Montblanc Meisterstück Ultra Black

Mulrich

I think you would be much happier with a pelikan if that was the case. Pelikans are pens first and status symbols second. Most modern mb's eschew that ratio and become a status symbol first and a pen second

Yup; which is why I generally carry a Pelikan and not MB. I still enjoy using MBs in my office but I don't carry them around much.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dorf

• Pravda

• amcityink

• Stef

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Waterman, Cross, Parker, Pilot, Shaeffer, Platinum, all of these companies have failed since they stayed in the entry-level market? Meanwhile Omas, another brand that receded to the ultra-high-end, went completely bust without the BS marketing campaign. So yes, that's why MB is still around despite leaving the most active markets for fountain pens. TWSBI completely lives at the low- to mid-end of the market and they are probably the most popular brand among new enthusiasts. Montblanc's fan base are largely aging, and with no draw to the younger generation (with a few special exceptions, myself being one of them, though for reasons other than advertising and "image") their customer base will only get smaller. The decision to pull out of the low end was a response to ballpoints only just becoming widespread, but now fountain pen interest and use is on the rise, just not in Montblanc's target demographic. Treating the market now exactly the same as the market forty years ago is absurd. They'll go the way of Omas before too long.

This is what I hate about the brand. It's why Montblanc is the butt of so many jokes in the community. It's such an immature mentality, and it's why Montblanc's QC has been allowed to slip while they remain so successful.

Let's look at the facts. Except for Pilot and maybe Cross, the other brands you mention have all declined drastically compared to 30 or 40 years ago. I dont know much about Platinum as the higher end pen market in Japan seems to sustain the big 3 Japanese brands. Montblanc on the other hand is as big as ever and the brand is recognized the world over today. The brands you mention would kill to have the stature of Montblanc today in the market. So you tell me who made the smarter move decades ago.

There's nothing wrong with entry level, as Cross and Pelikan are some of my favourite brands and I have many of their entry level pens, but we are talking here about Montblanc and how they cleverly thrived by abandoning the lower end of the market and focusing on high end much like Rolex. There is nothing wrong with that either is there? They are not stopping you or me from enjoying entry level pens. They are not preventing companies like TWSBI from catering to the entry level market. It's more intriguing though how Montblanc evokes such strong emotions in some to hate the brand.

I don't think there is any correlation between age and Montblanc. Timeless design, beauty and elegance attract both young and old. I hear stories all the time of young people rewarding themselves with a Montblanc for achieving a milestone or a job well done. I know a newlywed couple who bought a Montblanc to use as their ceremonial pen to sign their wedding certificate.

Edited by max dog

Yup; which is why I generally carry a Pelikan and not MB. I still enjoy using MBs in my office but I don't carry them around much.

Haha now youre tempting me quite a lot to get a pelikan, still undecided between a m1000 or m800 though >_<

After thinking about the stealth pen awhile, I realized that (1) it's a "me too" pen that MB probably would never have considered if every other brand hadn't already come out with a stealth model, and (2) it's carelessly executed, as several here have already pointed out. It looks like it has been rushed to market just so MB can say they have a stealth model. Even if I liked this sort of thing, I doubt I'd be very impressed.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

After thinking about the stealth pen awhile, I realized that (1) it's a "me too" pen that MB probably would never have considered if every other brand hadn't already come out with a stealth model, and (2) it's carelessly executed, as several here have already pointed out. It looks like it has been rushed to market just so MB can say they have a stealth model. Even if I liked this sort of thing, I doubt I'd be very impressed.

+1

Plus its aimed at the young/school generation.

Reminds me of the starwalker rubber pen, which i personally don't like.

Sounded good on paper....

Edited by Nathanb

I do not particularly care for "black on black", or "stealth" goods. However, jmccarty3 is true when he notes that there is an obvious vogue about this particular "lack of colours" combination, and not only in pens. You may find an analogue, recent trend in fine watches, and the stealthy wave has a solid group of admirers and buyers.

This attention to the trends by Montblanc is admirable, in my opinion, and I think that it is a direct effect of the new directorship of the brand under the tenure of CEO Jérôme Lambert. He is obviously trying to find an equilibrium and a reasonable mix of products to support both the quite conservative group of Montblanc's traditional customers (as well as new clients attracted by Montblanc's conservative image), and a new target made by people interested in the brand's allure but looking for less traditional products.

As I told, I am not a client for their stealthy 146, but I am happy seeing them trying to expand their market and maintain their leadership with a mix of "innovative" and traditional products. This means they will not only survive in the difficult market of fountain pens (where other extraordinary brands perish), but also be able to make available to us – the conservative segment – Meisterstücks in rose gold, and even a 149 in platinum trim, together with new pens boldly inspired to traditional models of the house, like the Heritage collection, which probably do not "speak" to the target of younger customers.

I do not particularly care for "black on black", or "stealth" goods. However, jmccarty3 is true when he notes that there is an obvious vogue about this particular "lack of colours" combination, and not only in pens. You may find an analogue, recent trend in fine watches, and the stealthy wave has a solid group of admirers and buyers.

This attention to the trends by Montblanc is admirable, in my opinion, and I think that it is a direct effect of the new directorship of the brand under the tenure of CEO Jérôme Lambert. He is obviously trying to find an equilibrium and a reasonable mix of products to support both the quite conservative group of Montblanc's traditional customers (as well as new clients attracted by Montblanc's conservative image), and a new target made by people interested in the brand's allure but looking for less traditional products.

