Lamy Service And Bob Nurin

MYU

Now I wish I had taken pictures!

It was over three weeks ago, so it's hard for me to remember, but many past Safari LEs were there, including the orange with red clip, and the aquamarine. There was also a Dark Lilac that is now up to $80 asking price.

I spent some time looking at some Lamy Accents, but they were beyond my budget for the trip. But I did take the time to buy some NOS Tipo rollerballs to give as gifts.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• ErrantSmudge

• penmanrdn

• Calabria

Now I wish I had taken pictures!

It was over three weeks ago, so it's hard for me to remember, but many past Safari LEs were there, including the orange with red clip, and the aquamarine. There was also a Dark Lilac that is now up to $80 asking price.

I spent some time looking at some Lamy Accents, but they were beyond my budget for the trip. But I did take the time to buy some NOS Tipo rollerballs to give as gifts.

Yes, definitely a picture moment -- must remember next time! ;)

I was curious if he had any 27's... I'm smitten with that pen and the wonderful range of optional nibs (imagine an oblique triple broad!).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Yes, definitely a picture moment -- must remember next time! ;)

I was curious if he had any 27's... I'm smitten with that pen and the wonderful range of optional nibs (imagine an oblique triple broad!).

It wasn't that kind of collectible ... mostly Safaris in various colors. I didn't see true vintage models. I'm not a fan of "collector" prices either ... $80 for a 2 year old Safari??

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Yes, I didn't see vintage (defined as pre-Lamy 2000) models at his table.

And yes, Bob was asking $80 for the Dark Lilac Safari. It's not too extreme since it (a) was a limited edition and no longer in production and a very popular color, so it went into the pantheon of pricey LE Safaris quickly.

Lucky me - I went two tables down and found a random pen vendor offering a used Dark Lilac in mint condition (no original packaging) for $25, so I bought it - FOMO won me over. It was even inked with a blue cartridge.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

And yes, Bob was asking $80 for the Dark Lilac Safari. It's not too extreme since it (a) was a limited edition and no longer in production and a very popular color, so it went into the pantheon of pricey LE Safaris quickly.

Lucky me - I went two tables down and found a random pen vendor offering a used Dark Lilac in mint condition (no original packaging) for $25, so I bought it - FOMO won me over. It was even inked with a blue cartridge.

Good for you!

I went a few tables down and haggled for hours over a Edition 2000 and finally bought it. They don't appear very often.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It wasn't that kind of collectible ... mostly Safaris in various colors. I didn't see true vintage models. I'm not a fan of "collector" prices either ... $80 for a 2 year old Safari??

Me either. I can't stand that intentional limitation of colors to drive up exclusivity (and thus prices). I've got one charcoal Safari and one Vista. That's fine enough for me. I remember reading about someone buying a Savannah Safari for something like $150 back about 5 years ago. Seems ludicrous... for just a color.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I can't stand that intentional limitation of colors to drive up exclusivity (and thus prices).

The Dark Lilac sold for the same price as other Safaris when it was in production.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Penmanrdn,

Thank you much for posting this. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Sweet! Thanks a gabunch, Anthony. I am trying hard to like this Lamy of mine. Perhaps there is hope after all.

xoxoxox

L

Humph, my dark purple pen won't even write. I think I got of via eBay and it certainly wasn't expensive. Maybe upper teens.

Edited by Lyric

Humph, my dark purple pen won't even write. I think I got of via eBay and it certainly wasn't expensive. Maybe upper teens.

If you bought a dark purple Safari via eBay for a price in the upper teens, there is a reasonable chance it is counterfeit.

Sweet! Thanks a gabunch, Anthony. I am trying hard to like this Lamy of mine. Perhaps there is hope after all.

xoxoxox

L

:blush:

Hi Lyric,

I really wish I could take the credit... but it was actually Penmanrdn that ferretted out their new service address.

Thank you, all the same... I still appreciate your friendly kindness. :D

- Anthony

Penmanrdn is in fact Bob Nurin, the one and the same performing Lamy service.

• 2 weeks later...

If you bought a dark purple Safari via eBay for a price in the upper teens, there is a reasonable chance it is counterfeit.

I'll bet it is,humph. Probably came from China or some such. For what it's worth, okay, it is writing now (f nib); but guess what - I don't like it. So far my Pilot Metro and TWSBI are proving to be my loves.

Edited by Lyric

• 1 month later...

Bob provided excellent service beginning in 2012 for my Dialog 3, which for the longest time suffered from its shutter mechanism getting out of sync with the barrel. After a number of trouble-free years, fumble-fingered me recently dropped the pen on its nose, distorting the section's port. Poor Bob had to be the bearer of bad news that the D3 section isn't repairable, and that Lamy doesn't supply the section as a replacement part.

No time too tight, no task too tall

With feet to fire and back to wall.