Hobonichi Planners

Tasmith

These days I wrap the Hobo in a bandana before tossing it into the backpack.

Thank you for reminding me of a file I had tucked away on my computer about Furoshiki - a traditional Japanese method a wrapping items with cloth. How very appropriate. :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tasmith

• Cryptos

• migo984

• pepsiplease69

Thank you for reminding me of a file I had tucked away on my computer about Furoshiki - a traditional Japanese method a wrapping items with cloth. How very appropriate. :)

When I lived in Japan many years ago, I remember being fascinated by the elegantly cloth wrapped items. Never knew what it had a name. No one does presentation better than the Japanese!

Excellent thread guys. I am also looking forward to ordering and using daily a 2017 Hobonichi planner. Also like the idea of protecting it for travel by wrapping it in a bandana, Furoshiki style, prior to placing it in a backpack. Will have to try this in the future... :D

Bit stunned here. I've never heard of Furoshiki, had to go and look it up. Of course the Japanese do it so much more elegantly than I ever do. :D

I think the covers offered for next year are a bit bland, with one or two exceptions: the sunflower leather cover (which is too expensive for me but I do like the look of it), and one of the ordinary line which I shall get (tell you when I've ordered!). I liked the Rosso from this year too, but I didn't want to end up with all my journals leather-bound.

The 'lottery' covers always look a bit too feminine for my tastes. Though having said that I have an opportunity to get one of the Hello Kitty! covers. That will raise a few eyebrows among my colleagues I suspect.

I've taken the cover-on-cover off my blue/apple green cover and it looks much better, sort of sheeny. Me likey!

• 4 months later...

I've just begun using my first Hobonichi Planner. It's also my first experience with Tomoe River paper. All I can say is, Wow! The combination of the paper and my Lamy 2000 F and Noodler's Zhivago is magical.

I'm used to much larger paper planners, though, like Quo Vadis's Minister and the way-larger Note 27. So we'll see how things go with the teeny-tiny A6 guy.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Started using the 2017, and should mention that the cover I got this time around was the red canvas version with the zipper enclosure around the edge. It's a bigger form factor than the usual cases but has the advantage of being securely closed so nothing falls out. Will see how it goes.

Also, adapting a kind of bujo approach this year as I need to be super organised for work. It's going to be one of those years I guess!

Been using my Hobonichi A-5 Techo Cousin now for four days. Absolutely love it! Having all the different calendar types and the daily one page per day sections in one planner is just wonderful. I use the daily one page per day as a BuJo.

Bought the Olive Safari cover and pencil board too. The cover looks classy with extra storage slots and I find at least for me, the pencil board a must for writing on the Tomoe River paper.

While I like the multi pen that came with it, I want different colors so today I ordered a Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto 4 color multi pen body with .5mm red, green, blue and pencil refills from Jetpens. Thank you to all the Planner community multi pen reviewers on You-Tube!

When in the office, I'll use my fountain pens and out of office use the multi pen. I find the drying times can be on the longish side on Tomoe River paper, notably Private Reserve Spearmint and Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (Akkerman Royal Blue dries very quickly). So today I put a sheet of J. Herbin blotting paper in the cover to blot the slower drying inks.

ETA: Jetpens sent me this link with my shipping confirmation about mutli-pens, http://www.jetpens.com/blog/multi-pens/ct/26 Never knew until I read this that the Pilot Hi-Tech-C Coleto was the very first item the founders sold while still in college and was such a success they started Jetpens!

Edited by Tasmith

Last year I got the Avec A6. This year I went for the Avec A5. I'm liking the extra space in the A5. I also ordered a vinyl Caribbean blue cover. It smelled rather strong but I let it off-gas for a while and now it is tolerable. (The pockets in the cover are very useful, especially since I got four of the stencils.) I also got a "cover on cover" which really smelled like a wading pool, so I ditched it.

Edited by vjones

I'm also starting out with my new 2017 Hobo, which I use as a diary. Most of the time I use I use a burgundy Sailor Pro Gear Realo with a fine nib, inked with Sailor Hakodate Twilight Blue. This ink sheens magnificently on the TR paper. Sometimes I'll use another pen just for variety. My entries are strictly factual ones about what happened that day or where I went. You might think this would be boring, but my great uncle kept a diary like this for years, and it's fascinating to read his accounts of the most mundane things.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using my Hobonichi 2017 Techo Cousin for two weeks now and really absolutely love it. The biggest reason why is all the calendar types are together in one small yearly planner. So easy to reference events and tasks in seconds.

While the Tomoe River paper is a pleasure to write on, I quickly realized I need to be a bit more gentle while turning the pages due to their thinness so I don't wrinkle a page. Found using a pencil board helps me by giving a smooth hard writing surface and prevents embossing the page below.

Discovered some inks take longer than usual to dry on TR paper, so I keep a sheet of J. Herbin blotting paper tucked away between the pages. The blotting paper also helps as a guard sheet as the thinness of the TR paper seems a little more sensitive to moisture from my hand and prevents me from accidentally wrinkling the page if I'm not careful moving my hand while writing. In my view, tiny concerns when compared to the advantages of TR paper and the Hobonichi system.

While I liked the Uni multi-pen that came with it, I ordered a four color Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto so I could have red, blue and green .5mm gel refills plus a pencil. For an eraser, I use a Tombow Mono Knock 3.8mm eraser attached to the outside pen loop in the Safari cover as both multi-pen and eraser do not fit inside the pen loop. The red gel refill has a wonderful sheen on the TR paper!

Edited by Tasmith

Was going to get one, but decided to wait and now the link on Foyles is a 404 :( Are the Techo's limited production? It seems every single UK seller is out of stock.. :/

Worked for me, too. Jet was out, so I went to the manufacturer. They were on break 28, Dec to 6, Jan. Shipped promptly. About one day hop across the pond, now in LA getting a TSA Custom Strip search. Probably in my hands next Monday.

Anxious to get my hands on it and put it to good use. Mine the English Techno version with Cherry/Pink cover. Most other covers were currently OOS.

Worked for me, too. Jet was out, so I went to the manufacturer. They were on break 28, Dec to 6, Jan. Shipped promptly. About one day hop across the pond, now in LA getting a TSA Custom Strip search. Probably in my hands next Monday.

Anxious to get my hands on it and put it to good use. Mine the English Techno version with Cherry/Pink cover. Most other covers were currently OOS.

Ordered mine in October while the cover I wanted was still in stock. Learned from watching planner community You Tube videos that the more popular covers usually sell out quickly after the next year's line-up is released on the 1st of September.

Edited by Tasmith

I have the 2017 Hobo Techo in action. I have a simple cover from Gfellers and I have one one of the stitched nylon covers from Jet.

Galen leather has a great looking A6 cover the holds,the hobo and some other stuff. They look fabulous.

Then I stumbled across the jibun Techo

http://blog.bellebethcooper.com/jibun-techo.html

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I have the 2017 Hobo Techo in action. I have a simple cover from Gfellers and I have one one of the stitched nylon covers from Jet.

Galen leather has a great looking A6 cover the holds,the hobo and some other stuff. They look fabulous.

Then I stumbled across the jibun Techo

http://blog.bellebethcooper.com/jibun-techo.html

I was looking at the jibun last year but the layout is far too busy for me. So much colour & it's really muddled-looking. I feel tired looking at it! I much prefer the day-per-page, flexibility & clean look of the Hobonichi.

Verba volant, scripta manent

• 10 months later...

Just ordered the 2018 Hobonichi Techo Cousin in A5. A lot less expensive than last year as I will use the same cover and accessories. Ordered too late for Jetpens being out of stock with no re-orders (Didn't realize Jetpens had the A5 Cousin this year), so I had to order from Japan.

Probably didn't use all the features to the fullest in 2017, will try to do better next year.

Almost went with the Weeks Mega, but would rather err on the side of a larger planner for the extra daily writing space.

Edited by Tasmith

Was going to get one, but decided to wait and now the link on Foyles is a 404 :( Are the Techo's limited production? It seems every single UK seller is out of stock.. :/

I just bought mine from The Journal Shop during Black Friday week when they were reduced by £10.