Any Feedback About The Mb "eonardo Da Vinci" Limited Edition?

Symphonie

Hi everyone,

I've just read some comments made from the pictures in the 2013's thread when it had just been released.

I like this edition very much and I'm also very much "in phase" with the background and spirit behind LdV.

I noticed that these limited editions from MB (Great Characters, PoArts etc...) are very appealing and show a very nice craftmanship (depending on the edition) and attention to details.

I think I would like to go for such a purchase but the budget being what it is, one really needs to feel that every criteria is perfectly accepted. In the end there are many beautiful pens but, when you ask yourself if you would buy it, there is often something making you saying "no" because you need it to be perfect.

Hence, my question :) I would really like to have some feedback from owners or people who could have handled it with a background allowing to list the pros and cons in an experienced way.

I don't look at financial value, collectibility etc... I'll buy it because I tend to love it and have pleasure writing with it.

I would like to use it for writing at home only (I aim at the fountain pen version of course), I don't mind when a pen is a little heavy, I don't like posting... These are some of my creteria.

Some people don't like a metallic section, others don't like the step between the barrel and the section... These don't seem to bother me but don't hesitate to comment.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinion!

Cheers.

post-130157-0-98512500-1465858123_thumb.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Symphonie

• gerigo

• thygreyt

• alexandero

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have this pen and there are some aspects I like and some I don't. To me this is a classic example of the design aesthetics of Montblanc I am not too in love with. The designs are very literal in the way they take various themes of LdV's life and sculpt it on the pen. I would have preferred they take the development dollars and design a more unique mechanism or nib or perhaps even a retracting mechanism since LdV was such a tinkerer.

Otherwise it's built on the 146 platform which is tried and true and very reliable. As a pen and also a Montblanc, you can be sure they have made sure it's very useable. But because of it's unique design and size, you're going to attract attention. The one thing you can't know until you get the pen is that it is a dirt magnet because of all the intricate details on the pen. If you have a case with flocking, it will start to appear on the nooks and crannies of the pen.

However despite all I have said, it's one of the more popular pens in the series and hard to find in many boutiques.

I have this pen and there are some aspects I like and some I don't. To me this is a classic example of the design aesthetics of Montblanc I am not too in love with. The designs are very literal in the way they take various themes of LdV's life and sculpt it on the pen. I would have preferred they take the development dollars and design a more unique mechanism or nib or perhaps even a retracting mechanism since LdV was such a tinkerer.

Otherwise it's built on the 146 platform which is tried and true and very reliable. As a pen and also a Montblanc, you can be sure they have made sure it's very useable. But because of it's unique design and size, you're going to attract attention. The one thing you can't know until you get the pen is that it is a dirt magnet because of all the intricate details on the pen. If you have a case with flocking, it will start to appear on the nooks and crannies of the pen.

However despite all I have said, it's one of the more popular pens in the series and hard to find in many boutiques.

Is it possible to clean this pen with an ultrasonic cleaner? i think the dirt should fly right off right?

Is it possible to clean this pen with an ultrasonic cleaner? i think the dirt should fly right off right?

I wouldn't put the pen into an ultrasonic cleaner. My recommendation would be to simply use a condensed can of air to clean it. Edited by 888007888

I wouldn't put the pen into an ultrasonic cleaner. My recommendation would be to simply use a condensed can of air to clean it.

sounds simple enough thanks for the reply

I like this pen, but I wouldn't buy it as my one and only pen.

The step from section to barrel puts me off and it is just not quite to my taste. I think I would go for a Gandhi or a Hitchcock but of course YMMV.

Love this pen.

Clear and direct, thanks!

I see you point in your first paragraph and this would indeed have been a very interesting feature. I saw pictures of the "Artisan" 7X pcs version and there is a little dented wheel added to the cone part (it looks like a differential though I don't know if it is a working feature). This would have been even better indeed.

This is more an "aesthetical inspiration" theme. But I like that.

About dirt: I had exactly the same thoughts (inside the triangles shapes but also inside the mirror cap cabin). I decided I was ok with that as I write mainly at home and this is the use I aim to make of this pen. I imagine it will less likely get dirty.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated :)

I like this pen, but I wouldn't buy it as my one and only pen.

The step from section to barrel puts me off and it is just not quite to my taste. I think I would go for a Gandhi or a Hitchcock but of course YMMV.

I tried the pen to check the step matter between the body and the section: it is totally ok with my way of holding the pen. Thanks for mentionning, I know it can be a deal-breaker.

Thanks a lot for the comments as well!

To me, it looks like a non-functional item for its intended purpose which - if I recall correctly - is writing. I can't imagine that it would be comfortable for use for more than a couple of minutes. Furthermore, it looks unbalanced.

KAC, haha, it sounds like a case of sour grapes. It's not as impractical as you'd think. It's a great writer since it's based on the 146 platform which is a much loved pen. The problem with the pen is that it's such an attention seeker, people would ask you about the pen all the time which would negate getting anything done.

To me, it looks like a non-functional item for its intended purpose which - if I recall correctly - is writing. I can't imagine that it would be comfortable for use for more than a couple of minutes. Furthermore, it looks unbalanced.

I tried it again yesterday and it is very functional. I wanted to check these elements more thoroughly for a while. Verdict: the pen is perfectly balanced, not heavy and the "step" is not an issue regarding my own pen handling.

So, all is good.

Thank you for your honnest opinion!

KAC, haha, it sounds like a case of sour grapes. It's not as impractical as you'd think. It's a great writer since it's based on the 146 platform which is a much loved pen. The problem with the pen is that it's such an attention seeker, people would ask you about the pen all the time which would negate getting anything done.

That's what I could confirm yesterday and I'm glad to share your own experience with the pen.

I write at home only thus the pen will not leave home :P

Thanks again gerigo :)

i have one with a medium nib.

Writing with it is sublime, my only gripes are with the barrel... The "ornamentation" makes it a bit annoying for long writing sessions

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Can I ask you what you find annoying about the barrel's shape? Are you talking about the longitudinal stripes? Or the triangular pattern near the section part?

the step up or step down is irrelevant... i dont find any issues with it.

The weight? Its manageable... its just that first transition, the "triangles", what i find a bit uncomfortable...

Visually the pen is absolutely stunning... and writing is fantastic. I am sure that if i were to use it more frequently i'd get used to it.... but i only use it for special letters.

• 2 weeks later...

I own one and love it. Please note the gold gear on the clip will tarnish but can be polished with silver cloth. Not sure why it tarnish in the first place

The Leonardo is a bit overdone, the Einstein is more functional, but it matches the Sforza as Ludovico Sforza was one of Da Vinci's mecenas.

I own one and love it. Please note the gold gear on the clip will tarnish but can be polished with silver cloth. Not sure why it tarnish in the first place

Thanks a lot for your user feedback! I'll keep that in mind for the future. About the pen, I could try it again lately and felt it was a perfect pen for me as none of the possible issues were a problem for me and that I have a very soft spot for LdV.

Thank again.

The Leonardo is a bit overdone, the Einstein is more functional, but it matches the Sforza as Ludovico Sforza was one of Da Vinci's mecenas.

Indeed the LdV is quite baroque and more spectacular. But I think that is is completely coherent with its era standards and this is soemthing I personally like very much. As long as it doesn't diminish the writing experience.

Thank you for your input.