Resac A "restored" Esterbrook Or Not?

Witsius

Should I resac my "restored" Esterbrook or not? I say "restored" because the person from whom the pen came claimed the pen was fully restored, but upon pulling the barrel off, I found a very rusty J-bar and a sac that was stained by rust and was not coated with talc. I figure the rusty Jbar is no big deal. It still works fine, and if it breaks, I can replace it. But I really don't want an inky mess from a failed sac if I can avoid it. The sac seems fine. Whether it is really new or not I can't tell because it is so stained with rust.

I have a new J-bar, sac, talc, and shellac on the way to me so that I have what I need to repair the pen in case of a failure. I'm just wondering if there is something I should be worried about with a sac that is actually stained with rust. Will the rust react negatively with the latex? Should I resac when my supplies arrive or just run it as is until something actually fails? What's your advice?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• ac12

• Witsius

• Larry Barrieau

Since you have the supplies and the knowledge to re-sac, and it only takes a few minutes to do the repair, do it if you think that the repair is needed.

If the sac is working and there are no holes or leaks, I would probably wait and see if a problem develops, but I may be lazier than most people. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to do (or had to pay someone else to do) additional repairs on a "restored" pen.

Does the sac seem pliable? If not, then re-sac. Or since you have already taken it apart, you could do it for peace of mind if nothing else. Then you know.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If the sac is stained with rust, my gut feeling is that the sac has been in the pen for a LONG time.

So....REPLACE THE SAC.

My general guideline is, if in doubt...replace, for peace of mind for the next 10+ years.

As for the J-bar. If the J-bay has enough spring in it, use it. If you are going to pull it, you can clean the rust off with sand paper or a small wire brush. Or use a 22 caliber rifle barrel bronze brush to scrub the bottom of the J-bar while leaving the J-bar in the pen. But be VERY careful with that brush. The barrel brush NEEDS to be LOOSE in the pen, or you may not be able to pull it back out. Those metal bristles do NOT flex like plastic bristles.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd replace the sac AND J-bar, just to be sure, especially if you plan on using the pen. A j-bar described as "very rusty" can be weak, and eventually break at one of the stress points, requiring another trip inside.

If installing one of today's new j-bars, be sure that there isn't too much tension at the "J" end. I've sometimes felt the need to bend that part in a bit, to insure that it doesn't push too much against the inside of the barrel when at rest. It seems to me that some of them were made for larger barrels.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Two bucks + 10 min. =. Resac

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 3 weeks later...

What ac12 and Hobiwan both said.

If always replace the sac unless it's obviously brand new, and if the J-bar is rusty I always replace that as well while I'm in there.

John L

The rust could just be from the J bar and other parts getting onto to the sac.... I think if the SAC is pliable and there isnt a lot of ink residue, I might just keep it as is.

Am I the *only* one who read "the person from whom the pen came claimed the pen was fully restored, but upon pulling the barrel off, I found a very rusty J-bar and a sac that was stained by rust and was not coated with talc" and thought

"That doesn't sound remotely restored to me..."?

I think that Witsius might have grounds for (if it was an eBay purchase) opening a dispute with the seller because the pen was not as advertised.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Am I the *only* one who read "the person from whom the pen came claimed the pen was fully restored, but upon pulling the barrel off, I found a very rusty J-bar and a sac that was stained by rust and was not coated with talc" and thought

"That doesn't sound remotely restored to me..."?

I think that Witsius might have grounds for (if it was an eBay purchase) opening a dispute with the seller because the pen was not as advertised.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

same here, that is why I recommended replacing the sac.

The problem with eBay is that some sellers think cleaning the outside of the pen to look nice = restored.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The problem with eBay is that some sellers think cleaning the outside of the pen to look nice = restored.

The problem with eBay is that some sellers think that simply replacing the sac and cleaning the outside of the pen to look nice = restored.

But they forget that cleaning the nib and feed, as well as checking the nib and smoothing are often necessary. I quit doing "sac only" repairs a number of years ago because in most cases neither I nor the customer are satisfied with the results.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The problem with eBay is that some sellers think that simply replacing the sac and cleaning the outside of the pen to look nice = restored.

But they forget that cleaning the nib and feed, as well as checking the nib and smoothing are often necessary. I quit doing "sac only" repairs a number of years ago because in most cases neither I nor the customer are satisfied with the results.

The pens I work on take me about an hour total time to get ready. I clean both the inside and outside of the pen, check the J-bar, polish both the hardware and plastic (that usual 5-step process), clean out any old ink and junk from the section, and flush out the nib and check the alignment. So far, I've had good response on what I do, and I am always learning how to do better.

And...I still don't consider what I do as restoration.

Edited by gweimer1

The pens I work on take me about an hour total time to get ready. I clean both the inside and outside of the pen, check the J-bar, polish both the hardware and plastic (that usual 5-step process), clean out any old ink and junk from the section, and flush out the nib and check the alignment. So far, I've had good response on what I do, and I am always learning how to do better.

And...I still don't consider what I do as restoration.

That sounds like a pretty thorough job, like you are restoring the pen to museum quality.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That sounds like a pretty thorough job, like you are restoring the pen to museum quality.

Thanks. Most of the Esterbrooks (and other pens) I get have been used and abused. One day, when I have all the skills, tools and knowledge to do really full restoration, I'll be happy. For now, I strive for a good, clean pen that will last a long time, and something that someone might take out of their pocket and say, "Look at this"

Restoration vs. Repair. There's a religious argument for another day.

Since I only aim to make a pen usable to me, I replace and tune as needed to my satisfaction. I rarely polish, but then I don't mind a pen that looks "lived in." But I do make sure all of the parts for use are in good shape, cleaned out and working fully as needed.

"Fully Restored" should never constitute just cleaning the outside of an object with most of the "parts" on the interior. I'll go wash my neighbor's 57 Chevy and tell him I've "restored" it for him. :rolleyes:

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Yeah, I think that I call restoration an act of putting a pen back to a nearly pristine unused state of being. On my Etsy page, I even have a section for "nibs with pens attached" that I list pens at a lower price that work fine but have more wrong with them than I was able to correct. I've posted one pen like that here - it's an olive J. Really olive. It's a pen that's all about color.

But, I digress....these are Esterbrooks. Clean them to your liking, use them until they need new sacs, don't fret about dropping them, and start all over again. I love these pens. I have a couple that are better than my Parker 51. They were built better than a lot of more valuable pens, and they're really durable. B)

Restoration vs. Repair. There's a religious argument for another day.

Since I only aim to make a pen usable to me, I replace and tune as needed to my satisfaction. I rarely polish, but then I don't mind a pen that looks "lived in." But I do make sure all of the parts for use are in good shape, cleaned out and working fully as needed.

"Fully Restored" should never constitute just cleaning the outside of an object with most of the "parts" on the interior. I'll go wash my neighbor's 57 Chevy and tell him I've "restored" it for him. :rolleyes:

There's a seller on eBay, and a really successful one, who appears to just put a new sac on a pen, polish with Caranauba wax, and sell it, complete with scratches, gouges and every other flaw.

You have opened the pen and examined it. What you do now, I believe, is to be determined by whether the pen is for your use or whether you plan to sell or pass the pen on to someone else. It it is for your use, then please yourself. You may get years of use out of the pen before you have to make repairs. Personally, I don't sell my pens, but I do try to "restore" them to the best of my ability inside and out - especially inside. If you are going to pass this pen on to someone else, then I believe you are obligated to make the repairs.

Someone allowed water to get inside the barrel of that pen, obviously. To me that means replace the sac and, at least, clean/sand the J bar. Several earlier posters have advised that you should make the needed repairs now. I agree with them. Hobiwan, RonZ, and gweimer1 are all noted for their quality work and the great condition of the fountain pens they supply to the rest of the world. I would strongly suggest you listen carefully to any advice they give. While we are all stating our opinions here, there is a great deal more experience based knowledge behind their opinions.

Good luck with your pen.

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

You have opened the pen and examined it. What you do now, I believe, is to be determined by whether the pen is for your use or whether you plan to sell or pass the pen on to someone else. It it is for your use, then please yourself. You may get years of use out of the pen before you have to make repairs. Personally, I don't sell my pens, but I do try to "restore" them to the best of my ability inside and out - especially inside. If you are going to pass this pen on to someone else, then I believe you are obligated to make the repairs.

Someone allowed water to get inside the barrel of that pen, obviously. To me that means replace the sac and, at least, clean/sand the J bar. Several earlier posters have advised that you should make the needed repairs now. I agree with them. RonZ and gweimer1 are both noted for their quality work and the great condition of the fountain pens they supply to the rest of the world. I would strongly suggest you listen carefully to any advice they give. While we are all stating our opinions here, there is a great deal more experience based knowledge behind their opinions.

Good luck with your pen.

-David (Estie).

Thanks. Actually, I've been trying to hunt down a replacement C-clip so that I can make all the innards like new when the time comes. I don't think anyone sells them aftermarket like they do J-bars. If anyone knows where I can find one, let me know.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Pens which are dear to you , should be well maintained.

Metal parts in Esterbrooks would by there very basic design, Plastic, Steel and Hard rubber are

subject to wear and chemical attraction.

Steel will most likely develop surface rush, which when incurred requires a decision

remove surface rust or replace the part..

In fact . It will take years of rusting to cause the part to stop working.

It may of course be unsightly... so if you can consider replacing it from an aesthetic point of view.

I once has a prospective buyer turn down a sale because my Camera Shutter was sharper than my eye, the bottom steel ring surrounding the decorative Black perfect jewel showed minute particles of rust., all other features were to his liking....

His keen sight saved him from making a buying mistake , he evidently wishes all of his pens

to be perfect.

Condition to a buyer is and should remain a personal decision thing.

I for one am not a " purist " I consider where the pen has been in its 70 years of service , and would it have a place in my pen world.

Just as some collectors will never buy a pen which is , personally engraved, I look at them as they were perhaps given to someone having strong personal ties, and emotions, lovingly picked out at the store and given with love to someone who took care of the pen, used it with care and now for what ever reason is now passing it along., rather than a nameless , random writing instrument needing a new place to reside.

Consider a pen saying: " To the Hollywood Star, MM I love you "

" Your the Top "

" To Elvis "

" I'll always love you "

Now I did have a chance to buy a Wahl , at a well known flea market bearing the name

" Rudy V but didn't

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today