Newbie Pretending To Know What She Is Doing

JaunShuan

Hello everyone! :) I have never used forums before but after quietly creeping posts here on FPN, I figured I should make an account and join in on the fun. I am looking forward to meeting new people whom I can talk to about fountain pens, because most of my friends aren't into pens -_- If anyone from the Edmonton Fountain Pen Club is reading this, please let me know when the next meetup is; I would love to join you!

I am currently studying engineering at the University of Alberta and I started using fountain pens about a month ago. Since then, I have amassed a small collection of fountain/dip pens:

• Pilot Penmanship (EF)
  • Pilot Plumix
  • Jinhao 599 and 599A (M)
  • Lamy Safari (EF)
  • Lamy Nexx (M)
  • Noodler's Ahab
  • Ohto Poche (F)
  • Manuscript Leonardt (Copperplate & Shadow and Round Hand Set No.1)

I also like (and have too many) mechanical pencils and gel pens, but I won't list those here because this isn't Mechanical Pencil and Gel Pen Network.

Pens that I have ordered and are on the way:

• Jinhao 159 (M)
  • Jinhao 606 (F)
  • Pilot 78G (M)
  • Pilot Metropolitan (F)
  • Pilot Parallel Set
  • Kaweco Skyline Sport (BB)
  • Lamy Al-Star (F)
  • TWSBI ECO (EF)
  • Monteverde Limonada (M)
  • Monteverde Impressa (F)

Listing all of the fountain pens I have purchased within the first month is really making me realize how far gone I am. I also have tons of inks and papers on my wish list.

Pens on my wish list but I really shouldn't buy now because I would like to keep at least some of my money:

• Cross Botanica
  • Faber Castell Loom
  • J. Herbin Spiral Glass Pen
  • Lamy 2000
  • Lamy ABC
  • Lamy Dialog
  • Lamy Studio
  • Noodler's Creaper
  • Noodler's Neponset
  • Ohto Dude
  • Pelikan Twist
  • Pilot Kakuno
  • Pilot Prera
  • Pilot Vanishing Point
  • Regal 82 William
  • Sailor Fude DE Mannen
  • Visconti Homo Sapiens

Help me.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JaunShuan

• estie1948

• torstar

• Helen350

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!! Sounds like you've jumped in with both feet! Enjoy!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to FPN and greetings from Detroit, Michigan. Looking forward to your future posts. Enjoy your time here.

Welcome !

Slow down. Take a deep breath. Make time to use each of your acquisitions for a few weeks, at least. This is supposed to be fun. (Poverty is not fun.) Consider keeping a journal of what you like and dislike about each of your fountain pens.

As an engineer, have you considered the science and innovations that have been incorporated into a fountain pen ? I am fascinated by the genius that has been gathered, just to control the way ink "leaks" onto my paper.

Write with joy.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sounds like you've jumped in with both feet!

You can definitely say that!

As an engineer, have you considered the science and innovations that have been incorporated into a fountain pen ? I am fascinated by the genius that has been gathered, just to control the way ink "leaks" onto my paper.

I actually just took a fluid mechanics course last semester and we covered capillary action! Fun fact: it is the same phenomenon which causes water to travel up a paper towel and also allows sand to stick together so we can make sandcastles.

Slow down. Take a deep breath. Make time to use each of your acquisitions for a few weeks, at least. This is supposed to be fun. (Poverty is not fun.) Consider keeping a journal of what you like and dislike about each of your fountain pens.

I do intend to put a halt to my pen purchases for a while, though I may buy more inks and paper. Poverty isn't fun, and tuition definitely doesn't help. As for a journal, I have been keeping my writing samples in a notebook and I am considering starting a blog to use as my online journal for inks, pens, and pencils.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Welcome. I also am a newbie. Be careful of becoming an accumulator. I've been through two cycles already. Nothing substitutes for touche la plume.

Welcome !

Write with joy.

Sasha I thoroughly agree with you. Too much debt can ruin your admiration for these beautiful pen!

Welcome to the FP Community. I will say it has taken me some 'years' to collect my pens. FP debt can surely spoil your appreciation for these beautiful pens. You're still young, so slow down and appreciate what you already own.

A time to acquire like a fiend.

A time to acquire less so like a fiend.

A time to accumulate debt.

A time to pay it off, while buying only a few new items on impulse.

Oh man! Newbie also here! It seems like you certainly have dove head first into the FP world!

I hope you enjoy your new pens! The Pilot Metropolitan was my first pen and I absolutely still love using it the most out of my small collection.

I definitely have myself on a buying schedule so then I don't make myself poor, especially with my other interests having a claim on my wallet! I usually allow myself to buy one pen every 3 months or so, and so I definitely have to choose wisely.

Welcome to FP Network! :)

- Ri

:W2FPN:

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Hi there , before it is too late I think you should sign yourself into a Pen Rehab prog you are seriously afflicted and need the best possible help that you can get, I have no idea where that is but maybe there is someone on these forums who can help you!!!! Good Luck with that!!!

Hello, JaunShuan, and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad to have you join us. What is everybody talking about? You can't fly on one wing, you can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs, you can't dance in the rain without getting wet. Eh, there is some truth to the rapidly acquiring debt noise they are making.

Enjoy your pens and inks and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.