As I told, I am not a client for their stealthy 146, but I am happy seeing them trying to expand their market and maintain their leadership with a mix of "innovative" and traditional products. This means they will not only survive in the difficult market of fountain pens (where other extraordinary brands perish), but also be able to make available to us – the conservative segment – Meisterstücks in rose gold, and even a 149 in platinum trim, together with new pens boldly inspired to traditional models of the house, like the Heritage collection, which probably do not "speak" to the target of younger customers.

+1 agree. Stealth is not everyone'c cup of tea but at least Montblanc offers something for a fan of the stealth look.

Just had a quick look at these in the cabinet at lunch time. Nice.

I agree that they may not appeal to the long term fans, but I like the new look. I need to handle one in the flesh but I disagree that they look more plastic, as the so called "precious resin" is just a high quality plastic, and looks like one. Texture can be an upgrade.

The stealth look is a good thing. I don't want to flash my pen around, I just want to privately enjoy a quality product.

I just played with one in the Tampa boutique a few hours ago. The name Ultra Black is very deceptive. A regular 146 is much darker than this pen. The blind cap and other normally gold parts are a smoky chrome color. The cap and barrel are a dark gray. It will NEVER be mistook for black. This is a very gray pen. Without attempting to damage the pen, I did my best to feel the finish on the barrel to see if it would easily scratch. It's tougher than it looks. It is not soft, rubbery, velvety etc... I think it's a cool pen but I'm shaking my head at the higher than 146 price tag. Did I mention that there was NOTHING black about this pen?

2 things wrong with it.....

1) needs a matte grip section

2) not a 149

3) it is not terribly black

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

"Ultra" is a very strange word for a shade of black that isn't any blacker than the black of an existing MB Meisterstück. I guess they can now market the main product line as "Super Ultra Extreme Black"

I got a chance to handle the pen at the boutique this weekend. It's nice... a lot nicer that I thought it'd be.

It's not a coat, it feels as if the resin had been mixed with the best powder to create the look and texture. I doubt you can peel it away without damaging the integrity of the pen.

While it's not really and "ultra black" pen, it's good looking. And honestly, thankfully it is not an "ultra black" pen. That would be hideous IMO.

Let's look at the facts. Except for Pilot and maybe Cross, the other brands you mention have all declined drastically compared to 30 or 40 years ago. I dont know much about Platinum as the higher end pen market in Japan seems to sustain the big 3 Japanese brands. Montblanc on the other hand is as big as ever and the brand is recognized the world over today. The brands you mention would kill to have the stature of Montblanc today in the market. So you tell me who made the smarter move decades ago.

There's nothing wrong with entry level, as Cross and Pelikan are some of my favourite brands and I have many of their entry level pens, but we are talking here about Montblanc and how they cleverly thrived by abandoning the lower end of the market and focusing on high end much like Rolex. There is nothing wrong with that either is there? They are not stopping you or me from enjoying entry level pens. They are not preventing companies like TWSBI from catering to the entry level market. It's more intriguing though how Montblanc evokes such strong emotions in some to hate the brand.

I don't think there is any correlation between age and Montblanc. Timeless design, beauty and elegance attract both young and old. I hear stories all the time of young people rewarding themselves with a Montblanc for achieving a milestone or a job well done. I know a newlywed couple who bought a Montblanc to use as their ceremonial pen to sign their wedding certificate.

Brilliant Idea!!! Now I will justify buying this new Ultra Black to sign my divorce certificates!!! ;) Sort of a fitting design.

Brilliant Idea!!! Now I will justify buying this new Ultra Black to sign my divorce certificates!!! ;) Sort of a fitting design.

If unavailable, the MB Hitchcock could also be very fitting ;)

I bought this pen (Ultra Black - classique FP M). I love the distinguished look, and of course the way it writes.. I've read all three pages here and respect people not liking it for this and that. Too each their own.

But to me it's screaming Heavy Metal - Punk Rock. The only thing it's missing is a skull on the clip.

Looks like my flat black Gibson SG... (that's also called Ultra Black) along with my flat black Marshalls with dark silver knobs. Also with the extra metal on each end mixed with the shade of black reminds me of my old Leather Schott MC Jacket. Maybe John Varvatos should sell them in his high end "Rock Star" retail stores, fits perfect with his clothing and jewelry designs. Great gift for James Hetfield or Ozzy.

As for those who say it's not black, it's more grey, you can almost say that about anything that's Flat Black... Flat Black has always been considered a deeper black. Mixing paints, military modeling... Flat Black has always been my favorite color. Holding this pen in my hand.. it's Deep Black.

As for the Shinny Black pens look more expensive... I don't know if I agree with that 100%. Shinny Black Plastic always looked a bit cheap to me... on anything. If you held a Ultra BLK in one hand and a Shiny BLK in the other and showed them to 100 people who know nothing about MB, I have a hard time thinking the majority of people would say the Shiny BLK one looks more expensive. (my wife and kids all picked the Ultra BLK as looking more expensive).

The Flat BLK is a bit mysterious, is it black metal, or rubber...mean while the shiny pen screams cheap plastic, not high end German Resin. I have a 1911 Sailor that looks identical to a MB and is $500.00 cheaper.

Perhaps they kept the sleeve shiny because it's the part that will get touched the most and it won't get worn out?

Love it... Hope they come out with .7 pencil.

Edited by amcityink

I was very turned off by this new model ... However ... After seeing it in person, I really quite enjoyed it. My main concern is that the matte finish looks as though it may be worn off over time near the cap end and barrel. My other resin pens have faint scratches near the grip section from removing and replacing the cap. I really like the feel of this finish in hand. Somewhat rubbery in nature. I will likely pick up a ballpoint version to avoid and scratching of the finish and for those occasions when a FP isn't practical. Will post photos of I pick one up.