Micro Scratches--How Do They Happen?

kendowater

As a user of quite a collection of fountain pens, I've noticed the trend that pens LOVE picking up millions of micro scratches from God knows where. I can understand that some appear from just gently putting it on the table or from tiny fibers on clothing, but I came upon a strange and very infuriating idea that possibly many of the scratches I am getting are coming from my own bathroom sink where I do my normal cleaning...

I recently purchased a Platinum #3776 and after literally two day of use, the barrel was riddled with scratches. Apparently these pens are prone to scratching, which I didn't really know before now, but it wasn't too bad because it was only the barrel; the cap was in perfect pristine condition.

I cannot express how much I hate scratches, but I realize that pens are tools, and tools are going to have blemishes, but I want to have a pen for more than a week before it looks like it went through a war. Asking too much maybe? I am not rough with my pens by any means, in fact I covet them more than even my cell phone!

Today I was going to clean the 3776 where I normally clean my pens, at the bathroom sink. I began washing the pen under the sink water to get off the oil from my hands from normal use, and before long I felt a sensation that I've felt before with pens while washing them: the pen began to feel "grippy" and had a kind of slight grit to it as opposed to a nice smooth touch like that of a soda bottle which it had before.

Suddenly, it occurred to me, "is this thing becoming scratched right now?!"

I pulled the pen away from the running water and inspected the barrel under a loupe and LED light: riddled with micro scratches. Next I checked the thing I knew was perfect, the cap: now as bad as the barrel.

It took me a second to take it all in.

---

1. What is scratching my pens?

- Hidden grit from the tap water?!!?

- My fingerprints?!!?

- Hidden dirt from my hands???

2. Does anyone else experience the "grippiness" of a pen after it was cleaned?

-Is that natural?

-Is the scratches causing that sensation/feeling?

3. What can I do to prevent this?

4. Are certain materials more prone to scratching than others?

-Resin?

-Plastic

-Celluloid?

---

I would really appreciate any feedback anyone can offer!

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kendowater

• zwack

• Runnin_Ute

• mr2txaggie

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that your water runs through iron pipes anywhere before it gets to your tap?

I know some of our pipes are iron, and our water contains tiny flakes of iron. The easiest way to see this for me is to remove the aerator head from the kitchen sink, and inside the head I will see small pieces of iron. Smaller pieces won't get caught in the aerator head.

I don't know that this is the source, another possibility is scouring powder not completely rinsed off. maybe somethjng stuck to your hands...

These are just guesses.

One thing to consider is something that I read in an article. With what do you dry your pens/nibs? This article said do NOT use a paper towel or even a tissue paper. They could have " pulp-ish " particles in them.

It went on to say that it is better to use something like a cotton cloth. I use a very old 100% cotton t-shirt. In fact I've found that especially an old GRAY one seems even softer. When the shirt gets older it gets softer. Then it is relegated to drying pens/nibs. I have another one designated for cleaning my eye glases.

Then I have even another one for when I'm filling my pens with ink. That one has all of the colors of the rainbow!

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Also, your tap water is likely to contain traces of minerals - and if you are, as I suspect from what you have written above, washing your pens under a running tap, water and its contents can be quite abrasive.

Edited by View from the Loft

Here in beautiful suburban Tecumseh, Michigan, southeast part of the state, the tap water smells, unless you have a water softner, and then you have salts in the water. You might do more filtering, but there is more than H2O in the water. How's your water?

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Is it possible that your water runs through iron pipes anywhere before it gets to your tap?

I know some of our pipes are iron, and our water contains tiny flakes of iron. The easiest way to see this for me is to remove the aerator head from the kitchen sink, and inside the head I will see small pieces of iron. Smaller pieces won't get caught in the aerator head.

I don't know that this is the source, another possibility is scouring powder not completely rinsed off. maybe somethjng stuck to your hands...

These are just guesses.

I think this is a tremendous possibility. My sink has a reddish rust to it. I read that this was due to iron!

Also, your tap water is likely to contain traces of minerals - and if you are, as I suspect from what you have written above, washing your pens under a running tap, water and its contents can be quite abrasive.

Yes, I realize this now! It didn't seem right because I know so many who just use tap water! I should have been more cautious!

After all how did we get the Grand Canyon? Water and its contents. ;)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain