The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Vanishing Point Retractable Mechanical Pencils

pilot vanishing point mechanical pencil vp

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 18:34

Interesting to note is that the H-200x and H-300x series was originally sold with a nice hard plastic PILOT presentation box and a folded paper manual.  You very rarely see these appear, as such things tend to end up lost or thrown away over the years.  Well, one finally appeared with box+papers and I was set to bid a 75% premium over the going rate of the pencil alone (in very good condition but without sticker)... However, my plans were foiled by a fairly recent YJP bidder who has appeared on the scene, scooping up rare and collectible mechanical pencils (I've spotted their ID winning a number of them in recent months).  Unfortunately this one caught their eye.  We had a bid war to the end and they won.  I just wasn't willing to shell out nearly double the cost of the usual closing price for this H-2005 model.  I saw them pick up an original PILOT Automatic 0.5mm pencil NOS for 80,000 JPY, so it's hard to compete with that kind of bidding power.   :angry:

So here it is.  A rare treat to see!

Pilot_VP-_MP_H-2005_box-900.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Sponsored Content

#22 MYU

MYU

• Member - Gold

• 5,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:50

I created a visual to show the pencil model numbers with associated images.

PILOT_H1003-2105.jpg

PILOT_H3003-3005.jpg

#23 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:17

Thanks for that! I never knew about the H-210x.

I wish they would re-release these pencils.

#24 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,047 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 16:46

I had a 1005 for about 20 years before accidentally breaking it. :crybaby:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#25 MYU

MYU

• Member - Gold

• 5,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 18:05

Thanks for that! I never knew about the H-210x.

I wish they would re-release these pencils.

You're welcome. I also wish Pilot would re-release these.  The "Automac" is fairly close in design to the brushed steel bodied models. About the closest you can get to the black H-2105 is with a rOtring 800 in black.  It uses a twist mechanism rather than a "double-push". The "plus" version (800+) has a black rubber front end piece that can be used as a stylus on something like an iPad.

I had a 1005 for about 20 years before accidentally breaking it. :crybaby:

Sorry to hear it.  Yeah, it's tough to face something like that when the resale price of this discontinued pencil is so much higher than the original price.  I've not been hunting down the H-1005 recently, but on occasional searches seeing them turn up, prices are about $50 USD and up for ones that show definite signs of use.  Mint ones are closer to $100 USD.  And original price was $15 USD!  But keeping in mind, at 1990's dollar value.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, vanishing point, mechanical pencil, vp

Sponsored Content

|