Frankenflex! Noodler’S Ahab With A Zebra G Flex Nib

NickiStew

Here’s the story: I was looking at some images on Janinesribbles instagram account and loved not only the way she called her customised creations ‘Frankenpens’ but she got some good lines too, so I thought I’d have a go and call mine ‘Frankenflex’. Now, there are several videos out there on this very subject of pen customisation for the Zebra G, most of which involve shaving the feed component down to accommodate the shape of the nib! I did this with an Ahab and it worked okay, but not for long. I then took apart my Desiderata and had a look at the feed component within. What I immediately noticed was the depth and size of the feed channel, the zebra G needs ink! So no more feed shaving! Take note!

So what I did was take another Ahab, gave it a good clean and extracted the feed and nib from the body. Taking a new degreased Zebra G nib I put the back of the nib between a pair of pliers and gently applied some pressure flattening it a little. I then placed this onto the feed to see if it fitted correctly. I repeated this process 3 times until it did. Now, a zebra G flex nib is slightly thicker than a Noodler’s flex nib so how to get it back into the body? All the ink chemists and pen engineers know exactly what I did don’t you? Yup, I put the kettle on, and once boiled poured hot water over the main body chamber. This process expanded and softened the plastic allowing me to push the feed component, with Zebra G nib, into the body. After a little jiggling to line up the nib accordingly, I waited for the plastic to cool. Then filled up the pen and BINGO! I had a great time. The pen behaved superbly with great flow, great line thickness variation and provided I didn’t get too speedy, limited railroading. Overnight of course the ink dried a little and the next time I used it I had to dip it into the ink bottle to kick start the action, which is no different to the experience I have had with the Ahab in any case. I now know the issue and now do you. When I get the time, I’ll deepen the feed channel and I think I’ll be there.

So why an Ahab? Well I have 6 of them so why not? But that’s not the real reason, the Ahab is already set up to be nib customised, but importantly, it’s a comfortable pen and far more comfortable that using a dip pen and thats the main reason why I have done this. Provided you get the position between the nib and feed correct, the fins work by sucking up the ink via capillary action into the feed channel so where previously I might have got 4-6 words written from a single dip, I now get 18-20! The feed acts as reservoir and it’s far more efficient than a clip on. Now I can use it fully charged for larger projects OR purely as a dip pen for ink testing! And it’s easy to clean too.

So there we have it. As soon as my titanium Zebras arrive I’ll be customising my other 4 Ahabs to Frankenflexes too.

Please click here for my website: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com

img_0384.jpg

img_0337.jpg

img_0350.jpg

img_0354.jpg

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• inkstainedruth

• J_MM

• NickiStew

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work. I've put a zebra G into a Gama Raja ebonite pen. Works really well although trimming the feed was a lot of work. I found sandpaper was the fastest way to shape the feed to fit the G nib.

Once I got this working it was clear to me I won't be using my Noodler's or FPR flex nib any time soon. The G nib really puts them to shame.

The plus side for me would be that Zebra G nibs are designed to really flex. The downside is that they don't have tipping. I have a prototype Desiderata pen and the nib I had on it dug into almost every paper I tried the pen on (and I mean *good* paper like Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Tomoe River). Turned out that I had a bad nib, but I didn't know that at the time (I got to meet Pierre Miller last summer at DCSS, and the test pens he had at his table were much more nicely behaved). So at some point I will probably see about getting a box of Zebra nibs and play with the pen some more.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

AMAZING!!...

I have friends that swear the Jinhaos (450 and 159) are made for this modification. Nothing to do to the feed, just replace nib and go.

I haven't tried it yet, I might have to after seeing Nick's pics... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

The plus side for me would be that Zebra G nibs are designed to really flex. The downside is that they don't have tipping. I have a prototype Desiderata pen and the nib I had on it dug into almost every paper I tried the pen on (and I mean *good* paper like Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Tomoe River). Turned out that I had a bad nib, but I didn't know that at the time (I got to meet Pierre Miller last summer at DCSS, and the test pens he had at his table were much more nicely behaved). So at some point I will probably see about getting a box of Zebra nibs and play with the pen some more.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Downside is you also have to replace them about every 2-3 months as they corrode normally (little longer for the titanium coated ones).

So the nib will corrode before you have to worry about wearing down the tipping (And the corrosion will impact how much more 'scratchy' it feels).

Far as digging into smooth paper, at the time I Didn't really have a grasp at using flex, so it's more a matter of using it correctly so that you're not dragging across its side when flexing.

AMAZING!!...

I have friends that swear the Jinhaos (450 and 159) are made for this modification. Nothing to do to the feed, just replace nib and go.

I haven't tried it yet, I might have to after seeing Nick's pics... :wub: :wub:

Now this sounds interesting. I think I'll order another 159 and try a Zebra in it. I'm not much for tinkering with feeds.

C.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 2 years later...

This has my interest in that it might be a way for me to practice my calligraphy in the break room w/o a lot of setup. Has anyone successfully modified the Jinhao 450 or 159? From what I'm reading on Amazon, the Noodler's Ahab is a piece of, ummmm, (bleep).

Anyone successfully place a Nikko G nib, on a FP, and it worked well?

Thanks, D