Assorted Cartridges - Standard International

Chouffleur

In keeping with a suggestion from someone here a few months ago, I just purchased a cartridge pen (Pelikan P30) as a way to give a number of colors a quick trial in a single pen.

I know that Levenger and Diamine offer snack packs composed of different colors and wondered if other ink brands do the same.

I admit that I bought the pen more for the way it looks and as an entry-level Pelikan than to test colors per se but now (or at least as soon as it arrives) that I have this opportunity I might as well take advantage of it.

Any pitfalls here? Warnings about the pen? Extra cleaning steps between ink color changes?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chouffleur

• tinta

• Abner C. Kemp

• Rach31

I don't know if this is a pitfall, but I have the opinion that it does not take much of the previous ink to change the character of the new ink. So, scrupulous cleaning is crucial.

I too have a dedicated pen, a Kaweco Dia2 (with a pair of 14K edged nibs) to be my cartridge-only travel pen.

Initially I had difficulty trying to "encourage" a balky Kaweco/Bock 060 feed system to deliver a generous enough flow if ink. Pendleton had to make modifications to both of my feeds.

I've tried Kaweco's own inks & Pelikan's as well, but the ink flow continued to be very poor (even though the nibs were adjusted on the wet side). A favourite ink, Pelikan blue/black (which I managed to get in short carts) just would not write.

Waterman is know for its free flowing, well behaved inks & the colours that I've tried to date have certainly lived up to this reputation. The only problem with Waterman inks is their less than inspiring colour palate.

I would like to try similarly well behaved inks that can be purchased in international short carts. To this end, the Diamine assortment packs will probably be my next ink purchase.

The cleanup of a cart-only pen should not be a problem. All you need to do is to flush the section thoroughly before installing the next cart. Sometimes I'll use up two whole short carts before I do a flush, if they're the same ink. A rubber ear syringe or a de-soldering bulb is an efficient way of "blasting" out the old ink from the pen's feed.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Monteverde offers a mixed set of cartridges.

Waterman does as well:

http://www.goldspot.com/products/waterman-multi-color-fountain-pen-ink-cartridges-set-of-8

And Montblanc:

http://www.goldspot.com/products/montblanc-multi-color-fountain-pen-ink-cartridges-set-of-8

Btw, no affiliation with Goldspot but a satisfied customer. I would HIGHLY suggest the Montblanc inks, some of my very favorite colors.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Levenger, although quite pricey, also has a sample pack of their inks in cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of everyone I can find who sells standard international cartridge assortments (no warranty expressed or implied):

Diamine x 5 (20 Cartridges in 5 colors) - Classic, Elegance, Floral, Regal, Sovereign

Kaweco (48 Cartridges in 8 colors) - Complete Color Collection

Levenger (12 Cartridges in 12 colors)

Monteverde (12 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Assorted

Mont Blanc (8 Cartridges in 7 colors) - Multi-Color

Private Reserve x 4 (12 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Blue & Purple, Black & Brown, Greens, Red & Orange

Seitz-Kreuznach (14 Cartridges in 10 colors) - Colors of Nature - Assorted Colors

Thornton's (12 Cartridges in 10 colors) - Short Standard Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges, Assorted Ink

Visconti (7 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Multi-Color Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges

Waterman (8 Cartridges in 8 colors) - Multi-Color Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges

If you know of more or have corrections to these please let me know.

Chouffleur, thanks for compiling this list. This is just what I need.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Diamine x 5 (20 Cartridges in 5 colors) - Classic, Elegance, Floral, Regal, Sovereign

Kaweco (48 Cartridges in 8 colors) - Complete Color Collection

Levenger (12 Cartridges in 12 colors)

Monteverde (12 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Assorted

Mont Blanc (8 Cartridges in 7 colors) - Multi-Color

Pelikan Edelstein (6 Cartridges in 6 colors) Multi-Color Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges

Private Reserve x 4 (12 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Blue & Purple, Black & Brown, Greens, Red & Orange

Seitz-Kreuznach (14 Cartridges in 10 colors) - Colors of Nature - Assorted Colors

Thornton's (12 Cartridges in 10 colors) - Short Standard Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges, Assorted Ink

Visconti (7 Cartridges in 6 colors) - Multi-Color Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges

Waterman (8 Cartridges in 8 colors) - Multi-Color Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges

Oh, Chouffleur, you have missed so many cartridges. There are many no-name carts available from ebay, the various online shops, etc. And in so many colors. Still, I think a good converter and a bottle of ink is a much better way to go.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

But, not if you want that "one" cart dedicated pen. :D

Oh, Chouffleur, you have missed so many cartridges. There are many no-name carts available from ebay, the various online shops, etc. And in so many colors. Still, I think a good converter and a bottle of ink is a much better way to go.

Best of luck,

I have a few pens with converters in them and a few bottles of ink. The idea I'm embracing here is something like attending a dinner party where all that is served is canapés or tapas or zakuski. If I like the little bit of cheese on a Ritz cracker then I'll consider buying a wheel. ;-)

• 6 months later...

Hey, this was a great addition, thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 11 months later...

If you search on eBay for

80 Standard, International Size Fountain Pen Ink Cartridges (pick from 9 colors

you will find a guy who will let you make your own assortment, and the 80 cartridges will cost about what you would pay for 10 gourmet ones. That said, this and several of the already mentioned assortments do get you a pretty standard palette. You can get more of those from Manuscript who has at least three assortments. Search eBay. Ditto for Thornton cartridges which are really cheap, though not always a good guide to what's in their bottles.