End Of Chesterfield Ink Xfountainpens

Chuck400b

XFountainpens will be discontinuing Chesterfield ink.

"Yes, Chesterfield inks will be phased out to make way for a wider range of inks. We have several different brands that will be added to our store in the near future and hope to eventually develop our own in-house line of inks as well. We'll be sad to see Chesterfield go, but we plan to replace it with a greater selection of even better fountain pen inks.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MKeith

• Jobesmirage

• Sasha Royale

• KKay

That's a shame. Great inks at a reasonable price. Is there any other distributor in the U.S.?

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

It was a joy to learn that Chesterfield inks were re-packaged, bulk Diamine inks. I took the opportunity to try all I could. Those that I especially liked, I won't mind buying from Diamine. Thanks for the education. Since xfountainpens is still there, I will be checking back, from time to time.

I wish them innovation and inspiration to continue prospering for many more years.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sorry to hear that. I recently was able to try the Erinite, and I liked it! I've never tried this brand before. (I have tried Diamine of course)

Yesterday I purchased a total of 600 ml. of various Chesterfield inks from them. I was told that they are planning on coming out with their own line of ink and they are working on carrying Diamine inks. Good news as their service is excellent and their free shipping of $15 or over as well as two day priority can't be beat.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Given the prices they are selling the remaining stock for, I pulled the trigger on several bottles recently. I am looking forward to their arrival tomorrow.

Given the prices they are selling the remaining stock for, I pulled the trigger on several bottles recently. I am looking forward to their arrival tomorrow.

Yesterday I purchased a total of 600 ml. of various Chesterfield inks from them. I was told that they are planning on coming out with their own line of ink and they are working on carrying Diamine inks. Good news as their service is excellent and their free shipping of $15 or over as well as two day priority can't be beat.

Anything you two would recommend?

Anything you two would recommend?

I received my shipment yesterday and managed to run simple tests on them all on Tomoe white and 28 lb. Office Max copy paper and a western medium nib.

1. Xircon is a nice bright medium blue which is a near dead ringer for Private Reserve Tropical Blue and Noodlers Bernanke Blue. True blue without leaning toward purple or red.

2. Capri is also a nice bright medium blue that leans a bit more to the the purple side, but just a little.

3. Antique Copper is well, copper colored, which exhibits some nice shading on Tomoe paper. As I am new to this color I really don't have anything to compare it to. I really like it though.

4. Mahogany is a straight middle of the road brown without leaning ever so slightly toward red but not as much as Waterman Absolute Brown. This will definitely be in my rotation.

5. Emerald is a bright true green slightly darker than Diamine Apple Green but slightly brighter than Mont Blanc Irish Green.

6. Antique Oxford is darker blue and a near dead ringer for Visconti Blue but just ever so slightly less purple, and exhibits some shading. Beautiful red sheen just like VB

7. Antique Raspberry is dusky red which is very close to Noodlers Black Swan in English Roses.

I would recommend all of them but my favorites are the Xircon, Capri, Antique Oxford, and Antique Copper.

Sorry I can't send scans. All the above are well behaved with good drying times, no bleed through or feathering on Tomoe. On the cheap copy paper there was bleed through but this is typical with this paper. Hope this helps.

Edited by MKeith

• 1 month later...

As a result of reading this topic, over and over again, I ended up losing my resolve and I bought six bottles of Chesterfield ink.

I got:

• Chesterfield Amethyst
  • Chesterfield Night Sapphire
  • Chesterfield Antique Yankee
  • Chesterfield Mahogany
  • Chesterfield Emerald
  • Chesterfield Capri

I also bought a Bulow #6 Medium Fountain Pen Nib, just to see how it might work out in my other pens.

I already had more than a lifetime supply of ink, so I didn't truly need this batch. I guess that I just can't pass up a bargain.

Now it's back on the wagon again for me.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/Ink_Stained_Wretch/Street_cleaning_equipment_St._Louis.png

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 month later...

I've enjoyed buying and using Chesterfield inks for a while now. I also pulled the trigger on a number of bottles thanks to the wonderfully low prices.

100ml of Amethyst

100ml of Fire Opel (that's my orange fix taken care of)

50ml of Night Sapphire (beautiful dark blue)

50ml of Sodalite (solid grey blue)

ditto Cobalt (bright blue!)

ditto Tourmaline (now my favorite brighter green)

ditto Erinite (currently in my green Pelikan, classy)

ditto Antique Raspberry

I think I'm set for a while. But of course, at some point curiosity will pull me back to see the new line.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Could you post (or send me) a color sample? I bought the Cobalt a while back from them. The ink that came was much more purple than blue. I called and spoke to Ester and sent a writing and swab sample (used a Q-Tip). She said that, yes, the color was what it was supposed to be. She offered to refund my money if I returned the bottle. Packing, shipping,a trip to the post office and the time was not warranted to get the $6.00 back. Especially when I would have paid for the shipping back postage.

The bottle will be on sale at the Commonwealth Pen Show in Somerville, (next to Boston) on Sunday, September 25th.

Yes, they are good inks and and a good vendor. I am sorry to see them (the inks) go AND I REALLY don't need any more ink!!!!!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”