Best Twsbi?

TylerLi

I was using my 540 the other day, what a dreamboat of a pen. I love my 580s, too. The Eco is very nice, and the stub is butter smooth. But...that 580 and 540 really captured my heart. I love TWSBI. Love.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOUR X FOUR

• stephanos

• Fabienne

• TylerLi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone!!! I finally decided on the TWSBI Eco when factoring in price and use. I hope it lives up to my expectations. :D

Good choice!

Yep, I agree: the Eco is kin my eyes) the least "elegant" of TWSBI's range, but it's a really solid writer, less prone to cracking problems, and the least expensive. Oh, and easier to disassemble and reassemble than most. That makes it an ideal *first* TWSBI pen - though maybe not the last...

I would say ECO as of now. I love the octagon design of the cap. Adore the simplicity.

I also like the 580 RB version, because red and blue is such an interesting combination of color!

Good choice, I agree that the Eco is a good all around pen in terms of price and writing quality. The 580AL's have the 'shiny' factor that also caught my attention :D

-Cricket

The ECO is wonderful. I have the stub and it's a dream. I must say, that for disassembly, I prefer the 580 (my all time fave). But the ECO is so good I give it as gifts to people I like well enough to try to addict.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

While it doesn't look the best, I'd have to go with the Micarta

• 5 months later...

I'm really drooling over the TWSBI Vacs. My issue is that I WANT the 709, but it's out of stock, even at twsbi (except the B) until end feb/begin of March. I wouldn't mind the Vac Mini if it was just an issue of size. There is a 5.00USD difference in the prices. So, I ask the TWSBI-LORDS: Should I wait for the Vac700 or bite the bullet and just get the Vac Mini?

• 2 weeks later...

All else being equal, I'd suggest waiting.

I have used both the Vac700 and the Vac Mini. Although both write well, I very slightly prefer the writing experience of the 700. But that's not why I'd suggest going for it: it's all about ease-of-use.

To use the Vac700, you simply fill it up and start writing.

To use the Vac Mini, you fill it up, and then post the pen by screwing the cap on the back. The problem is that it is very easy to cross-thread it, and you have to be careful to not have the clip facing downward (resting on your hand whilst you write). Although these are not huge problems, they are annoying.

Of course, I have no idea what you want to use the pen for, what kind of pen you prefer to use, and so on. Your mileage may vary.

My only TWSBI is an Eco and I love it. It looks beautifull when filled with ink and is a great writer. I had a problem (It was clearly my fault. If you wanna look at the trouble I had, check the thread TWSBI Eco help) but was able to service the pen quite easily. There are two things that aren't too great- One the section is a bit thin for me. Two, my nib is wet. My medium writes more like a medium-broad.

I'm really drooling over the TWSBI Vacs. My issue is that I WANT the 709, but it's out of stock, even at twsbi (except the B) until end feb/begin of March. I wouldn't mind the Vac Mini if it was just an issue of size. There is a 5.00USD difference in the prices. So, I ask the TWSBI-LORDS: Should I wait for the Vac700 or bite the bullet and just get the Vac Mini?

What did you decide?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would mention that following on the comments above, I decided to get an ECO, and my first impressions are very positive (it just arrived today). I'm guessing the other pens in the line are worth the price increments, but this pen is really a remarkable value for the price. There is not any obvious aspect of the pen that would display a price-related compromise in quality, in fact I would say the opposite, that every part is both well-crafted and attractive, and even the box is nice. (The tiniest quirk--not defect--I found is that the "EF" label on the nib is barely visible above the collar of the section.) It's funny that when I decided to buy, the vendor was out of the clear, which I had chosen, so I just got the lime green. I filled it with Murasaki-shikibu, which creates a very nice colorful look, even if it might be considered a bit un-masculine. Ha, I'm old enough not to have to worry about that. The pen writes very nicely; I would mention for anyone it might help that I would place this EF right in the middle of the Asian and European definitions. I do not know the measurement of the nib; it's fine for me, but I really like a thin crisp line, and this is at my upper limit. If used on bad paper, it will need some dry ink. One little note to convey the quality that impresses me: I'm not a poster, but as someone noted above, this pen posts brilliantly. The design and the materials combine to provide a most satisfying linkage.To me, the pen feels very well balanced either way. Conclusion: add me to the fan club. I love vacuum fillers . . .

I had to look at this discussion to see what kind of following the 580AL (the name is much longer, but I have forgotten the rest) has because I gave one for a gift recently (Christmas) to an associate and was hoping I made a good choice. I chose the AL not because of any particular fondness for metal sections (quite the contrary) but, aware of TWSBI's history of cracking issues, because I had the (mistaken?) notion that it was structurally more sound. Also, the recipient of my gift isn't as likely to be as much of a fuss-budget regarding metal sections as I.

So far, my friend reports that he continues to use it. (A good sign; this is someone who's not given to gushing. When something performs perfectly, it's acceptable.) He told me how he was sitting at his desk at home and had to jot something down. He went upstairs to fetch the 580, despite the fact that he had a ballpoint within reach. (Maybe that qualifies as gushing.) He's someone who loves to understand how things work, so my choice took into account the transparency of the pen and its ability to be disassembled.

Edited by Manalto

James

If you gave a pen to someone and they use it at all, it was either a good selection (which seems likely in this case), or the friend has good enough manners to create that impression. I hate to think of the money that has been spent on nice gift fountain pens that have never been used.