Received Lamy 2000 Marketed As *new* That Had Ink In It?

nmcnick

Hello FPN!

Today I received a Lamy 2000 from "jet.com", a site much like Amazon. The warehouse was from "advantage gifts." Since its a gift for my father, I went to flush it before he opens it for fathers day and found there was still blue ink in the pen. Is this normal for a pen sold as being new? Could they have been testing it? Is it a return? Or the worst of the options- is it actually used?

It seems to write well, looks new and shows no wear.

What do you think I should do about this?

Thanks!

-Nick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nmcnick

• Anne-Sophie

• Randal6393

• Sasha Royale

It is not unusual for "new" pens to be tested before they leave the factory (or in some cases, the store). They always seem to do it with blue ink. Those pens are considered new-in-box. I don't think there is a problem, Nick.

Gift it in good health.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Lamy does in fact dip test all pens with blue ink before sending them out, and doesn't clean them out. So this is what I would expect.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Lamy does in fact dip test all pens with blue ink before sending them out, and doesn't clean them out. So this is what I would expect.

Thanks for all your rapid replies! I will keep it then. It writes fine from the amount I've used it!

Have a very nice day!

I did a factory tour of Lamy...the gold nib department was closed, I only saw two ladies buffing up from a distance a couple of 2000's ball points. But they test the lesser pens like the Safari on a big paper drum by sound, the ones that don't sound right are kicked out to a little old lady for adjustment.

I think they are a bit more hands on for the 2000. There was no drum in that department that I could see. It's rather old fashioned, smaller machinery.

The rest of the factory is big modern machinery. Otherwise they would have to move to China.

So that Lamy pens have a bit of Lamy blue in them is normal. There is an ink section for making ink and feeding the cartridge filler machine.

600,000 pens a year...of all kinds.

The ball point 'cartridge' is remarkably old fashioned....'60-70's machines that work well still.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ha - I bought my Lamy 2K off a retailer on Amazon and the same thing happened. I took the pen out of the box and flushed it and much to my surprise a tiny cloud of blue ink came out of the pen. I sent an email to the vendor asking why they sent me a used pen - then researched (note - always research first!!) and found it's normal for the L2K. So of course I had to email the vendor back with my apologies :)

I have seen hundreds of new Lamy Fountain Pens, with the Lamy Safari and Al-Star you can find some that were not tested, however, the more expensive collections Like 2000, Studio, Cp1 Dialog are all tested.

There is a video of the Lamy HQ, on the company's website.

Lamy steel nibs are tested with a drum, then adjusted by hand, like Bo Bo Olson stated.

The problem is that unless the nib is medium or bold, it has a very tiny sweet spot, which matches the triangular grip that is taught in Europe and encouraged by the Safari, Vista and Al-Star grip.

Most students use medium nibs.

Gold nibs are all tested by hand.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I got my LAMY 2000 a couple of years ago. There was dried ink on the nib. When I wet the nib with water, it wrote with a blue line. I rinsed it under the faucet, until clear. Then , I thought to flush the entire pen. However, when I drew water into piston and expelled it, there was no color. The pen had never been filled, just ink in the nib. This is consistent with factory "dip-testing".

I use Noodler's Eel Blue in my LAMY 2000. It writes with a smooth, even line. How is yours ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The use of blue ink is almost universal in German schools -- a washable blue that can be eradicated by a Pelikan Ink Eradicator stick. Would guess that is why the testing ink is in blue.

You have one of the most prized of fountain pens in your collection. Good buy!

Luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The use of blue ink is almost universal in German schools -- a washable blue that can be eradicated by a Pelikan Ink Eradicator stick.

As a teacher in Germany I can confirm this.

I can also say that it is absolutely impossible to make the pupils simply cross out their mistake and continue writing after it, which would be ten times faster and much cleaner looking. Instead they erase everything so I can't see what mistake they made (which would give me a clue what they haven't understood), write over the erased part with the blue felt tip on the other end of the eraser stick, which looks horrible, plus the part of the paper with the eradicator stuff on it causes the red ink from correcting to bleed out horribly.

GRRRRRRRR .....

• 3 months later...

I got my LAMY 2000 a couple of years ago. There was dried ink on the nib. When I wet the nib with water, it wrote with a blue line. I rinsed it under the faucet, until clear. Then , I thought to flush the entire pen. However, when I drew water into piston and expelled it, there was no color. The pen had never been filled, just ink in the nib. This is consistent with factory "dip-testing".

I use Noodler's Eel Blue in my LAMY 2000. It writes with a smooth, even line. How is yours ?

Absolutely superbly! Currently I mostly ink it up with great business-setting inks that are permanent- such us Sailor Sei-Boku. It's really a dream to write with, wish it wasn't a gift hehe. I will have to get one for myself too!