"the Queen" Dutch Fountain Pen.

dutch-courage

Hello everyone !

According to a list, posted here :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281031-known-brands-other-brands-europe/

on FPN, "Queen" was a dutch fountain pen brand .

They were sold by a big dutch store called "De Bijenkorf" ("The Beehive") .

Recently I bought a ringtop version of this brand.

I also found an advertisement for these pens in a newspaper from decembre 1st 1926.

Pictures :

post-130121-0-87498900-1466891262_thumb.jpg

post-130121-0-46177300-1466891446_thumb.jpg

post-130121-0-56144800-1466891405_thumb.jpg

post-130121-0-66450900-1466891336_thumb.jpg

post-130121-0-93848300-1466891361_thumb.jpg

Best,

Peter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dutch-courage

• Dickkooty2

• shalitha33

• RMN

A wonderful find and with the ad! A real slice of the time.

De%20Bijenkorf%20Amsterdam%201.jpg and the wonderful store is still with us, unlike so many great department stores in the US.

A wonderful find and with the ad! A real slice of the time.

De%20Bijenkorf%20Amsterdam%201.jpg and the wonderful store is still with us, unlike so many great department stores in the US.

Hi Dickkooty !

Yes, the Bijenkorf is still with us, though one wonders how much longer she can compete with internetstores etc.

Now "The Queen" is labeled a dutch brand, but I do wonder where, in which country, this fountain pen was manufactured.

??

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-25%20at%204.55.21%20PM_zps6swpl5gm.png

Just by coincidence, there was a The Queen pen being made in Philadelphia for sale to the trade for their own store imprint.

Dutch Quakers came to Philadelphia, but the real colony was New Amsterdam. After the Third Dutch War, Holland traded New Amsterdam for Surinam and the Dutch Antilles. The British renamed it New York. But maybe ...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-25%20at%204.55.21%20PM_zps6swpl5gm.png

Just by coincidence, there was a The Queen pen being made in Philadelphia for sale to the trade for their own store imprint.

Dutch Quakers came to Philadelphia, but the real colony was New Amsterdam. After the Third Dutch War, Holland traded New Amsterdam for Surinam and the Dutch Antilles. The British renamed it New York. But maybe ...

My ringtop Queen is a welmade pen with nice subtle details so

I assumed it was german, but now it seems the Queen is Philadelphia made...wow !

My ringtop Queen is a welmade pen with nice subtle details so

I assumed it was german, but now it seems the Queen is Philadelphia made...wow !

I think it is German, as well. I was just amused at the coincidence. Note the dates for the Christmas ad and the wholesaler notice ...

It's the Parker filling system.

At that time, Parker wanted a foothold in Europe and worked together with Lamy. They produced their own brand but also many OEM.

Must see if I have my 100yr Akkerman-book around somewhere.. (may have been packed already for moving house in the near future.)

I know Paul Rutte described this joint venture Parker-Lamy in the book.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It's the Parker filling system.

At that time, Parker wanted a foothold in Europe and worked together with Lamy. They produced their own brand but also many OEM.

Must see if I have my 100yr Akkerman-book around somewhere.. (may have been packed already for moving house in the near future.)

I know Paul Rutte described this joint venture Parker-Lamy in the book.

D.icK

I have 2 lady sized P.W.Akkerman pens.

One has the looks of a prewar lady Parker duofold and the other has a clip that is identical

to one that can be found on Artus pens.

That sounds correct. I remember that Akkerman at the time worked together with Lamy. I think the first Akkerman pen was French made but later they worked with Lamy, and through Lamy with Parker.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 3 years later...

Sorry about replying to a very old thread. As far as i am aware of following is an example of the other "Queen" pen by James W. Queen & Co.

fpn_1569205660__img_2501.jpg

Queen marking across the cap is almost entirely faded away. Its barely visible. It is an overfeed eyedropper. Just adding this as a reference to the paper advertisement on the earlier post.

Sorry again about replying to a very old post.

+1 on that.

I don't mind necroposts at all, especially if new information is being provided. And a lot of times, I had skipped over the thread originally for one reason or another -- so resurrecting the thread means I get to learn new stuff that I had missed the first time around.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If any one is interested , I can disassemble it and put some photos, Those pens are from the days when they have figured out to make a good gold nib and how to build a proper eyedropper barrel. But they still haven't figured out how to get ink in to the nib properly :P

Colors on the nib seems to be toning. Where it had ink shows as bare gold color. i scratched a little bit while cleaning the nib with soap :( . Nib doesn't match the pen but must have been on it for a while based on the colors in the back.

fpn_1569274903__img_2503.jpg

fpn_1569274887__img_2502.jpg

To take it a part one first have to pull out the plate on the back of the feed from the back. then nib from the front and as far as i can see the feed from the back. I am worried about braking the feed so i'm not going to pull it out. plate looks to be broken from the middle and a part of it is stuck at the front. nib looks to be held between that and the feed.

I am hoping this is the matching feed for this. Although i could be wrong. given that the nib was replaced, they could have also fiddled up with the feed when changing the feed.