Sheaffer Targa 675S, Regency Stripe Repair Question

Henri-C

I recently found this vintage Sheaffer. I'm kind of a novice when it comes to Fountain Pens, so I was wondering how I could get this pen up and running again. I think there is ink dried up inside, so how can I clean that out?

Thank you very much for your precious help,

Henri Cosemans

post-130739-0-92934300-1467118436_thumb.jpg

post-130739-0-40238900-1467118451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henri-C

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Henri-C

• pen lady

• fpnnm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pen should unscrew in the middle. If there is a press-bar converter in there, I would pull it out and clean it first by repeatedly flushing it with clean water. Don't submerge the "business" end too far, this will give you the chance to check that the sac in the converter is in good shape too. While you are doing this, soak the whole nib end in water too, then re-assemble the pen and use the converter to help flush out even more old ink. If there is no converter, just an old cartridge, remove it and soak the nib end as before. If you have some way of forcing clean water through the pen such as a bulb syringe with the tip cut to size that helps too. These syringes are sold at pharmacies in the baby goods section, they are used to clear tiny noses of mucus. Nice pen by the way, it's from the 80's and will be very reliable once it's cleared of old ink.

Is it the full-size or slender version? The full size has a slightly tapered barrel and the clutch ring in the middle is rounded at the top. Cartridges and converters for the slender model are hard to find. If it is full size though, then there are few problems.

Edited by pen lady

The pen should unscrew in the middle. If there is a press-bar converter in there, I would pull it out and clean it first by repeatedly flushing it with clean water. Don't submerge the "business" end too far, this will give you the chance to check that the sac in the converter is in good shape too. While you are doing this, soak the whole nib end in water too, then re-assemble the pen and use the converter to help flush out even more old ink. If there is no converter, just an old cartridge, remove it and soak the nib end as before. If you have some way of forcing clean water through the pen such as a bulb syringe with the tip cut to size that helps too. These syringes are sold at pharmacies in the baby goods section, they are used to clear tiny noses of mucus. Nice pen by the way, it's from the 80's and will be very reliable once it's cleared of old ink.

Is it the full-size or slender version? The full size has a slightly tapered barrel and the clutch ring in the middle is rounded at the top. Cartridges and converters for the slender model are hard to find. If it is full size though, then there are few problems.

Thank you very much. I got it all up and running again, it's a very smooth reliable writer.

I think the model I have is the slender version. but it still had an old cartridge inside, I cleaned it and filled it with ink.

Sincerely,

Henri Cosemans