• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poetman

• Lam1

• Sandy1

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems that there really aren't many piston fillers that cost less than $200, and of those none satisfies all your criteria. Heavier piston fillers tend to be a bit more expensive.

The three that I know to be heavier (M215 & CH92 & Lamy 2000) are silver trim. I have/ have had these three and prefer the M215 which IMO has a better design and is better made - the added weight, compared to the M200, makes it really lovely.

But if you really want to satisfy all of your criteria, you will most likely have to spend more. In that case, I would suggest saving a bit and going for the M800 as several people suggested. The only thing to watch for is if when you hold the pen the end of it rests in your hand, otherwise it can be uncomfortable (I imagine) since it is a bit back heavy due to the brass piston casing. In my opinion the M800 is almost the perfect pen.

Edited by Lam1

When I say weighty, I only mean slightly heavier than the all plastic M200. I am not looking for a heavy pen though. It seems like so many pens are CC, which I find so unmoving having used the piston-fill for a while--unless there's a CC (not cartridge) that allows me to draw a comprae amount of ink from a bottle.

Edited by Poetman

When I say weighty, I only mean slightly heavier than the all plastic M200. I am not looking for a heavy pen though. It seems like so many pens are CC, which I find so unmoving having used the piston-fill for a while--unless there's a CC (not cartridge) that allows me to draw a comprae amount of ink from a bottle.

I understood what you mean by weighty, and those mentioned fall in the category that you want (except the M800, perhaps).

I never did any measurements, but I believe that international converters hold a fair amount of ink. Also, I believe that any pen with Pilot's Con-70 would hold an amount of ink comparable to the M200. Have a look at them (I'm not sure, but I believe the 742 uses the con-70). Pilot makes some great pens.

I compared this Schmidt converter to the M200 ink capacity, and the piston-fill system held about 3x the amount of ink.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2300/9dda3/products/258/images/497/BV5iNQ2kKGrHgoH_CQEjlLl1C88BKU3hnw5t_12__89236.1368131361.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Oh, I didn't know that. But, based on my experience and what is in this page,

http://www.nibs.com/fountain-pen-converters.htm

That doesn't seem to apply for most international converters.

The con-70 from Pilot seems to hold 0.9- 1.0 ml, depending on where you look (see this site

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/08/pilot-converter-ink-capacities.html ).

This isn't much less than the M200, which holds 1.2 ml. And if you like fine nibs the con-70 last "forever", considering that a pilot F (or M) puts down a really fine line.

Good luck.

Edited by Lam1

Hi,

Hmmmm

Even though you shun pens with hooded nibs, if I may colour outside the lines and be a bit of a Jill In The Box, a capillary-fill Parker 61 Flighter just might be an option. Even if the ink might run-out, there is lots of inky residue in the membrane, so dipping the pen in [distilled] water will allow legible writing for several days. Out of blonde curiosity I've charged a P61 with a high dye-load ink, wrote through the day then dipped the pen in water at the end of each day. It did well for quite some time.

As a matter of personal practice I prefer my pens to be charged with fresh ink. Filling my Sonnet twice a day is a pleasant break, and reminds me that I too should be recharged. (Is that bacon & eggs frying, coffee brewing and bread baking?)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

My suggestions on Pelikan have more or less already been stated. But to recap: the M600 and M800 series are larger and use brass piston mechanisms, so will be heavier than the M200 (I have an M800 as well as a couple of M20x and that has been my experience). There is one M2xx variant that has a number of rings along the barrel; I'm not sure if it is a M205 or M215; I have one and it is a bit heavier than the vanilla M200.

You might also want to look and see if you can find a used Lamy 2000; these are great pens, piston fill, and just give a larger in the hand feel. Another pen that sometimes shows up in listings of vintage models is the Aurora 88 type. Also piston fill, larger than the Pelikan M200 and heavier feel to me at least.

Looking forward to learning what you end up doing!

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Are the Con-70 cartridges compatible with other pens?

I understood what you mean by weighty, and those mentioned fall in the category that you want (except the M800, perhaps).

I never did any measurements, but I believe that international converters hold a fair amount of ink. Also, I believe that any pen with Pilot's Con-70 would hold an amount of ink comparable to the M200. Have a look at them (I'm not sure, but I believe the 742 uses the con-70). Pilot makes some great pens.

Are the Con-70 cartridges compatible with other pens?

Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. The intention was to refer to other Pilot pens that can take the con-70, since not all of their pens accept that converter (example: vanishing point). But, as far as I know, only (some) Pilot pens are compatible with the con-70.

You know, before this thread I never noticed that there weren't any gold trimmed pens that fall in the category you mentioned, while there are plenty of silver trimmed ones. It's weird!

Best of luck in your search.

Okay, so if I have to be flexible, and settle for silver, what do my options look like? People mentioned the M215--is it heavier than the 200? Do other brands/models come to mind?

M200 = 0.49 oz

M215 = 0.74 oz

Source: thepelikansperch.com

M200 = 14 g

M215 = 20 g

Source: pelikan-collectibles.com

Edited by carlos.q