Holy Grail Of Notebooks?

Mark-08

Hi all, I've recently brought myself a Visconti fountain pen and wanted a notebook that will match it in terms of quality but im at a total loss in which one to buy. I see people say Seven Seas the Writer is the best then others saying Rhodia but what notebook is really the best?

I've narrowed my search down to 3 notebooks that i think are the best but if others know of any better please post the 3 im looking at now are...Seven Seas ''WRITER'' A5 Journal 4th edition, The Paper Cuts A5 Tomoe River Notebook and finally a Mont Blanc Lined Notebook #146 A5.

Links...

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/seven-seas-writer-a5-journal-4th-edition.html

http://www.the-paper-cuts.com/

https://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/product/montblanc/fine-stationery-lined-black-notebook-146-a5

Any help would be appreciated and thanks :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark-08

• Studio97

• migo984

• T4TEXAS

Best for what purpose? When and where will you be using it? How would you describe your personal style?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Best for what purpose? When and where will you be using it? How would you describe your personal style?

I'll be using it for everyday journalism at home on my desk :)

Seven Seas notebook is really terrific. Tomoe River Paper is incredibly thin, doesn't bleed, doesn't feather, has minor showthrough (if you write on both sides of the page, you may want to reconsider), but can be very expensive. I've been using a lot of Tomoe River notebooks lately, and, while I love it, it's not the most rugged, and may not travel the best. Also, if you use a really wet pen, you may have some bleeding through the page.

What prevents you from wanting to use something like a Rhodia Webnotebook? For the money, they're excellent notebooks, and may be a better bet if you're looking to maximize paper per page.

If you're married to Tomoe River paper, check out http://paperforfountainpens.com as well. They generally have higher availability than Nanami does, and the paper is the same. I've been writing in one for the past few weeks, and am really enjoying it.

I have both the Seven Seas Writer and one from paperforfountainpens, and both have pros and cons. Either would be very well suited to a desk journal. But might I also suggest a custom, handmade journal by TMLee? Again, Tomoe River paper, but custom made to your liking.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen the paperforfountainpens notebook as the one i was looking at was from The Paper Cuts who are based in Japan has anyone got this one? If price wasn't a factor in buying a journal which would u pick.

If cost is not an issue, then a custom notebook/journal made by fpn member GatzBcn. You can collaborate in the design and as part of that choose TR or another high quality paper. Check out her work as shown here in the forums.

Second choice Writers' Edition with a custom cover made by gfeller. I think the cover runs about $85, so when you fill up one notebook, you file it away and insert another. I use the Writers' Edition (as well as others for a variety of notebook purposes, including school composition notebooks).

I don"t think there is a best notebook, anymore than there is a best pen or best ink. Pick one you think you will enjoy. You can always get something different later. Relax. Enjoy.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

If cost is not an issue, then a custom notebook/journal made by fpn member GatzBcn. You can collaborate in the design and as part of that choose TR or another high quality paper. Check out her work as shown here in the forums.

Second choice Writers' Edition with a custom cover made by gfeller. I think the cover runs about $85, so when you fill up one notebook, you file it away and insert another. I use the Writers' Edition (as well as others for a variety of notebook purposes, including school composition notebooks).

I don"t think there is a best notebook, anymore than there is a best pen or best ink. Pick one you think you will enjoy. You can always get something different later. Relax. Enjoy.

I didn't really want something custom and yes i've seen GaztBcn's noteboook/journals but they just don't appeal to me where as the Japanese notebooks do. I've also saw a notebook from Design-y who are in Japan not sure if many have it though as i prefer that than a Seven Seas with a custom cover.

Nanami and Design.Y journals are both first class, and of course both use TR paper :)

The craftsmanship of the Design.Y journal is superb, and this is reflected in the price. You can't go wrong with these in my view.

I picked up a Montblanc 149 notebook, but didn't care for the paper quality - very thick, very white and more toothy than I would like.

Smythson notebooks are excellent, if you can live with the pale blue paper which somewhat limits ink choice.

✒️ :happyberet:

Her notebooks have been worth every dollar I've ever spent. She's in this months issue of Pen World.

I'd choose any notebook with TR paper.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Money no object? If I didn't go custom and buy more from T M Lee, I'd buy a few more Design Y journals. Beautifully made.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Smythson notebooks are of the same cost range as montblanc notebooks, but are much better IMO with nice thin paper which takes ink quite well and they have great leather covers.

However, in terms of paper, despite the added costs, montblanc or even the Smythson don't really give you much more than tomoe river or Clairefontaine notebooks.

Of the two, although I know everyone here raves about tomoe river, I feel that Clairefontaine produces less line spreading, and shades better. Clairefontaine clothbound notebooks are generally less expensive than the tomoe river paper notebooks too.

It depends how fast you fill up the journal and where you intend to use it. I love Tomoe River and use both paperforfountainpens B5 journal, which has a hard cover, a good journal if you don't write at a table (I tend to write with my notebook propped on my knees). The Seven Seas is also fantastic, and to me lighter and more portable. I have the gfeller cover and like the combo very much, but if you don't have the leather cover, the notebooks can be kept in the box they come in. The Writer though has a soft cover.

The Design-Y is beautiful, but spending a lot of money for a cover doesn't make sense for me as I go though a Writer in 6 weeks, a B5 pffp journal in two months. I'd rather have a cover that can be reused liked the gfeller. But if you take years to fill up a journal then it makes sense to buy the Design-Y (I always grow attached to things I use over time and the Design Y is most beautiful).

I ended up buying the Seven Seas as the Design Y A5 was over £100 with shipping :o Didn't buy a leather cover either as it'll be a desk based notebook, am i right in thinking i don't need a leather cover if the notebooks sat at my desk? Thanks again :)

I ended up buying the Seven Seas as the Design Y A5 was over £100 with shipping :o Didn't buy a leather cover either as it'll be a desk based notebook, am i right in thinking i don't need a leather cover if the notebooks sat at my desk? Thanks again :)

Good choice. Even if they weren't sitting at your desk, the notebook wouldn't need a cover. I have two Seven Seas notebooks that go everywhere with me, with no leather cover, and they're just fine. The buckram (or whatever it's called) on the cover is perfectly sturdy, and although it frays a bit around the edges, I have no concerns about durability.

The Design Y is a nice journal but it lacks a certain something I can't put my finger on for me personally. I have no real desire to use it unlike other notebooks I have that are a fraction of the price. I've reverted to using it as my weather journal (I'm Irish, it's a national hobby).

I like my Seven Seas notebook but I don't like the "hard" cover, just a preference thing. I've ordered a notebook from GatzBcn with my preferred cover/paper combination so I'll see how it compares. It'll probably suit me the best tbh.

I have a number of A5 journals with Tomoegawa paper in use at any one time (mainly from Taroko Shop & Nanami), and I prefer to put covers on them. But multiple leather covers would be cost prohibitive. So I use microfibre covers. Robust but soft & pliable, come with a built-in bookmark, available in a large range of attractive colours, so my different journals are easily identifiable. I buy the Japanese Belle & Sofa ones. Work out about £12 each + shipping.

Here's a pic of 2 of my journals with covers. Top is Taroko, bottom is Seven Seas:

Verba volant, scripta manent

I purchased a Design-y about a year ago and think it is well worth the cost. Excellent quality leather, paper, and way it is put together.

Use it every day at work and amazed at how well the cover has held up with nary a scratch after all this time.

The Tomoe paper is a joy to write on.....

Highly recommend for those that want a truly high quality product!!!

And did I mention it lies flat when open?....

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Nanami and Design.Y journals are both first class, and of course both use TR paper :)

The craftsmanship of the Design.Y journal is superb, and this is reflected in the price. You can't go wrong with these in my view.

I picked up a Montblanc 149 notebook, but didn't care for the paper quality - very thick, very white and more toothy than I would like.

Smythson notebooks are excellent, if you can live with the pale blue paper which somewhat limits ink choice.

+1 for Design.Y

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.