Refilling Cartrages? Who Makes The Best Cart?

Rewpert

Hey All,

In my ongoing quest to find a way to increase the capacity of my favourite pen, I'm going to have a go at refilling some cartridges.

Thing is, I don't have any cartridges to refill and need to buy some.

The upside of this is I get the change to ask the question - what are the best cartridges to refill? Does any on manufacturer make their carts out of sterner stuff than the rest? Do some last longer than others? And so on.

In particular, I'm talking about the big 2 2/3" long Standard International types.

Thanks,

Rewpert.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rewpert

• Bluey

• Flounder

• CS388

So long as you're not talking about any proprietary carts (Parker, Pilot, Sailor, Lamy etc) in an international cart pen, I've noticed that the short international carts that Diamine samples come in are better quality than the cellophane wrapped bags of loose short international carts that you see in supermarkets sometimes.

My only experience with long international carts is the Monteverde Magnum. They're a bit soft and bendy but seem to stand up to multiple refilling without metering issues even when the mouth looks quite flared out and worn.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Thats good to know.

How many refillings does a cart stand up to before it gives up the ghost? Will one stand up for a good while, or will I need to get a ongoing supply?

I prefer ones like Sailor and Pilot because the capacity is decent and the openings are really wide so I can imagine that would help improve the flow. On the other side of the coin it means that one false move when I'm filling them up and I have ruined trousers

I prefer ones like Sailor and Pilot because the capacity is decent and the openings are really wide so I can imagine that would help improve the flow. On the other side of the coin it means that one false move when I'm filling them up and I have ruined trousers

Am I wrong in thinking that Sailor and Pilot carts are proprietary?

Rew.

I've been filling a standard international for as long as I can remember. I think they're pretty indestructible. And it's a cheap, no-brand cartridge.

The main disadvantage in buying a bag of cheap cartridges (eg W H Smith) is that you'll have fifty on your hands. Far too many! I'd buy a pack of quality cartridges (not sure which pen you have) and get filling with your favourite ink.

Although, I did have a Montblanc cartridge spring a leak at the top, once.

Good luck.

Edited by CS388

Am I wrong in thinking that Sailor and Pilot carts are proprietary?

Rew.

You're not wrong.

I've no idea what they're like in comparison to international carts or whether they'll fit your pen though. Sorry.

Edited by Bluey

of my favourite pen

Quality and capacity are irrelevant, if the cartridge does not fit your pen. Which make and model is your "favourite pen" ? Used carefully, a cartridge can be refilled 8 to 10 times, or more, before the seal weakens from "stretching". Changing a cartridge takes 20 seconds. Carry a couple of spares in a metal, mint, candy tin.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I agree that the Diamine cartridges are the most durable by far. However, if you need to buy cartridges to refill, may I suggest that you buy a cartridge converter instead? They are relatively inexpensive.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I went over a year using only a Pilot VP. I refilled the same cartridge that whole time. No problems at all.

However, if you need to buy cartridges to refill, may I suggest that you buy a cartridge converter instead? They are relatively inexpensive.

Without knowing the OP's full circumstances, I'd say that this is a very good idea.

Without knowing the OP's full circumstances, I'd say that this is a very good idea.

My 'favourite pen' is a cheap Chinese Duke 116, which writes better than any of my 'fancy' pens. Its a very wet pen and really guzzles ink, so I'm always having to fill it back up. It currently has a screw converter - but by the looks of it a Standard International Long cart should roughly double its ink capacity. I'm dreadfully fond of the ink I use (Diamine Green), and price-wise it makes sense to stick to bottled ink - so refilling a large cart appeals as the obvious solution to my problem.

I guess what I really want to know is, out of the manufacturers who make long carts - Pelikan, Monteverde, Waterman &c. - does any one verity stand up better to the rigours of refilling compared to any other?

That is, unless anyone knows of any high capacity converters going? I've got a couple of Pilot squeeze type converter pens, and they go for weeks between refilling - does anyone know of anyone who makes a similar sort of device fitted to the International Standard?

Cheers for all the help,

Rew.

