• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOUR X FOUR

• stephanos

• Fabienne

• TylerLi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My vote is for the Eco as the best all rounder although the Diamond 540 is my favourite but probably loses out due to the reported but never experienced cracking issues. Vac is a bit big and harder to clean and the 580's have metal sections which look fantastic but are a little more slippery.

Edited by Martinsroom

All of my 580 have cracked barrels or broken feeds. My 700 and my Classic have never had any issues. Same goes for the Micarta but it isn't easily available. The 700 is actually very easy to clean. You can completely disassemble it

Depends on what you want them for: I love my 580s best of all (probably) for their looks and their smooth writing - but they don't fit in shorter shirt pockets, and it's a pain that they don't post. I *really* love the greater portability of my TWSBI Diamond Minis, but it's a pain that you *have* to post them for best balance and writing length. And I really love the Ecos for their no-nonsense look and feel, their greater durability (probably) and the ease with which I can "hot swap" nibs in and out.

Can't comment on Classic, Vac 700 or Micarta; I have a Vac Mini and I like the unusual filling mechanism, but it's got a couple of design issues, and is the least favoured of my collection...

I have few 540s eco and vac 700. I think vac 700 is the best as it has better nib, feed and filling system. The weight and balance makes it a complete package.

Beauty factor for me was definitively Mini Diamond classic, black-clear, and 580 AL Lava (on the wish list).

Nib experience - smooth, on any paper. I would assume the nib quality doesn't fluctuate between models, to remove one variable.

Size - individual factor, but there is a choice for large pen lovers (580, Vac) and smaller ones (minis).

Value for money - yes, definitively. Even looks more expensive than actually is!

And no issues with my Mini. I would recommend it if you don't mind posting a smaller pen.

Again, it is just my subjective opinion - the best one is the one You will be happy with, based on what matters to you.

Happy writing, and welcome to FPN!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

My first was a 580 (not the AL version) which has been continuously inked/used since I got it in November 2014 outside of about 2 weeks or so when I had the nib customized in the spring of 2015. It was because I wanted a different experience and not because I didn't like the nib. I had a B changed to a stub. (one of Art's Tomahawk grinds)

I have had my Eco since the Feb/March time frame this year. I don't like it less, it is just different. (factory 1.1 stub) I do like the aesthetics (mine is the white cap/piston knob) and the shape of the cap on the 580 better though. It seems to fit my shirt pockets just a "smidge" better - or maybe it is because I usually have both in that pocket so it seems that way.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Although I do not own them, so I cannot judge on how they write, I like the TWSBI Classic, because it has indeed that corporate look.

ECO. No problems with that one at all. Get a stub and fall in love.

But, to love eternally? The 580. Yes, there might be cracking issues but it's fabulous.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

It's a japaneese name. That's all I know.

Chinese, actually (TWSBI is based in Taiwan). Straight from their site:

TWSBI's name stands for the phrase "Hall of Three Cultures" or "San Wen Tong" in Chinese. The character "Wen" translates into language and culture. The phrase "San Wen Tong" also brings to mind the Hall of the Three Rare Treasures created by Emperor Qianlong as a memorial to three great masterpieces of Chinese calligraphy. The initials of the phrase "San Wen Tong" was reversed and thus turned into "TWS". The last letters "Bi" was added with its literal meaning of "writing instruments". Thus combining the two segments, creating TWSBI.

Edited by Dragonmaster Lou

OK. So I am leaning towards a TWSBI Vac Mini with a Fine nib. Are there any specific things that I should know before making the purchase?

OK. So I am leaning towards a TWSBI Vac Mini with a Fine nib. Are there any specific things that I should know before making the purchase?

Yes, pull the trigger on purchasing a Vac Mini quickly. You will not regret it. Its an excellent pen and a terrific value for the technology that comes with this writing instrument. I have one with a medium nib filled with Sailor Yama Dori which looks beautiful inside the pen and writes very smoothly. Its excellent for taking notes and long stretches of writing. B)

If I may suggest, order a spare B nib (or stub) for your mini VAC! You will enjoy changing the nibs from time to time.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Two things to be aware of - OK, maybe 3:

(1) The Vac Mini is a new pen to the TWSBI line-up, and in my opinion has a couple of 'rough edges' that need to be rounded off. Chief among these the fact that the cap is prone to cross-threading when you screw on to the back of the pen (it's a bit short unposted). I've managed to avoid cross-threading with mine, but it requires more thought and careful placement than for the Diamond Mini. I think they need to fix this - but suspect it will take a while for them to get around to it.

(2) Some owners have complained of flow issues with the Vac Mini. For myself, allthough I haven't had flow stoppages, this is my driest TWSBI pen.

(3) Though the nib assembly is designed to be removable (and swappable), there are no replacement nib units available to swap in. The Diamond Mini nib units will work, but sit a little 'proud' of the metal collar that tops off the end of the pen.

I really like my Vac Mini - and the filling mechanism is a lot of fun to play with - but I'm not convinced it's ideal as a first TWSBI pen. I'd recommend starting with a Diamond 580 or Diamond Mini - but in the end, it comes down to your personal taste. All the best with making up your mind!

This is actually really hard to answer.

It has to be a personal call - "objective" isn't possible. I'll come at it from the other side - what do I like least?

The Classic has never appealed to me - not mad about the looks or the size.

The two minis - Vac and Diamond - are lovely concepts, well thought out and work really well. But I just don't find myself reaching for them very often at all.

That leaves the Eco, 580 and Vac700 models from the current line-up, and the Micarta from the discontinued models (I've never held the 530 or 540).

For interest, the Micarta is lovely. It feels really good in the hand, and writes well. And it posts beautifully. But although it's well-made, it looks more like a proof-of-concept pen than a 'proper' Twsbi-of-the-line.

The Vac700 is easily the best option for travel. No question. It looks a bit weird, with its steep step-down, but in use it really doesn't bother me.

The 580 (and AL) is the most comfortable for my hand, closest to the most ideal size. But I like posting my pens. On the 700, I can forgive not posting (it's extremely long when posted), but if the 580 model were to be deeply postable, it would be pretty much ideal

The Eco is probably the best all-rounder - looks good, posts well, holds lots of ink, is fully and easily serviceable. And it comes in three finishes - black, white and clear (unlike the standard Diamond 580). I find the clear Eco to be substantially more pleasing than the solid-colour versions, even though they are the same dimensions.

So there you have it. For a first TWSBI, I would definitely recommend the Eco. Also, it's the least expensive, so you've made the smallest investment and would have money left over for ink, or to put towards your next Twsbi.

Eco on the left. 580 on the right. Eco is living in a drawer. 580 is always in rotation. 'Nuff said.

27129906766_3cc0b53179.jpg

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter