What Inks Can I Use To Replace Diamine

searcher18

Because of my problems with Shimmer ink (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304015-diamine-shimmer-inks-what-new-colours/?p=3609829 ), I have decided to stop buying Diamine which has been my go to ink for years. My favorite two inks are Jet Black and Woodland Green. Can anyone suggest a comparable replacement. I mostly use vintage pens. Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zwack

• searcher18

• Bluey

• gryphon1911

Seems kind of crazy to throw the baby out with the bath water. I love the Diamine inks I've used as a whole. Just cover the shimmer inks and contribute to use the others that you love.

I am with the others - no reason to abandon the brand, because you had a bad experience with the Shimmer inks.

I got samples of all 10. Have tried about half (4-6). Only one or two that I have liked at all. But you have to have a wet pen with good flow and good pen hygiene with them. I have 5 regular Diamine inks of various colors, and never an issue.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Shimmer is a gimmick. Pieces of eight, kryptonite, used motor oil, and whatever else these bright lights can think of. Just give us an ink that works, will dry in a reasonable time and won't clog up the pen or the toilet bowl

I agree... This is akin to saying. "I hate the fish sandwich at my local burger place, so I have decided to stop eating there. Can someone suggest a good place to go to get a cheeseburger?"

Diamine make a lot of good, non shimmery ink. The shimmertastic bottles are more expensive and a different shape, so it isn't like you will accidentally get the wrong kind.

If you really want to use a different manufacturer you might try J Herbin (but not the 1670 inks they also have glitter in them).

Shimmer is a gimmick. Pieces of eight, kryptonite, used motor oil, and whatever else these bright lights can think of. Just give us an ink that works, will dry in a reasonable time and won't clog up the pen or the toilet bowl

So, don't use Diamine Shimmertastic or J Herbin 1670.

So which pen do you want to use this ink in? Is it a wet or dry pen? How wet or dry an ink do you want to use in it? How fast do you want it to dry? Under what conditions? Why are you pouring ink down the toilet?

There are many low maintenance inks that work, will dry fast enough for me and don't clog the pen as long as I don't leave it unused or uncapped for too long. I really don't understand your complaint.

Edited by zwack

As far as Woodland Green goes, I think Montblanc Irish Green is pretty close. A mid, cool green.

I'm with the others here. I see absolutely no reason to stop using Diamine inks because a novelty line happened to cause you an issue. I use Diamine in all my vintage pens with zero issues.

It sounds to me like irritation overriding judgement. Others have said so in various ways. I am not bothering to mention any inks as well.

X

I understand inks not working out but was I wrong in expecting a warning from the company when using Shimmer inks? I have 3 bottle of Omas ink that I got when I bought pens. Can I use these inks or do you think that they will go up in value? For now I am using Parker Quink.

Given that shimmer inks clearly have particles in them, I think it is self evident that they have the potential to clog feeds. I do not see why it would need a warning. But that is just my opinion.

J Herbin do not have warnings on their 1670 inks either. If you are going to avoid Diamine for that reason you should avoid J Herbin. Richard Binder has some rants about Private Reserve and Noodler's and some warnings about Japanese inks, so you should probably avoid them. Waterman, Quink, Lamy, Akkerman, De Atrementis, KWZI (but avoid their iron gall inks), Levenger, Mont Blanc, Monteverde, Pelikan 4001 and Caran D'ache should all be good.

I understand inks not working out but was I wrong in expecting a warning from the company when using Shimmer inks? I have 3 bottle of Omas ink that I got when I bought pens. Can I use these inks or do you think that they will go up in value? For now I am using Parker Quink.

You really seem to be all over the place. I'd suggest a little more research and eduction on inks before diving in and buying any more. In this day and age any issues you would likely encounter have already been documented and are really available on the web. Edited by gryphon1911

Searcher, if you use mostly vintage pens, most restorers would advise you that the most conservative ink choices are Waterman, Sheaffer and Montblanc. Initially, the palette may seem limiting, but the Montblanc colors in particular are rich, and often offer great shading. Waterman serenity blue is wonderful, Sheaffer turquoise, and the Binder Burgundy mixture of half Sheaffer red and half Waterman purple is terrific.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I will make a transition to Waterman, Sheaffer, Montblanc and some Parker Quink. I have well over 300 pens but it seems I have not paid enough attention to inks. Thanks

I use all of my inks in all of my pens. I have Noodler's, Private Reserve, Aurora, J. Herbin, Pelican and Snake Ink. I have modern (TWSBI, Watermark) and vintage (Parker 21, 51, Ester Brook).

I will stay away from shimmering inks, but will use the rest of them. Even ran the famous Baystate Blue through many of them!

Peace and Understanding

I understand inks not working out but was I wrong in expecting a warning from the company when using Shimmer inks? Yes

I have 3 bottle of Omas ink that I got when I bought pens. Can I use these inks Yes or do you think that they will go up in value? No

For now I am using Parker Quink. That's an alternative ink.

Are you completely against Diamine? Chesterfield inks are highly correlated. There are color charts all over the place. Of course, they're Diamine in disguise.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I will make a transition to Waterman, Sheaffer, Montblanc and some Parker Quink. I have well over 300 pens but it seems I have not paid enough attention to inks. Thanks

Just be aware that some of these inks may not be water resistant. It depends on what your writing situation is, and how permanent it needs to be. A couple of days ago I was using one of the Vac Shadow Waves, which has Waterman Mysterious Blue in it, and having to deal with bookkeeping ledger stuff -- and as I'm writing I'm thinking "Oh, [expletive deleted] this may NOT have been the right pen to be using today...."

Honestly though, for the most part you can't necessarily lump all inks from *any* manufacturer into neat little boxes. I've had Sailor inks (which are supposed to be "safe") that stained sacs. I've used Noodler's inks in my Parker 51s without thinking twice AND my really expensive (for me) Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise -- but limit the use of Noodler's Baystate Blue to pens that aren't going to see a different ink because even I'm not that OCD about flushing and don't want bad ink interactions. I've tried Iroshihzuku inks that I couldn't live with -- out but you couldn't pay me enough to use Asa-Gao again. Most of the De Atramentis inks I've tried are fairly wet -- except for their Document inks. I've used J Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey in a semi-vintage Pelikan and iron gall inks in pens with stainless steel nibs -- I just remember that I need to be a little more careful about flushing maintenance with those types of inks.

in fact, at the moment one of the pens I have in rotation is the Pelikan M200 Café Crème and I just refilled it with an iron gall ink *without* flushing it simply because it ran out while I was away from home and I had no way to flush it out -- my options were to let the ink dry in the pen (not good) or refill without flushing (not great but way better than the alternative), and that pen has had the ink in it since before the Triangle Pen Show. I got a replacement nib for the one that came on the pen at the show, but did not want to dump the ink when I bought the new nib unit, because the ink was FPN member Pharmacist's lovely lovely Turkish Night, of which I only have one small bottle. So while on the road I brought the ink with me and refilled when the pen ran dry. (So sue me.... :P)

If you don't like the Diamine Shimmer inks, don't use them (I have a few colors that I like, and some that I didn't even want to try because I didn't like the color). But don't toss your longtime go-to Diamine inks because you don't like one particular ink line they make. That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

YMMV....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."