What Pen In Your Collection Have You Used The Longest?

joshua.andrews59

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshua.andrews59

• Jerome Tarshis

• jar

• Wahl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still relish my Sheaffer PFM I received in 1959 -- 57 years and still a great writer

Parker 51 bought new in 1970.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The pen I've had the longest is a Cross Bailey. I don't use it because it only takes cartridges.

Montblanc 149 from 1970, high school graduation present from my parents, and used almost continuously ever since. It was my EDC from 1975-1990 or so, when I dropped it on Ninth Avenue in Manhattan and chipped the cap. Ever since it's been my home desk pen (see signature below...), since 2010 drinking MB Midnight Blue with an occasional fill of MB Royal Blue, but until then always MB or Lamy or Pelikan black. 45+ years of continuous service. Not bad.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I have had the Waterman Phileas since 1990-91, and an Esterbrook J-series & Sheaffer Triumph 550. The Waterman was a gift from the physician I worked for, and that started by journey with using fountain pens. However, the pen that gets the most use in my small collection is the Jinhao X750 (2008) with either the broad nib or 1.1 Goulet stub. There is always one inked, though I do not often refer to it. The Jinhao has proven to be reliable time and time again, and it fits my hands perfectly.

I have several of my dad's fountain pens that I remember using as a kid in the early 1970's. My daughter now will pick one up and write with it, the third generation to use these pens.

Well there has been many one night stands, but I am always glad to go back to good old 149.

Made me laugh!

VICTRIX FORTUNA SAPIENTIA

My longest in use pen is my Lamy 2k. Not my favourite pen but just so darn reliable in every setting.

How durable is this pen? I have one, but I usually leave it at home for the fear of it cracking.

My oldest pen is my Pelikan 140 given to me by a dear friend many years ago, which started me out on this crazy fountain pen journey!

Sounds like your friend was the enabler! I'll have to give Pelikan a go one of these days.

Thank you for your input!

I still relish my Sheaffer PFM I received in 1959 -- 57 years and still a great writer

That is some mileage! Thank you for sharing, so far I think you have the oldest pen that is used.

My mother gave me an Esterbrook SJ when I was in third grade and pencils were outlawed in the classroom (except for math). That would be...60 years ago. I still use it every day. It's had one new sac and still writes wonderfully.

How durable is this pen? I have one, but I usually leave it at home for the fear of it cracking.

Very durable in my experience. Survived several drops and I do not give it any special treatment. I tend to treat it like a lowly ballpoint.

Since about 1998. My Lamy Al Star. Until December 2012 it was one of two. I did change the section as it broke on the threads and has some signs of use (light scratches and a small ding). But works like a charm. It now has a 1.1 stub nib as I changed it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

What Pen In Your Collection Have You Used The Longest?

That would be the Parker "51" Vacumatic my mother gave me

in the early 1950's..which by the way I'm still usin'......................

I hope this was helpful in some way.............................................

Fred

"What do you mean you didn't mean to steal the map"

Sir Ralph Richarson

My oldest pen is an Esterbrook J that I've had since 3rd grade (1955)...originally with a 1551 nib but currently sports a 2284 nib, which I love. It's currently being resacced/cleaned. The photo is of my second oldest pen which my Mom gave me when I started highschool in 1960. Its a great writer with awesome feedback which only a Sheaffer School Pen can give you. I wouldn't part with either pen for the world.

post-36725-0-02472100-1467318821_thumb.jpeg

It amazes me how many of the answers to this thread involve school pens that are untipped, and in theory should have worn out years ago. I guess Sheaffer and Esti knew something about making untipped nibs.

ron

The pen I've had the longest is a Sheaffer my mom got for me in 1993 when I was 10. I haven't been able to identify it yet.

In terms of longest used, i.e. the most time spent actually writing with a pen, is my Lamy 2000. Seems like every time I clean it out and put it away, it isn't long before I ink it up again.