Fountain Pen For College Note-Taking?

as9934

Hey guys! I just graduated from high school and have been looking into some different pens to buy for college in the fall. I would like to step it up a bit from what I used in high school which was pretty much anything that dispensed ink, so I have been looking at some different pens, namely the Uni-Ball Signos and the Pilot Metropolitan. I definitely like the idea of using a fountain pen but for taking notes down fast is it the best option? I have always had absolutely terrible, borderline illegible handwriting so I am looking for some pens to help me print and write more neatly. What do you guys think of my choices, especially considering I am a poor college student? For the pen should I be using a fine, medium or bold tip? Will a fountain pen make my handwriting better? Any other pens you guys would recommend for my stated goals?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardy

• ac12

• KBeezie

• NinthSphere

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently i have a Metro and Pelikan M100

I still prefer using my metropolitan for taking notes. the snap cap is more useful for taking quick notes. and also i prefer the firm nib on metropolitan for taking notes. But for sketching i prefer using the pelikan because the nib is more fun to draw with.

For handwriting, i think it depends on your effort to change it. because i use fountain pen and my writing is still horrible.

For nib sizes, it depend on your writing. but i hear one way you could chose your nib size is by writing letter "e." if the hole in the middle is closed up than you should use a finer nib.

1. What kind of budget are we looking at?

2. Depends on what you like, but ink is going to stretch further with a finer point.

3. No pen is going to magically "fix" your handwriting. That's on you, but a nice pen might push you to want to improve your writing.

1. I concur no fountain pen will fix handwriting.
  2. Get cheap lightweight pen like Platinum Plasir, Pilot Penmanship or even Pilot Varsity (V-Pen) preferably in fine as soon as possible. "Cheap" is important characteristic. There is no sense in getting more expensive pen until you lighten your grip and learn to write with minimal pressure, as too much pressure will damage nibs.
  3. Look for handwriting repair manual. It can be cursive based (I won't give you any hints as I do not lean that way) or cursive italic based (i.e. Getty/Dubay's "Write Now!" or Rosemary Sassoon's "Improve Your Handwriting: Teach Yourself").
  4. Practice! Twice or thrice a day, for about half an hour each time.

Order more expensive pen only after your handwriting improve. Some hints:

• Pilot Decimo / Vanishing Point - pretty expensive, but very convenient. Unfortunately clip location make it unusable unless you use standard tripod grip.
  • Pilot Prera - A bit more expensive than more common Metropolitan, but lighter and in my opinion much better balanced when posted. (you want your pen to be postable to avoid loosing cap in lecture hall).
  • Two identical pens give some redundancy in case of running out of ink (you would not want to frantically change ink cartridges in the middle of lecture or exam).
  • Converter or piston filled pens can be topped off each evening, reducing possibility of running out of ink during the day.
Edited by ksm

I have had good experience with the Pelikan M20x series for college use. Reliable pen, large ink capacity, piston filler. Have used pens of this series for ages, never had issues. A reliable pen that just works.

I have had good experience with the Pelikan M20x series for college use. Reliable pen, large ink capacity, piston filler. Have used pens of this series for ages, never had issues. A reliable pen that just works.

This would be my suggestion also. I used fine & medium 51s for notes in class, but I just swapped in my M200 because despite the amount of writing I've done with it, the damn thing just won't empty.

As9934, just a heads up, there's a deal on an M205 in the Classifieds now if you can swing the asking price.

For Math/Algebra/Calculus/etc : Not unless you're real confident. :D

Though I did use fountain pens exclusively for the last couple years in any of my Art History classes for notes.

eg :

http://i.imgur.com/tOHeOsqh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Hq0x9nzh.jpg

And usually for an upcoming test I re-write my notes of the ones selected on the short list into the smaller notebook (Since re-writing helps me remember it, and the small notebook only contains ones that will be on the test).

http://i.imgur.com/cwKlIq0h.jpg

Though my 'taste' on which pens to use tends to be a bit more exotic and far from practical in a college environment (For example half the time I was using a Danitrio Mae West with a factory stub for the EOC headings)

But far as my 'practical' selections I've used that I've found rather reliable and comfortable for longer sessions:

- Pelikan 140 (a 1950s model I have, mine has a broad cursive italic 14k), can get them restored for less than the price of a brand new Pelikan M200 (unless you buy from Japan, then an M200 is about 100USD).

- Pelikan 400NN, my 1956 model has a 14k semi-flex EF on it, longer, posts very well, and massive ink capacity that's more than the M1000 (holds about 1.9~2.0ml where as the M1000 holds 1.47ml), almost twice what the M200/M400 holds.

- Parker 45, can be found for under $50 (or even under $10 at times), solid workhorse, starts right up, very durable and not too flashy looking.

- Parker 51 (Vacumatic for capacity, Aero if you're going cheaper), if you don't mind hooded nibs, these are also workhorses, and likewise are not flashy enough for the layperson to want to steal.

- The Usual Pilots (Metropolitan, 78G, Prera, Penmanship), syringe filling a pilot cart will give the most capacity, plus if you go with a fine nib, you can get many more pages out of it.

Just a few least from personal experience anyways that would be more 'practical'.

The main reason I got into fountain pens 2+ years ago was not because I wanted to improve my handwriting, but rather because ballpoints and some rollerballs cramped my hand up like nothing else, and I Wasn't using the death grip either. Couldn't even get thru writing an essay for 5-10 minutes without wanting to cry. With the fountain pens, especially as I got nicer and nicer ones with better nibs (or least 'properly tuned' nibs) I developed a much lighter hand which reduced the hand fatique in the long run. Course with my photography hobby and obsessive tendency to give into consumerism, it just kind of took off from there.

A Jinhao, the Pelikan Level (on ebay perhaps) or a TWSBI comes to mind.

The Jinhao is cheap and robust, the Pelikan can hold quite an amount of ink, but is a model from the late 90s. I used one almost permanently at university.

The TWSBIs are affordable, write nicely and hold quite some ink.

My two swiss Räppli

Just my thoughts on this. I also had issues with illegible handwriting of my class notes. Made them virtually indecipherable and useless. Rather than scribbling in cursive, I printed.

Actually became quite adept and could quickly take printed notes.

My preference would be a Japanese fine point, and my go to pen now is a vintage faceted vanishing point, which has been a workhorse for many years. Not much help to you, since they are not commercially available now, but if there is no problem with the clip on the modern VP's, either that or a decimo, which is thinner and lighter.

I actually use a converter, (by default the Con-20)as the Con-50 is not compatible with the faceted VP. I have cartridges on stand by, should I run out of ink.

The fine point is also useful for margin notes when needed (I guess you could use an extra fine), but that might not be the nib of choice for copious notes.

Of course the one hand click mechanism is sooo nice. Kind of a audible/mechanical cue to start writing or stop and think.

I have gifted some VP's to relatives for high school graduation.

Good Luck

I now have a Pilot Metropolitan on stand by also. (In college, misplacing a pen might be an issue, so the $15. Metropolitan would not cause much anxiety.

My lecture note-taking pen of choice is a Lamy Safari with an M nib and black Lamy ink.

A good, sturdy, reliable, relatively plain pen that actually looks pretty decent in darker colors. The section is something of a deal-breaker for some people, though, because it's triangular. It forces a correct grip, which annoys some people. I learned how to write with a Lamy ABC, so I was used to it from the start and really don't mind.

(I also have an AL-Star, which is about the same thing as a Safari, but made from metal, and I've had that for almost a decade now and still use it, so those pens are absolutely worth it)

You can also swap nibs on the Safari pens, so you could potentially start with an M nib and then later pick a finer or broader nib based on your experiences.

Jinhao x450 or x750 is also an option, but those pens are really heavy, so that's something to be aware of.

Regarding nibs, it mostly depends on the size of your handwriting: if you have a very small handwriting, F or EF may be a good option, if you have a normal or big handwriting, try M or B.
If in doubt, probably M.

Edited by Guardy

• Pilot Decimo / Vanishing Point - pretty expensive, but very convenient. Unfortunately clip location make it unusable unless you use standard tripod grip.

Not really. I've never used a tripod grip (and I certainly don't consider it "standard") but I have used a VP for note-taking for years, and I would recommend it, except for the price. Don't start out with an expensive pen until, as others have said, your handwriting and your new college life both stabilize to your satisfaction.

I do suggest a Japanese F point, because your ink will go farther, you will be able to get more notes into a convenient-sized notebook, you can probably write slightly faster, and the fine line will reveal every detail of the handwriting you want to improve.

ron

I'll also go with the suggestion of the Pilot Metro, ideally with a fine point. Choose whether or not you want to use cartridges or ink bottles with it, but you also have the option of keeping a few cartridges handy in case you run out of ink in the middle of class.

