Pelikan Schreibgeräte : Differences Between The First And Second Editions?

mana

Hi,

managed to find a fine copy of Pelikan Schreibgeräte 1927 - 1997 and was wondering what are the main differences between that and the second edition which covers Pelikan pens up to 2004? Were there any changes to the previous chapters or are they largely the same in both editions?

As I am mainly interested in vintage Pelikans (100/100N/400) the first one should suffice well.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• sargetalon

• Christopher Godfrey

Congrats on finding a copy! The works cover the same content, with the second edition going a bit further chronologically. Still, things are presented a bit differently in each. The second edition is better in some ways and falls short of the original in others. I think both copies are varied enough as to not be redundant. I think anyone truly interested in the brand would be well served by having both copies. That's just my 2 cents.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Congrats on finding a copy! The works cover the same content, with the second edition going a bit further chronologically. Still, things are presented a bit differently in each. The second edition is better in some ways and falls short of the original in others. I think both copies are varied enough as to not be redundant. I think anyone truly interested in the brand would be well served by having both copies. That's just my 2 cents.

Hi and thanks for the reply! :) Funny, there is actually one first edition copy for sale here in the classifieds (US based seller IIRC) and when I started looking around I also found one other first edition copy for sale in Germany (got mine from Germany also). Usually rarer than hens teeth so it is funny to see three available at the same time (plus that one guy from Singapore on ebay who asks for something like $699 for a copy, sheesh...).

Hmmm... I wonder if a third edition will be ever produced? Might have to stay on the lookout for a second edition copy, if I recall correctly the print run for those was very limited (500 for Pelikan and 1500 for general market).

Edited by mana

The run was limited unfortunately. Took me a year and ultimately a trade to find a 2nd ed. copy. Definitely worth it though. I doubt that we will ever see a 3rd edition, at least not from the original authors. These editions usually go for $175-250. That $699 price has been up for years and going nowhere.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Okiedokie... Now I have both volumes coming my way ;) Found a still in shrink wrap copy (one of the Pelikan ones with a silver colored paper band around the book) of the second edition. Paid around the market price (210€ with S&H) for that one, it should arrive sometime next week.

Good that I have something to tide me over, waiting for that minty first edition copy this week along with a nice post WWII green binde 100N sporting a 14k B-nib, nice change from the EF/F/M/N nibs I already have. Hopefully that with the usual flex.

Hello, Mana! Joshua was kind enough to offer me similar advice when, about a year ago, I managed to buy a first edition copy -- and although I am sure he is right about wanting both editions, I am (like you) primarily interested in vintage pens -- 100/100N/400 and 400NNs -- so have not searched for the later edition...

For our purposes, I think everything we need is in this first one. Now, what about the other book on the subject of the Pelikan <brand>? We probably need that one...

Yup, will let you know my thoughts when I get the second edition copy (hopefully tomorrow already). Just received the first edition one, it is a pretty damn cool book albeit a bit slimmer than I thought it would be. Good print quality and it goes without saying that it is golden content wise, can't wait to read it proper. :) Now the other books... there is that brand book that Pelikan commissioned (the one you mentioned) and also the book on Pelikan ephemera and advertising that is interesting ("Deutsche Werbegeschichte Am Beispiel Günther Wagner – Pelikan" by Heinz Rings). I actually just bought a post WWII grey binde 100N & black matching pencil from him. Small world... :D

Here is a link to what is essentially a complete Pelikan library if you're interested; https://thepelikansperch.com/database/books-about-pelikan/. The second edition Schreibgeräte is not simply a few years added to the end of the book. It's a complete revision with new photographs and other info which proved very worthwhile. Again, the two volumes each have strengths and weaknesses but I think the clearest picture of the brand emerges when both volumes can be taken together. I'd be interested to hear your opinion when you've had a chance to review both volumes Mana.

Thanks, as ever, Joshua! (You da man! As they say...)

Just a short holler about them editions, got the second one today. Hmmm... visually and aesthetically the second edition trumps the first one, hands down (even though I have to say the pictures in the first edition are sometimes technically better, some of the second edition studio shots lack contrast). But yeah, there are more pictures and some of the ones in the first edition have been upgraded to color versions or swapped entirely.

If I had to choose just one I would most definitely pick the second edition, it has a lot more content even on the vintage pens. In addition to that most of the typographical errors have been corrected and the somewhat lacking English translation has been improved upon. Definitely a must have for Pelikan collectors, I have to say.

Really nice of the seller, also included with the second edition was a 1984 Pelikan leaflet/mail order brochure of different kinds of promotional materials (posters, those metal shields etc.) and even more cooler, a copy of Pelikan Historisch Siegelmarken für Sammler, a vintage style folio/leaflet containing three 12 stamp sheets depicting 36 of the older Pelikan commercial posters/ads, really cool :) It too was made in 1984 for Pelikan.