the same word can have mean different things in different places (consider "British English" vs. "American English" vs. "Other English".) I see no reason why Delta (or anyone else) should not be able to use the word to mean whatever they like. Pay attention to what is on offer beyond just the label; otherwise you will end up in many unhappy situations.

I can't speak for Delta and what they "should be about". My guess is that they are about making money, rather than just "millions of people". In a world of so many ballpoints and rollerballs, they need their own gimmick. So why not sell ballpoints "rollerballs" at the low end; and for those who are prepared to shell out a bit more, they have rollerballs "nonstop rollerballs". It's a tough world, and everyone is looking for an angle: ordinary cheap plastic gets in big bucks when it's precious resin; and pretty plastic brings in even more when it's fancy, limited-edition**, celluloid.

**If one has an unlimited supply of the material, then it becomes a numbered edition; for just a number, the punters remain similarly excited and friendly with their wallets.

Edited by FriendAmos

Poor Delta. I'm sure they mean well. Anyway, I love my Delta's and fusion nibs. My next big purchase will be a "Delta Italia Penna Galleria Doue" with a fusion nib.

Poor Delta. I'm sure they mean well. Anyway, I love my Delta's and fusion nibs. My next big purchase will be a "Delta Italia Penna Galleria Doue" with a fusion nib.

Someone has suggested that they be slapped for false advertising on the fusion nib. I can see the witnesses in court right now: "Yes, your honour. The nib is undoubtedly a scam, and I knew that right away. But I bought it anyway. And I'll tell you this for free: it's a pretty good writer---as good as gold and better than most steel."

Edited by FriendAmos

Actually, I hope Delta doesn't stop making the alchemy claims for the Fusion nib. It's been so much fun discussing it.

Great thread. I personally believe that the source of this non sense is just an oldfashioned and misguided idea of advertising communication. Delta is a small company and most Italian small enterprises cannot afford to hire professional marketing managers. Their copy might just be an afterthought while they put all their efforts in the product. I am not trying to justify them though.

While I agree that the claims about the Fusion nib are far-fetched, they do a have a different feel than every other steel nib I own. For lack of a better word, they have a "dampened" feel that is similar to gold. And although my sample size is small - four Delta's with Fusion nibs and about 30 contemporary and vintage steel alloy-nibbed pens - it's big enough to convince me there is some real difference there. And for what it's worth, ink flow is good on all four Deltas.

My gold bit fell off and the nib still feels exactly the same.

I polished the glue off and left it plain.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Glue? Given that glue is not a good conductor of heat, Delta's dodgy alchemy claims are even more questionable. Still, a neat way to make good money from little bits of steel.

Glue? Given that glue is not a good conductor of heat, Delta's dodgy alchemy claims are even more questionable. Still, a neat way to make good money from little bits of steel.

Yep, glue.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I put mine back on with a tiny dab of mirror cement. Worked like a charm. Pen was empty when I knocked it off so I didn't even try it without the gold bit.

Would you judge your Fusion nib as having a distinctly different feel than a Bock or Jowo of the same line width? Mine even sound different on the same paper.