The piston fillers, like the TWSBI Eco hold a lot more ink and may also be a good choice, but I'd be a bit paranoid about not being able to fill it during class if it empties -- even if I'm careful enough to refill it frequently.

Good points on the Jinhao, it's heavy, but not expensive. And it's very sturdy.

The Lamy is a nice choice.

I think the TWSBI would go through a very long writing session without refilling. you could probaby bring the TWSBI ink bottle with you or a travellers ink bottle.

I had bottled ink with me in school and it never was an issue.

For me the grip section of the Metro is too narrow and the gap to sharp to hold it comfortably.

Get a cartridge filler. Nothing worse than running out of ink at the wrong time.

I bought myself a Sheaffer Imperial 330 back when I was in college and kept a box of Sheaffer cartridges in my pocket. That was about 40 years ago and I still have that pen....and it still writes well. I always get a laugh that it was the pen that got me through Penn.

The other posters are right about mechanical pencils. It pays to have good ones. I also like keeping a rollerball around for note taking at meetings.

My kids just got through college and they actually did very little note taking from what I can see. Everything is in Powerpoint these days. You might be better off boning up on your typing.

Get a cartridge filler. Nothing worse than running out of ink at the wrong time.

I bought myself a Sheaffer Imperial 330 back when I was in college and kept a box of Sheaffer cartridges in my pocket. That was about 40 years ago and I still have that pen....and it still writes well. I always get a laugh that it was the pen that got me through Penn.

The other posters are right about mechanical pencils. It pays to have good ones. I also like keeping a rollerball around for note taking at meetings.

My kids just got through college and they actually did very little note taking from what I can see. Everything is in Powerpoint these days. You might be better off boning up on your typing.

You can absolutely run out of ink at an inopportune time with cartridge fillers, if you're not careful. Backup pens (just any ol' ballpoint will do) are a great idea.

+1 for mechanical pencils

Might be different over here, of course, but about 90% of students here still use pen and paper for note-taking. You can type, of course, but you absolutely don't have to. We do get the ppt slides afterwards, but that doesn't mean taking notes is unnecessary or useless.

But then again, I'm a student of the humanities, so maybe we're just all complete weirdos. I wouldn't exactly rule that out.

I think the twsbi eco makes for the best starter pen if you plan on using bottled ink from the get go. The clear body makes seeing how much ink you have left easy, and it easily carries enough to get you through the day. As for nibs, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer using broad and stun nibs for my class notes in college, simply because I find the wide, smooth lines more fun. For a first pen though, I'd go with a medium nib. Hope that helps!

"Oh deer."

What cheapest pen to choose depend on where you live.

A cheap and reliable as well as easily replaceable is the Lamy Safari/Vista.

Make sure you have 3 fountain pens filled with the same ink, for regular note taking, a backup oversized gel pen or a Lamy Safari/Vista rollerball.

A quality mechanical pencil is a must, my to go fine lead pencil is... surprise, the Safari/Vista mechanical pencil.

I use a 2 mm lead Staedtler lead holder, the same width as regular wood pencils with a pencil grip.

I used to have hand cramps as well, when I was in school, even very early, like primary school and could not stand thin pens.

I used a 4 color Bic for homework, the Catholic school mandated the use of a traditional Bic ballpoint, a true nightmare.

We were allowed to switch to fountain pen in 4th grade and it was a lifesaver. By the next grade I had 2 fountain pens and by college, I always used 3 with identical ink and medium nib.

Now, I have to alternate grips so I rotate between Safari/Vista and the round Studio.

Keep the fountain pens you have and add a couple of the most available in your area, or check the classified or your local retailer. It is a good idea to buy a backup converter.

If the pens use proprietary cartridges, buy a box.

During heavy assignments weeks and particularly before and during finals, you will only have time to study, eat and fall into exhaustion.

This is the time, when using a cartridge might be preferable to spill a bottle of ink onto the computer or the newly printed assignment, or an expensive textbook.

Speaking of which, get on your university website, now, to find out about the layout of the place and most important what prof you will get, how they schedule their assignments, what books (besides textbooks) are required reading.

The minute you find out about the textbooks and the reading list, buy the books used. Right now, students are trying to get rid of last semester books, there is a glut, take advantage of it, before many other students realize they need the books for fall.

Sorry for the big post.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Pilot Varsity, got me through the University of Maryland. A tap of nib smoothing and you are set. Very cheap and keep two with you at all times.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

1 - What is your budget, for TWO pens? Any pen recommendation will be useless if it is above your budget.

