Whisky Brown - De Atramentis

visvamitra

De Atramentis is german manufacturer of calligraphy and writing ink. The inks are hand made (the entire production process is done manually in their manufacturing center) by i's founder - Dr. Franz-Josef Jensen. I believe he uses high quality dyes from well established European companies like BASF and Bayer.

fpn_1466849574__whiskey_bottle.jpg

Whisky Brown is one of De Atramentis scented inks. It really smells like whisky. Bad whisky, but still like one. The color is, well, brown wannabe. It looks like someone needed to save money and did third cafe au lait without adding freshly grounded beans. Personally I find this color rather ugly. While I enjoy most browns this one looks pathetic. The flow is average and lubrication is poor. Not recommended.

fpn_1466849583__whiskey_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1466849591__whiskey_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1466849617__whiskey_da_leuchtturm_3.

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1466849633__whiskey_da_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1466849641__whiskey_da_tomoe_2.jpg

Lamy Al-Star, Leuchtturm1917, B

fpn_1466849599__whiskey_da_leuchtturm_1.

fpn_1466849607__whiskey_da_leuchtturm_2.

fpn_1466849624__whiskey_da_leuchtturm_4.

Comparison

fpn_1465759990__browns_rhodia_1.jpg

Edit: I've changed the title of the post - the name of the ink is Whisky Brown and not whiskey. On the other hand though discussion about whisky and wshiskey is fascinating so please carry on :)

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• dirk_peeters

• visvamitra

• bryanhaas

Ugh... Ugly indeed. Must say that I've never understood the "raison d'être" of these scented inks. In this case the manufacturer clearly got its priorities wrong - it should be about the ink, not its smell. Thanks for pointing out that this is one to avoid.

Huh?? :huh:

Is there a Whiskey and a Scotch Whiskey?... I am pretty sure mine says "Scotch Whiskey" and is a more gold tone... not brown.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

it is definitely whisky. As far as I know , there is no such a thing as Scotch whiskey . :)

I must be as confused as this guy then... :rolleyes:

http://www.createwritedrink.com/2014/09/stained-fingers-on-thursday-review-of_11.html

or this online pictures...

http://static5.notemaker.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/de_artamentis_red_02_8.jpg

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

There it is... google is a great place... ;)

http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/images/de_atramentis_inkbottle_scotch_whiskey.jpg

**** BauerInks.ca ****

whisky , not whiskey

HA!!... Of course.. that makes a BIG difference... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My apologies... English is only my fourth language... :D

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Just to be clear.. I had no idea there was a difference between whiskeys... Scottish or English.. :lol:

C.

Scottish is always whisky , American and Irish is always whiskey. And I never saw an English whisky (or an English whiskey ) . They stick to tea I presume.

There's at least one Whisky maker in England. I think it's based in Norfolk and is made by the St George's Distillery.

Scottish is always whisky , American and Irish is always whiskey. And I never saw an English whisky (or an English whiskey ) . They stick to tea I presume.

Yes, Scottish is always referred to as "whiskey" or "whisky" (seen it both ways), American (on the other hand) has designations you are wise to know. We, in the States, make Bourbon which is as different from Scottish whiskey as night from day; and we also produce a limited amount of Rye now which has become popular, particularly after the Mad Man TV series. We make "moonshine" which is a clear and potent sort of whiskey, very good and can be a lot like aquavit and exceptionally drunk-making. There are other hair splitting sorts of brew, like Tennesee Whiskey and the like, but that is the broad stroke of it all.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

A little off topic, has anyone ever tried DeA erotic ink? Writing a love letter to my girlfriend using this ink doesn't hurt I think. Hmm, maybe I will use DeA black rose but the scent doesn't last that long.

• 3 years later...

I want an ink like this but one that smells of single malt scotch, Ardbeg Uigeadail to be specfic and the color much like the bottle a dusky green brown with just the hint of mystery and a touch of sheen. If you have never smelled the dried remains of that Ardeg in a glass you owe it to yourself, whether you not you like whisky or even alcohol its fragrant bouquet is simply divine.

Ah your spicy fruity body with just a hint of salted caramel smoked over a campfire on the bluffs of Islay. I must partake tonight a wee nip for tis been too long.

You had me until you said "Islay".... I HATE peaty scotch. Much prefer the Highland malts. I have bad memories of the time someone got me to taste Laphroaig years ago. Yuck. Even worse than some Irish whisky that someone gave me a cup of at the campus coffee house back when I was in college, and I gulped it because I thought it was going to be apple cider.... Worse tasting even than tequila.... :sick:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I used to skip the peaty whisky too until I went on a tour of distilleries in Islay. But I think I'd skip this ink in favour of a dram of Jura 7 wood, or Journey. Or Ardbeg. Okay, I started out thinking of ink, and now I need a drink.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

You had me until you said "Islay".... I HATE peaty scotch. Much prefer the Highland malts. I have bad memories of the time someone got me to taste Laphroaig years ago. Yuck. Even worse than some Irish whisky that someone gave me a cup of at the campus coffee house back when I was in college, and I gulped it because I thought it was going to be apple cider.... Worse tasting even than tequila.... :sick:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Highland has just a touch of peat right? I found Islay and I had no reason to look any further well mostly (I swear baby it was only a dram it meant nothing!). First taste was Lagavulin 16 yr. but then one year it was kinda bland ever since I always have a bottle of the Ardbeg Oogie on hand. Once I tried a Glennfiddich but was a little bland, granted it was a 12 yr but the Ardbeg 10 has more character. I have also had a Laphroaig while at a place called the White Chocolate Grill, it was okay a wee bit of character but not good enough to want a bottle. The local liquor store used to sell Bowmore Legend I think, a single malt for 30 dollars, nice n peaty but weird, it had a taste after a few minutes of bandaids, not really bad but weird. The peaty flavor would slowly transition to bandaids, just weird.

Whisky is the correct spelling for Scottish and Canadian stuff; whiskey for Irish and U.S. American.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)