Explanations Welcome: Why Is Lamy Vista Nib Becoming Gunky?

DAYoung

If you don't absolutely need and EF, I'd recommend to opt for the F, anyway.

I really enjoy editing with an EF, but, without paying more for a Japanese model (e.g. a Pilot), they definitely are a little scratchier. My Pelikan M205 demonstrator was fine to write with, but a nail compared to my M215 (let alone the M600).

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DAYoung

• Pen Engineer

• View from the Loft

• haruka337

Thanks. Yeah, it happened almost immediately, as I wrote -- so I don't think its a cap issue. It might be the ink (Visconti), though in my experience they're pretty good. I suppose the best test would be a Lamy ink, though I know little about their range.

Can't speak for Visconti (never used it), but I've used inks where gunk builds up in minutes. Terrifying thing to encounter if new to fountain pens and inks (as I was at the time). T-T

The regular Lamy ink line is a solid ink, if not boring. It's a good ink to test whether or not the previous ink or current nib is at fault.

Keep us updated with your progress!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Thanks very much. That page is extremely helpful.

hooo thanks... I am still early days with this blog... would you mind leaving a comment there? :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

I really enjoy editing with an EF, but, without paying more for a Japanese model (e.g. a Pilot), they definitely are a little scratchier. My Pelikan M205 demonstrator was fine to write with, but a nail compared to my M215 (let alone the M600).

In manufacturing are tolerances... the border between an EF and an F is 0.35mm, a 0,351 is an F. That's 0.001 of a millimetre, the possible minimal difference between a EF and an F.

I am not much of a fountain pen connoisseur and don't know the types of fountain pens you talk about. Just try to consider what I said. Whether it is this or that brand or model, the differences between a nib being good or not are minute. An F or above is much more forgiving.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

PS:

In case anyone is interested...

At the moment, I am writing a bit of filosofi on one of my other blogs, called SMILE.

In the footer you find a collection of my latest publications, there.

Enjoy

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Can't speak for Visconti (never used it), but I've used inks where gunk builds up in minutes. Terrifying thing to encounter if new to fountain pens and inks (as I was at the time). T-T

The regular Lamy ink line is a solid ink, if not boring. It's a good ink to test whether or not the previous ink or current nib is at fault.

Cheers. Yes, I might try Visconti. I think I have an ink sample somewhere.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

Some inks have more acid in them, therefore, they dissolve more of the stuff on the paper.... :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Damon-

Nice to see you posting: your writing series is one of my favorites.

Showing myself to be a nib vandal, I'd suggest your thumbnail. A Safari is strong enough for you to push the high tine down, or the low tine up, depending on the alignment of the nib/feed.

I'd never do this on an Italian, but the Lamy is made of sterner stuff.

gary

Damon-

Showing myself to be a nib vandal, I'd suggest your thumbnail. A Safari is strong enough for you to push the high tine down, or the low tine up, depending on the alignment of the nib/feed.

gary

.... the original market segment was school children!

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Damon-

gary

Cheers, Gary. I confess: the thought of fingernail surgery on this pen does worry me! If only because we're talking fractions of a millimetre either way.

And thanks for the kind words about the writing series. It's pretty much finished for now, but I have written a book on reading.

Damon Young

philosopher & author