Trametes Versicolor (Turkey Tail) - Kingdom Note

visvamitra

Kingdom Note is japanese shop that tempts westerners with their choice of Sailor inks grouped into series inspired by nature: Insects, Birds and fungi. Fungi series consists of five colors.

fpn_1467661930__kn.jpg

I've received samples of three of them so you can expect to see almost full line in coming days.

1. Amanita Muscaria
  2. Entoloma Virescens
  3. Mycena Pura
  4. Stropharia Aeruginosa
  5. Trametes Versicolor

Trametes versicolor called also Turkey tail is a common polypore mushroom found throughout the world. Meaning 'of several colours', versicolor reliably describes this mushroom found in different colors. By example, due to its resembling multiple colors in the tail of wild turkey, T. versicolor is commonly called turkey tail.

Sailor interprets this color as blue-black. Well, recently I'ver came to enjoy some blue blacks (especially Robert Oster's Blue Night) but this one is average. Of course behaviour is rather nice, it won't cause any suffering to your pens nor blledthrough / feathering on cheaper papers. If you spill the water on notes taken with Tremetes versicolor, you'll still be able to read them after the accident. That's all fine but we already have it elsewhere for less money (unless of course you leave in Japan, then you're happy and can enjoy this inks for reasonable price).

If you love blue-blacks and want to collect them all you can try this one. It won't however stand out from the crowd. To be honest I find Lamy Blue/Black more interesting.

Ink Splash

fpn_1467647658__trametesversicolor_is.jp

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1467647668__trametesversicolor_rk.jp

Software ID

fpn_1467661749__trametesversicolor_l_3.j

Tomoe River - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper, B

fpn_1467647721__trametesversicolor_tomoe

fpn_1467647729__trametesversicolor_tomoe

fpn_1467647736__trametesversicolor_tomoe

Leuchtturm 1917 - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper, B

fpn_1467661729__trametesversicolor_l_1.j

fpn_1467661739__trametesversicolor_l_2.j

fpn_1467661758__trametesversicolor_l_4.j

Clairefontaine - Visconti van Gogh, M

fpn_1467647678__trametesversicolor_clair

fpn_1467647687__trametesversicolor_clair

Oxford - Hero 5028, stub 1,9

fpn_1467647703__trametesversicolor_ox_1.

fpn_1467647711__trametesversicolor_ox_2.

Water resistance (30 minutes of soaking)

fpn_1467647694__trametesversicolor_h2o.j

Comparison

fpn_1467647618__blueblack.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikaa

• white_lotus

• saskia_madding

• amberleadavis

Thanks again for all your hard work.

:)

I've plateaued with inks at the moment.

Yes I have (thanks in part to you) a long wish list but have managed to hold off recently . . . :rolleyes:

Is that a hint of red I'm seeing (especially on the Tomoe River paper? OOOOOH.... :puddle:

Sigh. Another one to add to the list. Thanks for the review. And not..... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review, Vis. Not bad, but I'm glad I haven't gone out of my way to get this one. I have too many blues and blue blacks as it is...

Vis, on this one, we disagree. The first time we tried it, I was bored. Then, I went back and looked at my writings. I am thrilled with this ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

When I reviewed this ink using a Pelikan M200 I got a much darker ink than shown here. It was quite shady, and does sheen red on Tomoe River paper. I liked it. The Kingdom Note fungi inks have been sold out for some time. I'm not sure they're ever expected to return. And even so, they'll be nearly impossible to attain outside Japan at any reasonable cost.

I beg to dissent on this one. :) I absolutely LOVE this ink. I kind of think it's complicated and lovely, and I was so thrilled with it, i'm pretty sure I got a back up bottle. I was late to the love of blue-blacks, so I don't have many, and this one does stand out among the crowd of 15 inks in that colour range I have. It's sheeny and shady, and if you mix it with the light blue fungi ink in the same series, it makes such a pretty colour. :)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00375_zps722fd9c6.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00372_zps9ed6e75a.jpg

(ps. there are some pictures in my original, ancient review of this ink, including a close up of the sheen in the bottom picture - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282183-kingdom-note-trametes-versicolor/?hl=trametes)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kingdom%20Note/DSC00340_zpsf457daf5.jpg?t=1420577724

Wow, I am surprised. This shades and sheens so nicely that I thought it would be everyones's favorite. Reminds me a lot of Hakodate Twilight. It is one of several out of the many that I have several bottles of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like it!

But I'm so depressed its price and availability.... I think I can only find a replacement... but will my search end successfully.... don't know yet ;)

Stop searching for what is unobtanium as the "Fungi" series is gone, gone, gone. Discontinued even. There's a ton of great blues out there.

white_lotus I'm open to other blue black, but I just want to something with similar blue hue, and with shining like Fungi :)

I'm not, or should I say I was not, a fan of blue black. I have only GvFC Midnight Blue, is nice but more gray.

So, I have many to discover, but if you could give me a tip, what I can/should try, I'll be grateful :)

edit: Diamine Oxford Blue and Midnight looks interesting, I will try it.

And Oster Blue night...but this ink will be more difficult to get

Edited by Nikaa

This is one where I went out of my way to find it. I had a sample and I kept coming back to it. When you see it in person, it is different and it writes beautifully.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is one where I went out of my way to find it. I had a sample and I kept coming back to it. When you see it in person, it is different and it writes beautifully.

Agreed. One of my favourite KN inks.

Verba volant, scripta manent

white_lotus I'm open to other blue black, but I just want to something with similar blue hue, and with shining like Fungi :)

I went though my review sheets and couldn't find anything that matched. But there are many inks I don't have for comparison. Sailor Jentle Blue actually was closest of what I've reviewed, but that doesn't mean there isn't something closer. There probably is. Maybe someone with a bigger selection can identify something.

If blue blacks aren't a favorite then there's no rush, and you can try some samples to see if there is something you like. Good luck.

@white_lotus

I'll try to get sample of Sailor Jentle Blue.

Next to try will be Diamine Majestic Blue, maybe De Atramentis Indigo/Dark Blue.

Also Diamine 150th anniversary Regency Blue looks interesting, and maybe similarly.