2 - You need at least TWO pens. A primary and a backup/spare. When you run out of ink in the middle of class, you do NOT have time to swap cartridge and let the ink flow down into the feed. Just grab your backup pen and continue on. Then deal with the dry pen between classes when you have more time. Instead of a 2nd fountain pen, you can use a roller ball, gel pen or even a pencil. The main thing is to ALWAYS have a backup for your pen. Because when you don't, your pen will fail on your. I used a pair of Parker 45 for under grad and grad school.

3 - As stated by others. A Fountain Pen will NOT make you handwriting any better. That is purely up to YOU. What is does do is to make it easier to write clearly, because you don't have to press hard on the pen, as you have to do with a ball pen.

4 - Use a FINE or EXTRA FINE nib. The finer nib will stretch your ink supply longer, and you can pack more notes onto a page.

5 - You MUST use a fountain pen friendly paper. Some papers just do not work with fountain pens. The finer the nib, the more sensitive it is to the texture of the surface of the paper. I use Stapes, made in BRAZIL filler paper. Cheap and works with my fountain pens.

6 - You can take note FAST with a fountain pen. This is because you don't have to press down HARD on the paper, as you have to with a ball pen. But then you can also take notes fast with a roller ball or gel pen for the same reason.

gud luk

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

1 - What is your budget, for TWO pens? Any pen recommendation will be useless if it is above your budget.

2 - You need at least TWO pens. A primary and a backup/spare. When you run out of ink in the middle of class, you do NOT have time to swap cartridge and let the ink flow down into the feed. Just grab your backup pen and continue on. Then deal with the dry pen between classes when you have more time. Instead of a 2nd fountain pen, you can use a roller ball, gel pen or even a pencil. The main thing is to ALWAYS have a backup for your pen. Because when you don't, your pen will fail on your. I used a pair of Parker 45 for under grad and grad school.

3 - As stated by others. A Fountain Pen will NOT make you handwriting any better. That is purely up to YOU. What is does do is to make it easier to write clearly, because you don't have to press hard on the pen, as you have to do with a ball pen.

4 - Use a FINE or EXTRA FINE nib. The finer nib will stretch your ink supply longer, and you can pack more notes onto a page.

5 - You MUST use a fountain pen friendly paper. Some papers just do not work with fountain pens. The finer the nib, the more sensitive it is to the texture of the surface of the paper. I use Stapes, made in BRAZIL filler paper. Cheap and works with my fountain pens.

6 - You can take note FAST with a fountain pen. This is because you don't have to press down HARD on the paper, as you have to with a ball pen. But then you can also take notes fast with a roller ball or gel pen for the same reason.

gud luk

I'd like to respectfully disagree regarding the nib choice - use a nib that's comfortable to write with. I personally really don't like most fine nibs and would much rather use more paper. Cramming the most possible letters in the least possible amount of space won't do you any good if a) it makes you want to hurl your pen through the room and cry or b.) you can't decipher any of it anymore. Also, it might actually be quite a bit slower. Absolutely talking from experience, here.

Also, pens hold a surprising amount of ink and I've never managed to go through an entire fill in one day of note-taking.

Fast note-taking with a rollerball requires a good rollerball. I had a few of badly-lubricating ones that were super hard to write fast with and tended to squeak.

Two pens = two writing implements. Really, if you can only afford one pen, bring a ballpoint. It probably won't kill you. Although it might kill your hand, but I digress. But do bring a backup writing implement of choice. Seriously.

On the subject of paper: Fine nibs actually tend to work better with bad paper, because less ink means less problems. Also, some ink is nicer to paper than others. If you can easily get them, I wholeheartedly recommend Pelikan 4001 inks... although they tend to be infinitely boring and might not work well in very dry-writing pens. Blue-Black works on a surprising variety of papers, though.

Apart from that I can't say much, since, apart from some notebooks (cough paperblanks cough) I have never really come across ink-unfriendly paper... but that may have something to do with the ubiquitousness of fountain pens in Germany.

... but seriously? Just get a cheap pen and experiment. This forum makes fountain pens into a bit of a science, which can be tons of fun, but not necessarily the way it needs to be. We used to write with all kinds of cheapskate pens on all kinds of papers with the most dubious of inks when I was in school, and if it didn't work, we either made it work or we moved on. It's really not as big of a deal as it seems.

Edited by Guardy