Need A Replacement For Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo

spezialemic

Hey, guys! It's been a while since I've last posted, but I needed some advice!

For the last year and a half I've been using a medium Lamy 2000M with Iroshizuku ink, usually Tsuki-Yo, at school. The notebooks I use can handle the ink no problem, but whenever I have to use it on regular printer paper, the ink bleeds terribly. I know that the Noodler's bulletproof black ink I had a while back didn't bleed through paper nearly as badly, and dried much quicker. Even though the drying time isn't a deal-breaker for me, I wonder if anyone might know of a good replacement ink which might offer similar vibrance and shading, but work much better on cheaper papers.

Thanks for any advice!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorfindel

• spezialemic

• Noihvo

• AndyYNWA

Hi,

It seems that many have tried to find a body double for Pt-y, but no joy.

It is unfortunate that Pt-y is not at its best on common copy/printer paper.

Not to derail this Topic, but to propose an alternate approach of finding a fairly economical by-the-ream paper that dances till dawn with Pt-y. (HP 32lb is well regarded, and perhaps the sugar cane 'bagasse' paper has potential.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It's just that it's hard to use for tests. I need something that will hold up to regular old copy paper. It's hard to begin with, using a medium nib.

Unfortunately, the properties you're looking for are in opposite to each other. The quick drying is very often achieved by the ink being very absorbent. Iroshizuku and DeAtramentis are well known for that. Unfortunately, the same quality makes this ink feather and sometimes bleed through on cheap paper. I don't have my notebooks with we atm for reference, but from my memory the closest color-wise will be Atlantic Blue by DeA (which will probably bleed through as well as it's also a quick drying ink) and maybe Noodler's General of the Armies (after it dries out, since for the first 30 seconds it has a greenish shade). Atlantic Blue doesn't shade as well as Tsuky-Yo though. Will be able to give a more accurate answer later today.

OK, I'm looking at my writing samples and, as expected, DeAtramentis inks have the most of the close colors.

The closest is actually Indigo Blue with Ferdinant von Zeppelin coming at close second (it's a bit darker).

The next one is probably Bung Box 4B, but it's really much more saturated. If you dilute it a bit you may get a very similar color.

Then you have DeA Atlantic Blue (duller, greyer).

Also Pigeon Blue look similar but with greenish hue. I'd say it's somewhere between Tsuki Yo and Syo Ro.

General of the Armies is next, put it's paler.

HTH.

If you put aside your color preference and only consider inks that do well on more absorbant paper ( ie. that keep the feathering to a minimum) I have a couple of suggestions:

Sailor Kiwa-Guro pigmented nano black. The ink is a bit pricey, but works very well on cheaper papers. I'd venture to assert that (from my past experience) it does better than the noodlers x-feather ink.

Rohrer & Klingner Salix: this is an iron gall ink that goes on blue black and darkens over time due to oxidation.

I keep a dedicated pen for each of the two inks mentioned above and whenever I have to write something on ordinary copy paper, I reach for these pens.

Otherwise for my regular writing I almost exclusively use tomoe river paper now which is quite superb.

How about Pelikan 4001 Blue Black - color is somewhat similar, drier so it will work better on cheap paper. Hard to source in the US though as it is no longer imported by Pelikan into the US. Which means going overseas to get it. UK/Europe - not sure if its available in Canada....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

-snip-

Sailor Kiwa-Guro pigmented nano black. The ink is a bit pricey, but works very well on cheaper papers. I'd venture to assert that (from my past experience) it does better than the noodlers x-feather ink.

-snip-

Also Sailor Sei-boku behaves well on cheap paper. It's a teal, but maybe not super close to Tsuki-yo. I love this ink!

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

[…]

Rohrer & Klingner Salix: this is an iron gall ink that goes on blue black and darkens over time due to oxidation.

[…]

fpn_1466864846__img_2113.jpg

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

IG (eta: that is, iron-gall) inks are waterproof once dry and tend not to feather. The tannoferrogallic acid is transparent in solution and oxidizes to a dark grey, waterproof solid as the ink dries. A colorant, which is traditionally blue, is added so you can see what you are writing. As long as it's made for fountain pens and you don't let it dry out in the pen, it's usually benign.

R&K Salix is probably the most benign of blue-black IG inks, and has the least amount of acid. R&K Scabiosa uses a purplish colorant or dye (not sure which). R&K is usually fairly cheap. Another inexpensive IG BlBk is Chesterfield Archival Vault, available only from xFountainPens. Registrar's Inks from Diamine and Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies are IG inks, inexpensive workhorses for many.

You could also maybe go for Pilot Blue-Black, a total workhorse aniline dye-based ink with good behavior on nearly all fronts except being interesting. Look for Sandy1's review.

Edited by Arkanabar

I have gotten pretty close by mixing Noodler's Lexington Gray with Noodler's Blue Eel.

The Lex has good staying capacity and the blue has nice lubrication.

Vary the mix to suit your sense of color.

Good Luck

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

My fix would be a Platinum Preppy 02 extra-fine pen. It's an inexpensive pen that you can fill with your favorite ink and the fine line won't result in feathering. I use the 03 fine as well andI don't usually have any issues. Tsuki-yo is a beautiful color.

Edited by Rach31

Tsuki-yo is truly a one-off.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Noodler's Blue Steel has been suggested as a more economical alternative to Tsuki-Yo. It's an exclusive to Dromgoole. I have a bottle but haven't used it, can't comment on its performance on cheap paper.