The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue

australian inks justwrite.com.au blackstone colours of australia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 15:09

This is the second of what will (probably) be an incomplete set of reviews for Blackstone Colours of Australia inks.  The two blue colours are my favourites in this range - neither of them a classic 'Royal' blue, but both with their own distinctive appeal.  

According to the JustWrite website, Sydney Harbour Blue is "a dark grayish blue ink inspired by the grey blue waters of Sydney Harbour when the sky is overcast on a rainy day down on the harbour".  Which sounds really boring, right?  Besides, having caught the Manly Ferry more than once during my teenage years (when I lived on the northern beaches of Sydney), I have to say I don't remember Sydney Harbour's waters being a grayish blue!

Thankfully, the ink is much more interesting than the webpage description.  To my eyes, it's more of a dark blue with dark green overtones - you could almost call it a dark teal.  What makes it even more interesting is that the saturation levels produce an interesting sheen, especially when Tomoe River paper is involved.

Here's a photo of my review - the scan was too dark, and didn't do the ink justice in terms of colouring:

2016-06-27 14.53.24.jpg

Here's what the sheen looks like (in appropriate lighting!) on Rhodia paper (using my new cheapy macro lens attachment for smartphone):

2016-06-29 01.00.07.jpg

And on Tomoe River paper:

2016-06-29 01.01.40.jpg

I wasn't really sold in this ink at first - it's not a Royal Blue, nor a blue-black, and doesn't have the brightness of Barrier Reef Blue - but it didn't take long for me to find myself really liking it.  As with Barrier Reef Blue, it flows really well in all of my pens - it can occasionally be a bit hard-starting, but once it gets going it just keeps on going...

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 15:58

And for the people who say Barrier Reef is the best in the line...... is because they haven't met Sydney Harbour Blue...  :D  :D

This is me FAVORITE ink in this line.  I have it in a 1.5 TWSBI stub and is just an AMAZING ink...  

Between this and Barrier Reef... the last one is more trouble free.  I also get the occasional hard start.  But, it still is a great flowing ink (if you dont mind the occasional hard start..  ;))

Color wise.. is just FANTASTIC!!!  

Thanks again for an amazing review...  :D

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 18:03

Wooooah....

That sheen is AMAZING.  Thanks for the review (and not)....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2016 - 19:46

Although I adored BRB, Cyber6 and I agree, this ink is terrific and I keep it with me.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: australian inks, justwrite.com.au, blackstone, colours of australia

Sponsored Content

|