Got 2 Waterman Pens, Did I Do Well?

drjmb

Had Waterman's pens since the 80s, mostly Laureats. I was looking for an old Waterman 92 on e-bay when I found a deal (I hope!) on a white Expert Deluxe and a Carene Contemporary with 18k gold nib rhodium plated and palladium clip and trim. These are usually out of my price range but I sniped the Expert Deluxe for $50 and the Carene for $105. They are near mint, in boxes, but both have been used, I'm soaking/cleaning right now. As a newbie, did I get hosed or am I OK? Both pens are great writers.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drjmb

• Erik Dalton

• praxim

"Great writer" is my first criterion no matter what I happen to spend. From my limited experience I think you can be happy with those prices and certainly will be with the pens. I have an Expert and would buy it back for $50+ without a problem. It is a very smooth and reliable pen and I hear nothing bad about the Carene.

X

I think you did fine with your Expert and Carene prices. The two that you chose are my favorite watermans for everyday writers. Goodluck, enjoy them.

After cleaning and filling, the Expert is a wonderful! writer albeit a bit wet. It's also a bit broader than Fine. However, I'm afraid to use the Carene. Is that normal?

Lol...yea the Carene can be intimidating to look at. I'll let you in on a secret. Most Carene owners say that they are smoothest writing pen they have ever owned. Once you find its favorite ink it will transform into dear friend. Fear not.

As for the wetness of the Expert, I suggest you change inks until you find the ink that tames it for you.

I tune all my nibs. I like them smooth and wet. The one nib I do not mess with are my experts. Beyond making sure the tines are aligned and a few passes on the polishing pad, I do no more. I've found the Expert nibs to be the least tolerant towards my affections. As experienced as I am these days, I still hold to that rule. I've ruined 3 experts trying to tweak the nib to be a bit wetter, a little more dry or a touch smoother. They will take these actions only so long then simply give out. I know of no other nib with as little spring to its metal. Don't practice your nib tuning on the expert.

I recently received a Captain's Commission from Mr Pen. It is advertised as a wet writer but I was not prepared for how wet this pen writes. My normal tonic for a pen that writes too wet is Aurora Blue. I have used it to that advantage for years. Even the Aurora blue could not tame this pen. Eventually it was Montblanc Midnight Blue that slowed down the flow and turned a gusher into a really sweet writer. In between those two inks are the Pelikan Edelstein Inks, well saturated and a bit slower moving in my experience.

My Carenes prefer a more free flowing ink. Yours may as well. Don't get frustrated with it. Treat it like a lady and it will respond in kind. Start off with waterman blue and work from there. Once you get writing with it, I think you'll really get to like it.

There are plenty of Carene threads on here. They are covered pretty thoroughly. If you get stuck, must ask...good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. Report on the Expert Deluxe, F steel nib. Loaded with Levenger Cobalt Blue and it's my current favorite writer. I threw out all of my vintage pens and those with gold nibs. (Just kidding.) W.O.W.!