How Long Did Your Sheaffer Live?

Amirography

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/06-June/slides/2016-06-24-02.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Amirography

• jar

• Freddy

In one of my earlier posts, I had help trying to find the right base for a family pen which has (so far) lived about 65 years. It was owned by W.D. Nobles, passed to his son, W.D. Nobles, Jr. and then to my husband, W.D. Nobles, III. It is a touchdown-filler desk model, and after I replaced the sac and seals, it writes great, and should be fine to pass down to W.D. Nobles, IV when the time comes.

So it has lived 65 years, so far, but I'm hoping for many more years!

My daughter and grand children live in Sweden and I often visit them. I do agree that the Nordic people and their culture are interesting as well unique.

That's a great news! So I'm not alone in this!

Amir, my pleasure and continued success with your academic endeavors.

Fred

Thank you very much Fred. :)

The Sheaffers will last a long time. Some will last because they were built to last and to be serviced easily, some because the converter will fail and not be economical to replace and some because after a while you will get tired of having to moisten them for writing every morning.

So, 2/3 of the times the long lasting thing may because of reasons that are not that wonderful :D

Although very difficult (almost impossible) to get it in Iran, but if you can buy one from USA, a newly restored snorkel will give you very long service, I only know of two snorkels being sold currently in Tehran, one is not functioning, the shop owner said someone brought it for repair and never came back for it, and at another store there is a masterpiece, but I am sure the guy will rip you 3/4 of your body parts in exchange for the pen.

Best regards.

3/4? Sounds about right :D I will ask around. Maybe if a friend of mine were to visit USA I ask them to buy one for me. :) Thanks!

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/06-June/slides/2016-06-24-02.jpg

Wow! Amber you are so kind to do this for me! I very much enjoyed your handwriting as well as different inks you have used (though what happened with the blue on the left?)

Thanks for sharing with me! I'm a lot more confident now. :) You helped a lot :)

In one of my earlier posts, I had help trying to find the right base for a family pen which has (so far) lived about 65 years. It was owned by W.D. Nobles, passed to his son, W.D. Nobles, Jr. and then to my husband, W.D. Nobles, III. It is a touchdown-filler desk model, and after I replaced the sac and seals, it writes great, and should be fine to pass down to W.D. Nobles, IV when the time comes.

Wow! What a history! As you said it can easily be called a family heirloom!

A pen outliving 4 generations. Amazing ! Isn't it?

Khan M. Ilyas

It really is, and as much as I love technology, I'm pretty sure my iPad won't still be working in 65 years.

Amir, I am writing with 366+ inks this year, so sometimes, the ink runs out of the pen. Which means it is time for refill.

If you like, you can PM me your address and I will mail the letter to you with some sheets of TR paper.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Amir, I am writing with 366+ inks this year, so sometimes, the ink runs out of the pen. Which means it is time for refill.

If you like, you can PM me your address and I will mail the letter to you with some sheets of TR paper.

Thanks for your kindness. :) But for now, it is almost impossible to post something to Iran, specially from USA. Maybe a few years later? :)

Thanks for your kindness. :) But for now, it is almost impossible to post something to Iran, specially from USA. Maybe a few years later? :)

I can send it to you if you like, I have few CRVs from Amberlea, if you like I forward them to you, and when you are done you send back to me and then I send to Amberlea, if interested PM me ;)

Edited by northstar

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I can send it to you if you like, I have few CRVs from Amberlea, if you like I forward them to you, and when you are done you send back to me and then I send to Amberlea, if interested PM me ;)

That would be a good arrangement, cousin. How are you?

Khan M. Ilyas

I am very well thank you, how are you doing? How is Ramadan over there? Hope all well :)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I am very well thank you, how are you doing? How is Ramadan over there? Hope all well :)

It is hot here. Otherwise evertrying is ok. Preparing for iftar now.

Khan M. Ilyas

Interesting question. Define "your" Sheaffer. That breaks down two ways: the physically oldest still in someone's use or the longest someone has used their Sheaffer. I've used the same one since the mid-late 60s, have used or been using Sheaffers since before that, and have used or am using much older Sheaffers. Enough grandpa talk. Write on.

• 2 weeks later...

My Daily writer is a 1942 EF Triumph nib Lever fill that I adore. My other Pen is a first-year Snorkel that is currently being refreshed. I also have a Vac filler that is being worked on currently. All have the EF Triumph nib. I have been disappointed in all of my modern production FP's.

Endoguy

• 4 weeks later...

We seem to have gone afield. It's not how old is your vintage Sheaffer, it's how long did your's last. My first was the then "school pen" (forget the version) that I bought as school supplies in 1962-3. I've used it personally since then and still have it. What's that?..... over 50 years? I can see the ad: "Original owner, only used on sundays, low mileage. Good rubber all around and a steal at $0.99. Tell ya' what..... I'll throw in two free ink cartridges." No kidding. Some had a five (5) pack of cartridges for a buck and one could buy them in drug stores, five and dimes, etc. Mine was still being used as a note pen by the telephone until cellular and was finally retired some years ago. For those of you who are too young to remember Rexall's and dime stores, enjoy your youth!!

My uncle bought me a sheaffer 444 XG (14k gold nib) in 1976 when I was in University and it is still with me writing like a champ. I have other sheaffers that came to me in the 70s but the said 444 XG is the earliest that I got.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

We seem to have gone afield. It's not how old is your vintage Sheaffer, it's how long did your's last. My first was the then "school pen" (forget the version) that I bought as school supplies in 1962-3. I've used it personally since then and still have it. What's that?..... over 50 years? I can see the ad: "Original owner, only used on sundays, low mileage. Good rubber all around and a steal at $0.99. Tell ya' what..... I'll throw in two free ink cartridges." No kidding. Some had a five (5) pack of cartridges for a buck and one could buy them in drug stores, five and dimes, etc. Mine was still being used as a note pen by the telephone until cellular and was finally retired some years ago. For those of you who are too young to remember Rexall's and dime stores, enjoy your youth!!

My early pens were all handmedowns. That was how things were when I was growing up; the kids got things their parents and grandparents had used before they got anything new. That was true of cars and baseball gloves and catchers mitts, old shirts and ball caps and yes, fountain pens.

I still have several such handmedowns when it comes to fountain pens although one notable pen did get stolen. All of the handmedown pens work and although they have all had some maintenance none have yet needed a second trip to the spa or Betty Ford.

My dad was a Parker fan so the pens from mom and dad are Parkers but Gpop was a Sheaffer fan and had even more pens sitting in drawers and cigar boxes to support the trickle down economy. One I still use regularly and love is a Marine Green fullsize white dot Balance vac-fil pen likely made in 1937 or so. That would make it almost 80 years young.

http://www.fototime.com/58A8DB926C0C2A0/large.jpg

But that is not how long it will last but only the story so far.

Haven't had much luck with Sheaffers of "my era" (ie arrived new to me in the 1970/80s)... majority have shrunken their plastics until they leak or can't hold their nib anymore; had one in particular whose clip rusted off the cap - who've have thunk possible??!

Whereas Parkers, Cross, PaperMates of same vintage have survived fine till today.

Otoh... Sheaffers from earlier eras seem much better at surviving. I have no doubt that the Snorkels I fiddle with today will easily see their Centenary even if I don't.