Parker '51' Aero-Metric Navy Grey

usk15

Yesterday I come across with an Antique shop not far away from me, then decide to get in to have a look. The where a lot of mixed stuff and I decide to ask if there are any vintage pens. A nice lady come forward with Parker 51 box, also with some Cross ballpens. I had a look on the 51 and I asked to dip the pen in a bit of water to test it, it has having some dried ink. After like 2 minutes the pen start scribbling something and I was happy. The price? £20.00 with the original box and instruction leaflet. I come home and flush the old dried ink (brownish to dark blue...) left for 5 min to dry and fill with a blue ink mixed of Parker Quink and Diamine Sargasso Sea, then realign the nib and now the pen is writing like a dream. I love the color, the size, the weight, is perfect balanced, a dream pen.

Near to the ring has PARKER, Made in England .6

I cannot figure about the date based on the dot 6 imprint.

Some pictures now:

27874964655_ef5cd5fd9c_b.jpg

27597248940_8dd4462e8f_b.jpg

27263225533_5ce1ae0a73_b.jpg

27263206173_933240a903_b.jpg

27840846686_4a905aaa95_b.jpg

27874936925_b28ea5023a_b.jpg

27597308260_b22ca88d74_b.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• usk15

• pajaro

• hood

Top Posters In This Topic

That Lustraloy cap looks pristine - nice find!

Like the idea of the Quink blue and Sargasso Sea mix too. I like the colour of the Diamine but have had clogging and drying out problems with it in many pens, whereas Quink performance (the old stuff with Solv-X) has always been bulletproof but the blue colour is on the pale side. Does this mix give the best of both worlds?

Wow. Looks very well preserved, does it have scratches, ding or stuff like that?

The 6 indicates, I think, that it was made in 1946.

Congratulations, that's a very very nice find!

Also, I like how that ink mix sounds!

Regards,

Alex.

"He who obeys, does not hear himself"

post-127515-0-72380100-1492691142.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/aalexangelov/

Alex

Wow. Looks very well preserved, does it have scratches, ding or stuff like that?

Regards,

Alex.

No. It is 1956. There was no aerometric in 1946.

Khan M. Ilyas

Nice catch. Congratulations.

Thank you!

That Lustraloy cap looks pristine - nice find!

Like the idea of the Quink blue and Sargasso Sea mix too. I like the colour of the Diamine but have had clogging and drying out problems with it in many pens, whereas Quink performance (the old stuff with Solv-X) has always been bulletproof but the blue colour is on the pale side. Does this mix give the best of both worlds?

Indeed, the pen is in very good condition, most likely it was used couple of times then forget in a drawer in owner's house.

Regards,

Alex.

No ding or scratches, just as was back in the 50's! Lovely pen!

Now the ink! I love a rich blue, a royal blue. It has Quink blue 70% and Diamine Sargasso Sea 30%, but obviously the proportion are not precisely exact!

I have an old picture with a better view over my mixed blue ink, to my eyes this how it realy looks like when I'm using:

19352545795_d3b9377599_b.jpg

For an aerometric 51 it will be 1956. The 51s made in England continued with the single digit date codes.

No. It is 1956. There was no aerometric in 1946.

Thank you!

The navy gray is a rich gray. A nice color. Great pen is like new condition. A wonderful find.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The navy gray is a rich gray. A nice color. Great pen is like new condition. A wonderful find.

Yes, beautiful pen. Like brand new. So a great find.

A little off topic, why is it 'gray' in the US and 'grey' in England and in the Sub-Continent?

Khan M. Ilyas

Now the ink! I love a rich blue, a royal blue. It has Quink blue 70% and Diamine Sargasso Sea 30%, but obviously the proportion are not precisely exact!

I have an old picture with a better view over my mixed blue ink, to my eyes this how it realy looks like when I'm using:

So that is the ink described as your 'favourite ink' in your profile too.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you pajaro!

The pen looks like it wasn't use too much, and kinda of took advantage when the nib had dried ink. At home I made the pen to write again in about 15 min.

So that is the ink described as your 'favourite ink' in your profile too.

:) Correct!

I have just found today (in the wild, ofcourse) a USA made Navy grey pen with gold filled cap for around $30. I say around because I paid the price in local currency that is Pak Rupees. I would clean and restore the pen as I can hear the rattling sound of the broken breather tube inside the sac. Also, the nib looks to be needing some alignment work. The cap and pen body, however, looks to be in very very good shape. Almost pristine. I gather the pen was used very little but was left lying without flushing it. Full of ink.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have just found today (in the wild, ofcourse) a USA made Navy grey pen with gold filled cap for around $30. I say around because I paid the price in local currency that is Pak Rupees. I would clean and restore the pen as I can hear the rattling sound of the broken breather tube inside the sac. Also, the nib looks to be needing some alignment work. The cap and pen body, however, looks to be in very very good shape. Almost pristine. I gather the pen was used very little but was left lying without flushing it. Full of ink.

attachicon.gifIMG-20160623-WA0008-1.jpg

WOW! Impressive! A very good find indeed!

Yes, beautiful pen. Like brand new. So a great find.

A little off topic, why is it 'gray' in the US and 'grey' in England and in the Sub-Continent?

Two groups of countries divided by a common language. Color and colour. . .

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.