Grandpa's Parker 21 / Found - Writes Like A Champ

FPRebel

Looks like a great pen. It is definitely a Mark 2 with the clip and the cap which doesnt have the band.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPRebel

• mitto

• pen2paper

• BLCL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 21 can be a very very good writer. I have one in burgundy color ( a 21 Super) whose nib is the smoothest of all my 51 and 21 nibs. In fact I am considering putting that nib in one of my 51s. And yes, I have some Super 21s that came with gold 51 nibs on them.

In my experience there is no differece in performance of the octanium Supet 21 nib and the gold 51 nib per se. The parker 51 special came with the same octanium nib as on the 21 Super.

Replacement body parts of the 21 and Super 21 are easily available.

This one is certainly a great writer, and now that it is loaded with Quink Washable Blue, I find it elegantly smooth. (Although, I have since read that the new Quink inks don't have the cleaning properties of older Quinks.) Mitto, this is not a Super 21; were the 21s also made with octanium nibs. There is some feedback, at the same time zero scratchiness. It's the first pen I've owned (which isn't many) where a distinct difference between feedback and scratchy were clearly defined. The feed keeps up elegantly, and the pen is a fairly wet writer, but not a gusher.

I clearly understand this is a bottom-line Parker for its day in this capped style. I love it all the more for it.

I very gently used a little BarKeeper's Friend on the cap, and it cleaned right up. (If you're not familiar with it, google this gentle non-abrasive cleaner)

Parts are readily available - how easy is it to replace the sac? That's my only concern. I want to keep it as original as possible. (Talc from Anderson's may be in today's mail.)

I bet your burgundy Super 21 is a gorgeous pen!! With a gold nib that would be a real stunner!

I know yours is not the Super 21. But the nibs on both 21 and Super 21, although not the same shape, are made of the same material - the octanium. And, hence, the same performace.

Khan M. Ilyas

Last evening I bought a badly deformed Super 21 for only $2 for the sake of the nice broad 51 gold nib that it carries.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Good writer. You have nice penmanship. You have a very nice heirloom. Use it in good health.

Some observations : The Parker 21 is a "budget" version of the very fine Parker 51. It has the same excellent function. However, the plastic used in the Parker 21 is thinner than in the Parker 51, and probably not the same plastic. In its extreme age, some Parker 21 pens are brittle. Handle with care.

Thank you, SashaRoyale. My handwriting satisfies me enough to want to improve it, and as it is now, it surely gets me by if I'm not rushing.

Thank you, too, for the explanation of why some 21s are brittle and end up cracking. I've read of posts about that but had not found the explanations. It's good to know. Absolutely I recognize the value of my pen as a collectible is negligible at best. It's value is to me; that it unequivocally belonged to, was maintained, and used by my grandfather makes its value priceless. I treat it as carefully as any prized possession.

Grandpa's pen never gets tossed in the pen cup with my paltry collection of other inexpensive fountain pens. In it's day, if it had been mine, that's exactly what I would have done with it.

Here's something that puzzles me about it: it would have been just like my grandfather to purchase the inexpensive 21 for himself; however, he wasn't a vain man. Quite the opposite, he was very humble, and I'm puzzled by HIS having had his first initials and last name engraved on the pen. Was it a gift? I wish I knew from whom. Or how did he come to own this particular pen that is in keeping with his kind, generous, humble demeanor, but also engraved which would be very out of his character for a pen purchased for himself?

It's wonderful to be a part of this community.

From what you say about your grandpa, the pen seems to have been gifted to him on some festive occasion.

Khan M. Ilyas

I forgot to tell you about the filling of ink with your Parker "21." After you squeeze the ribbed bar three times and pause a few seconds with the pen still in the ink, lift the pen up to emit 3 or 4 drops of ink in order to clear excessive ink from the inside of the shell. All of this procedure prevents possible leaking of the excess ink. If you do not want to do it that way, you can blot the nib and feed with a soft tissue, but you end up losing the ink on the tissue. If you choose to blot, blot enough to be the size of a 25 cent piece.

I have a 1948 Parker "51" Vacuumatic that my father gave me in 1955. It is probably the best pen that I own. Every so many years I have to have the rubber diaphragm replaced, but that is all. It is still next to mint condition. It means a great deal to me as your grandfather's pen means to you. The "51" pens do have very durable Lucite(plastic).

I have a "61" pen too. I have to be very careful with its shell and barrel because they can be brittle and crack, not the "51."

Again, my "21" in the fifties was a wonderful writer; I loved the way it wrote. If I ever find a "21" here in San Antonio, I will probably add it to my collection.

I know you will enjoy your grandfather's pen.

Have a great weekend.

B. Cole

As you review significant dates in his history, does a graduation, promotion, job change, new business, retirement or some such coincide with the manufacture dates of this pen with his initials?

Aahhh, now these are good questions! Thank you.

From what you say about your grandpa, the pen seems to have been gifted to him on some festive occasion.

I believe so!

I forgot to tell you about the filling of ink with your Parker "21." ?....

I have a 1948 Parker "51" Vacuumatic that my father gave me in 1955. It is probably the best pen that I own. .....

I have a "61" pen too. I have to be very careful with its shell and barrel because they can be brittle and crack, not the "51.".....

Again, my "21" in the fifties was a wonderful writer; I loved the way it wrote. If I ever find a "21" here in San Antonio, I will probably add it to my collection.

I know you will enjoy your grandfather's pen.

Have a great weekend.

B. Cole

The filling instructions are much appreciated and duly noted. I had not been aware of any of these recommendations. Reading about the 51 Vacuumatic that was a gift from your father made me smile. I can imagine how much you cherish it!! I'm not familiar with the 61. It sounds as though you have a lovely collection, and best wishes finding a nice condition 21 to round it out. Thank you for the weekend well-wishes. You, too!

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend!