Wahl-Eversharp Modern Decoband Gold Seal Experience?

Gedion

Syd, will you be in Dallas this year?

Sorry to say I will miss seeing all my friends in Texas this year 2 weddings in New York conflict.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raif79

• Wahlnut

• Gedion

• ArchiMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the Lapis Blue and it is really really beautiful!

We must have pics! I don't think I've seen anyone post pics of their lapis blue.

Per request, Here is a picture of the First Gen Lapis Blue Marble DECOBAND. Next Gen Blue Marble is called AMALFI and it will be available in about a week. The first generation is down to about 10 remaining pens.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/DECOCAT2_zpszrcddcjh.jpg

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Does the cap post?

Yes it does but it's both not necessary and really makes the pen bak heavy. The barrel alone is very well balanced and long enough to fill most hands smaller than King Kong's.

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Thanks. My main concern is losing the cap if it is not posted. Or dropping it and breaking it.

• 2 months later...

I have just bought my first Wahl pen. It is the modern decoband in demonstrator. There were issues in the first purchase where quite some noticable imperfection on the barrel (debris trapped inside the barrel, Cap doesn't turn smoothly, etc). After waiting for a few weeks, the replacement came, there are a couple minor imperfection but I decided to accept it.

GoldFlex nib feels very familiar with a stiff feeling on modern MB and western pens. I opted for SuperFlex nib that offer a different writing experience. The filling mechanism get sometime to use to and despite demonstrator, there is no ink indicator. I can't tell if the ink is full or otherwise,

Superflex writes very wet. On website, it should be F-BB but I would say M-BB rather. A huge pen, good balance, I just hope the material stands the tear and wear well.

Edited by OngL

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. OngL, I hope you enjoy your Demonstrator.

post-131820-0-22155500-1476285142_thumb.jpg

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. OngL, I hope you enjoy your Demonstrator.

Nicely captured. I do enjoy the pen, trying to get my mind away from the other colours. I find the box is a bit wasteful i.e. too big but small usable space. It would be nice to have some usable space instead of occupied by filler.

Wahlnut - is the demonstrator version limited in production? I'm in the process of saving pennies for it and am hoping to purchase a demonstrator version. Thanks!

By its nature it is going to be limited in quantity. Each one is serial numbered and while not exactly a limited edition, pens of this price and difficulty to make are limited production and will always be fewer in numbers out in the wild than the moderately priced pens. These pens also do not say WAHL-EVERSHARP on the clip..they say WAHL PEN. Many collectors acquire these pens as not to be inked "trophies", while others can't help but want to write with them.

We must make it clear that these demonstrators were designed as Retail Dealer items so they could show a customer how a DECOBAND pen operates with a clear view of the filling mechanism in action. Inevitably, the consumer collector market came a-calling so we made them available to all. We insert the following into each DEMONSTRATOR pen box before shipping:

WHAT MAKES A WAHL-EVERSHARP DECOBAND DEMONSTRATOR SO SPECIAL?

The WAHL-EVERSHARP DECOBAND DEMONSTRATOR is not just another robot-produced “see through” pen. It began life as a true functional design to enable WAHL-EVERSHARP dealers to show consumers how all DECOBAND pens are constructed and how the filling mechanism functions. From the first announcement that a demonstrator would be made for WAHL-EVERSHARP dealers only, a loud outcry from the pen collectors demanded that the DECO DEMO be made available to them as well. A decision was made to satisfy the collector’s demand. In doing so it has become clear that some education would be necessary.

Like all WAHL-EVERSHARP DECOBAND pens, going all the way back to 1928, each “DECO DEMO” is hand made and assembled by a skilled artisan who inevitably leaves evidence of their individual handiwork on each pen. For example, hand polishing of up to 3 layers of concentric cylindrical pen cap components inside and out, - totaling 6 polished surfaces - always creates a variance in transparency, and light refraction that is unique to each pen. Likewise hand controlled threading and assembly of each piece of the pen, can contain some variability in thread cut, depth, length, and the way each cut reflects light from within and without. Consequently to the naked eye and even more so under a high powered loupe or microscope there are no two DECOBAND DEMONSTRATORS that are exactly alike. We hope you will appreciate the uniqueness of each hand crafted WAHL-EVERSHARP DECOBAND DEMONSTRATOR for the unique artisanship embodied in each pen. In doing so you become an integral part of …“WE Are Writing History”.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Syd,

Thank you for your wonderful description of what goes into making one of your incredible Decoband Demonstrators. It's obvious that there is a lot of passion and love dedicated to each one that is made, and it makes me want to get one even more.

Do you know if there have been any reported problems with the rose gold plating? There are several forum posts regarding the trouble people are having with the rose gold plating on Montblanc 146/149 90th Anniversary pens. I just wanted to know if I should have similar concerns regarding the Decoband Demonstrator.

Aloha,

Jae

I have just bought my first Wahl pen. It is the modern decoband in demonstrator. There were issues in the first purchase where quite some noticable imperfection on the barrel (debris trapped inside the barrel, Cap doesn't turn smoothly, etc). After waiting for a few weeks, the replacement came, there are a couple minor imperfection but I decided to accept it.

GoldFlex nib feels very familiar with a stiff feeling on modern MB and western pens. I opted for SuperFlex nib that offer a different writing experience. The filling mechanism get sometime to use to and despite demonstrator, there is no ink indicator. I can't tell if the ink is full or otherwise,

Superflex writes very wet. On website, it should be F-BB but I would say M-BB rather. A huge pen, good balance, I just hope the material stands the tear and wear well.

Hi,

I've had mine for quite some time now and I don't think you should be worried about the quality of the material at all. These pens are built to a very high standard and I have used mine daily without visual signs of use. (A world of difference compared to a lot of modern pens).

Regarding the nib: Yes, the pen writes very wet and out of the box, mine was too wet for my liking and also didn't produce fine lines as I would like. I got in touch with Syd and adjusted the nib so the tines would slightly touch at the tips. This makes a world of difference. Mine goes from fine to BBB if handled correctly. I don't want to encourage people to mess about with their nibs if they are not confident doing this, but Syd is extremely helpful and will go through great lengths to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with your pen.

Hubert

• 4 weeks later...

Per request, Here is a picture of the First Gen Lapis Blue Marble DECOBAND. Next Gen Blue Marble is called AMALFI and it will be available in about a week. The first generation is down to about 10 remaining pens.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/DECOCAT2_zpszrcddcjh.jpg

Hi Syd,

Do you have any pictures of the Amalfi pen?

Thanks.