Edited by Rewpert

Yes. There is a squeeze converter for international long. But the one are I received were a tight fit in the area just above the nipple in the section. Maybe different ones for differently.

Peace and Understanding

You could also try making a DIY bulb filler. I haven't tried it yet, but I came across this on youtube:

Granted, this is for a Kaweco Sport, but the principle should work for making a larger one as well.

I have a Kaweco on the way, and am going to give this a try.

Goldspot Pens sells international longs that are pretty good. The black is a good, standard black ink that works out well. Pelikan also sells a long standard that is fairly good. And Monteverde has cartridges in long that have a Lamy (or other proprietary) nipple on one end and standard on the other.

I use cartridges when I have a special need. But feel the converter is a much better deal. Will soon pay for itself in savings on ink.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I guess what I really want to know is, out of the manufacturers who make long carts - Pelikan, Monteverde, Waterman &c. - does any one verity stand up better to the rigours of refilling compared to any other?

That is, unless anyone knows of any high capacity converters going? I've got a couple of Pilot squeeze type converter pens, and they go for weeks between refilling - does anyone know of anyone who makes a similar sort of device fitted to the International Standard?

Cheers for all the help,

Rew.

No idea to the first question, I've only used Monteverde longs. Never tested to failure, but Sasha's estimate sounds about right.

I prefer squeeze converters too (less flow issues), but have never seen a branded international squeeze converter, only low cost Chinese ones. They could well be good quality for all I know.

There's also the option (if your barrel can take it) of 2 short carts back to back. I personally dislike the clack-clack noise this generates when writing, so don't bother with this.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

My 'favourite pen' is a cheap Chinese Duke 116, which writes better than any of my 'fancy' pens. Its a very wet pen and really guzzles ink, so I'm always having to fill it back up. It currently has a screw converter - but by the looks of it a Standard International Long cart should roughly double its ink capacity. I'm dreadfully fond of the ink I use (Diamine Green), and price-wise it makes sense to stick to bottled ink - so refilling a large cart appeals as the obvious solution to my problem.

Rew.

Thanks, Rew !

Most "International Standard" format cartridges , that I have encountered, are short ones. Jinhao makes a long one. Can anyone confirm that these fit Rew's pen ? It has a "screw" converter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDuke+ink+cartridges.TRS0&_nkw=Duke+ink+cartridges&_sacat=0

$6.99 converts to approximately £5 (?) for 25 cartridges. Use a package of five, until empty. Refill with your favourite ink. I carry several extra cartridges in an Altoids candy tin. (I like the ginger flavor, but the peppermint flavor tin also works.)

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

In my experience the short and long international cartridges stay functional when being refilled for years. I have had some long international cartridges get fatigued and they have had to be retired, but that's after years of refilling.

All of the international cartridges I have come across have been made of the same material: polyethylene. And when they fail at the mouth of the cartridge it has been a gradual failure, with the indicator being that when you need to refill the cartridge and pull it out of the fountain pen you'll see some liquid ink on the outside of the cartridge, up by the nipple that the cartridge attaches to. I have had a long international cartridge develop a crack toward the closed end of the cartridge, however. Must have been badly made in the first place.

I've had Parker cartridges crack near the mouth because those cartridges are made to be more brittle than the international ones are.

I've been refilling cartridges for quite a few years. In order to get a bunch I bought some large number of short international cartridges on Flea-Bay and then used up the ink. And then I had a bunch, probably 50, of them for refilling. That was at least a dozen years ago and I'm still refilling them.

So I don't think anybody makes the best cartridge, I just use what I have and refill them. When I've gotten new fountain pens and cartridges have been included I use those too.

And, oh yes, :W2FPN: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

On the other side of the coin it means that one false move when I'm filling them up and I have ruined trousers

I wear a shop apron when simply filling a pen and a Hazmat suit with Bay State Blue!

I wear a shop apron when simply filling a pen and a Hazmat suit with Bay State Blue!

I'll probably just fill the pen at the other side of the table from where I am because I'm cheap like that, but if I ever decide to try BSB I won't forget the Hazmat.