The Next Nakaya

Drcollector

The Nakaya bug bites hard. I have a Piccolo and Decapod, plus a Portable en route from Japan. The agonizing wait only bears ominous news for my wallet. I'm shopping for a fourth and have reached Japanese crossroads. I am drawn to both the deep red aka-tame and the rich vermillion shu-nurippanashi. I'm an open-minded fellow, so feel free to suggest some daring colors. Arigatou!

Urushiphile

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drcollector

• jar

• JLS1

• Willis

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nakaya bug bites hard. I have a Piccolo and Decapod, plus a Portable en route from Japan. The agonizing wait only bears ominous news for my wallet. I'm shopping for a fourth and have reached Japanese crossroads. I am drawn to both the deep red aka-tame and the rich vermillion shu-nurippanashi. I'm an open-minded fellow, so feel free to suggest some daring colors. Arigatou!

Commission something personal. Then you'll have a unique pen, and the compulsion will be satiated...

.... for a while.

Too many pens; too little writing.

The Aka-tami seems to be a necessity. Especially with Yama-budo ink! :)

Commission something personal. Then you'll have a unique pen, and the compulsion will be satiated...

.... for a while.

;)

The Aka-tami seems to be a necessity. Especially with Yama-budo ink! :)

Agreed :)

Urushiphile

I'm partial to the ama iro myself. I have the string rolled version and it's a beauty to behold.

Nakaya Dorsal Fin ver 2 + Kanshitsu Togikiri Bokashi, it's unique all right but I sense that your wallet might dislike my suggestion.

I have to agree, the dorsal fin 2 is amazing. I got a chance to use Leigh Reyes' at the dc show last year, it was surprisingly comfortable in the hand.

Ah yes, the Dorsal Fin 2 has been in mind since I saw Ms. Reyes' in heki-tame. I've also heard praises of the Neo-standard, but the clip and threads are a turn off for me.

Urushiphile

How about switch things up a bit and get a Platinum Izumo, Pilot Custom 845, Danitrio, or Hakumin Urushi Kobo?

How about switch things up a bit and get a Platinum Izumo, Pilot Custom 845, Danitrio, or Hakumin Urushi Kobo?

Of the above, I'd pick Danitrio any day. Unfortunately, the pre-owned market for Dani's is almost nonexistent. I'd like to try (not buy) one of their eyedroppers - as the Sho-hakkaku and Takumi are c/c only.

Urushiphile

• 3 months later...

Nakaya Dorsal Fin ver 2 + Kanshitsu Togikiri Bokashi, it's unique all right but I sense that your wallet might dislike my suggestion.

+1 When I first saw these I was "meh," now I'm transfixed after seeing them in RL and in videos.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

I'd agree with this - variety is the spice of life! That said, I am not sure I would recommend trying a Platinum since that's Nakaya's parent company so you would likely get a pen very similar to your existing set. Trying a Dani or a Pilot 845 (maybe in a rarer colour) would be a good comparison.

Also what about an urushi KOP?

http://www.fototime.com/E642234FBABDB9E/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9DC7E14E4C5388D/large.jpg

My Website

http://www.fototime.com/E642234FBABDB9E/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9DC7E14E4C5388D/large.jpg

Wow...what a selection. :notworthy1:

Now time for "Guess that Japanese pen"! I'll start w/the top picture (from L -> R):

- Nakaya Neo Standard, Aka Tamenuri

- Nakaya Portable (Writer?), Aka Tamenuri

- Nakaya Piccolo, Blue (Ao?)

- Nakaya Portable (Writer?), unsure about design

- Danitrio Mikado, unsure about design

- Platinum Izumo, Aka Tamenuri (red)

- Platinum Izumo, Sora Tamenuri (dark green)

- Platinum Izumo, Kuro Tamenuri (black)

...how did I do?

Wow...what a selection. :notworthy1:

Now time for "Guess that Japanese pen"! I'll start w/the top picture (from L -> R):

- Nakaya Neo Standard, Aka Tamenuri

- Nakaya Portable (Writer?), Aka Tamenuri

- Nakaya Piccolo, Blue (Ao?)

- Nakaya Portable (Writer?), unsure about design

- Platinum Izumo, Aka Tamenuri (red)

- Platinum Izumo, Sora Tamenuri (dark green)

- Platinum Izumo, Kuro Tamenuri (black)

...how did I do?

Close. The middle three in the top picture are a Danitrio Hanryo then two Takumis. The blues (in both pictures) are Kikyo.

The Dani designs are The tongue cut Sparrow, then Momotaro and finally a magatame raden.

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it bites quite hard. My fifth of 2016, a dorsal 1 in Nanohana-iro, arrived at lunch today. The yellow is a mustard hue that really is nice. I would highly recommend it. The broad rheuthenium nib is amazing, as usual. I agree with mingrelnimad..order something unique. My next is going to be a custom order. Already working it up now.

As of late, I've been drawn to the Danitrio Hyotan (Mae West). There is just something about Dani's plain finish that works wonders for me. No knock to their artists, but I've seen more masterful maki-e work from other names. I found a unique pen in Mr. Yoshida's personal collection and inquired about having it reproduced. The asking price? In the thousands.

Other brands' urushi lines just don't speak to me. Additionally, the KoP is far too large for my hands. Nakaya is dead center in my comfort zone. Danitrio is a close second.

Urushiphile

If everything goes as planned (i know... it does not sound assuring), in January I will pull the trigger on this one

http://nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=234&type=body

Anyone knows the current waiting time ordering directly from their website?

I too was interested until I found out they do not offer a writer version.

My Website