The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Blackstone Barrister Black

blackstone just write nano ink black australian

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2016 - 23:42

A couple of months ago I received a sample vial of Blackstone Barrister Black, and have had one of my pens (a TWSBI Diamond 580) constantly inked with it ever since.  I didn't know at the time that it was nano-pigement based, only that it was supposed to be permanent (and may require more frequent flushing to be safe).  I've actually found it to be a very well-behaved ink - good flow, minimal clogging, fantastic waterproofness.  A little slow-drying, and sometimes needs a little 'encouragement' to get started writing after a weekend layoff, but otherwise I'm really impressed..  I'll try and upload some photos of papers that I've soaked later - for now, I'm attaching a scan and a photo of my review sheet.

Scan:

Blackstone Barrister Black.jpg

Photo:

2016-06-27 14.04.40.jpg

If you're wavering about trying this out, I'd suggest ordering a sample vial - available from JustWrite.com.au in Australia, or Anderson Pens in the US.  My 30ml bottle (purchased out of my own funds) has just arrived - this'll be one of my two go-to Black inks for the foreseeable future!

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:02

Yep.. I have been quite impressed with both Barrister Black and Barrister Blue..   Blue is coming soon...

I was also extremely surprised is nano pigmented ink.  It behaves quite flawlessly. :wub: :wub:

My daughter just made a sketch with it... I should posted.  :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:30

Yep.. I have been quite impressed with both Barrister Black and Barrister Blue..   Blue is coming soon...

I was also extremely surprised is nano pigmented ink.  It behaves quite flawlessly. :wub: :wub:

My daughter just made a sketch with it... I should posted.  :D

C.

I've just gotten a sample of Barrister Blue with my latest order from JustWrite (I just purchased the Barrister Black, some pen flush, and a dip pen).  True confession, I asked if he would be happy to send me a sample when I read your mention of it on another thread - and I agree, it's a pretty nice ink.  Not as 'colourful' as the 'Colours of Australia' inks, but a really solid 'workmanlike' ink.  I need to put it through its paces some more, though...

#4 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:46

OK, here are some writing samples that demonstrate the ink's waterproofness.  Written on Clairefontaine 90 gsm paper, allowed to dry for 10 or 20 min, then sprayed (and wiped) or soaked in water:

2016-06-28 12.35.42.jpg

There seems to be some 'surface wash-off', which can be completely wiped away, or which slowly dissipates with the longer soaking - leaving a pretty indelible 'imprint' on the paper.  I don't know if the ink would bind more firmly if I left it longer, and/or used a more absorbent paper - but I think this gives a pretty good picture of how waterfast the ink is.  Very impressive, in my books!

[Edited to add: The blue 'wash' on the third sheet is extraneous and unrelated to the black ink - I set the sheet down to dry on another piece of paper, and the (non-waterproof) ink from that paper soaked through...]

Edited by Jamerelbe, 28 June 2016 - 02:55.

#5 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:05

Nice review. What does it mean "minimally clogging"?

#6 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:13

Nice review. What does it mean "minimally clogging"?

Good question - that was probably poorly worded! I was warned the ink may clog because of the nano-particles, but I haven't had any issues, apart from the occasional hard start after a few days of non-use. So" minimal clogging" really means none...

#7 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 14:57

OK :)

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 18:36

Thanks for the review.  I don't really need another black ink, but this one looks good.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 mostlyutalitarian

mostlyutalitarian

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2016 - 21:43

Has anyone performed a fading test on this ink? Would love to see that before I grab some.

#10 hsianloon

hsianloon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:32

Thanks for the reviews...I think youre one of the users who've single handedly reviewed most of the blackstone inks ! 

Usual questions with these 'permanent' inks, any issues with clogging ? I know they say its all nano pigments etc but that questions instinctively comes up. I had the Sailor nano pigments and they were solid performers albeit at a steep cost.

#11 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:56

I have not experienced problems with clogging - but did have a problem with some of the nano pigment adhering to the wall of my TWSBI Diamond 580. My fault for leaving it in there for 3 months or more without cleaning - but I now have it in a Lamy Safari instead...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackstone, just write, nano ink, black, australian

Sponsored Content

|