Advice Re Post And Customs - Usa To Uk

DrRoger

Hi,

I bought a pen from a seller with a first class reputation here on FPN who kindly mailed me the pen some time ago. At present it seems the package is lost in transit and UK post and customs cannot or will not help. Checking the status of the package on USPS gives 'USPS Tracking is unavailable for this product for UNITED KINGDOM' & 'not found'. The seller is checking things in the USA and has been extremely helpful and patient. However, if anyone can suggest reasons for the lack of tracking information or contact points for uk customs I would be grateful.

Thanks,

R

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrRoger

• my63

• Rach31

• Leeuwenhoek

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has it been? I have had pens come from the UK and the tracking would not register, it took 2-3 weeks sometimes. It is frustrating, though.

The pen was sent in May, around 20th and I should say that the last pen bought from the seller arrived quickly and is excellent. It's the opacity of UK customs/border force & the postal service that's frustrating.

R

It's only been about 2 weeks so far, I think you will have to wait unfortunately. It's not uncommon for items to be stuck in customs for up to a month and as far as I've seen no-one offers tracking or info during this process.

Hi Roger

Try putting the tracking number into the Royal Mail tracking system when I send items to the USA via R M as soon as it leaves the UK tracking switches to USPS system.

Customs won't tell you anything until an invoice for import duty has been raised if the item is valued at more than £18 the billing is done by RM father than HMRC and they wil charge you for their service too just to add insult to injury.

Hope you are well.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

If you can't trace the tracking number on USPS or Royal Mail or ParcelForce, then you could try ringing HMCE and asking them if they might know anything about it.

They don't hold onto things for longer than a week or two in my previous experiences.

If it was sent by USPS then it could be delivered by either Royal Mail or ParcelForce. It would depend into which airport hub it arrived from the US. They will send you a card so you have to pay what is owed first.

Oh and the maximum value allowed for merchandise is £15 not £18. It hasn't been £18 for several years.

http://trackitonline.ru is a useful international tracking system. Just fill first two boxes (shipment number, destination country), and you should be good to go -- no need to spend time which carrier will get it to your door. Edited by Lemony Cricket

Hi,

Coincidence is an odd thing: after posting about the pen yesterday it arrived today. The apparent delay was the opening of the package by uk customs. My thanks to you all for your kindness and advice, it's appreciated very much. I should also thank the seller for their kindness and patience above and beyond what one might expect, a true gentleperson.

Thanks again.

R

Hi Roger

Try putting the tracking number into the Royal Mail tracking system when I send items to the USA via R M as soon as it leaves the UK tracking switches to USPS system.

Customs won't tell you anything until an invoice for import duty has been raised if the item is valued at more than £18 the billing is done by RM father than HMRC and they wil charge you for their service too just to add insult to injury.

Hope you are well.

Michael

Hi,

Thanks, I think that the billing charge must make those wee gray cards they send out the most expensive cards ever. Turning to another issue if I may, the briefcase is still going strong and is in daily use. At some point in the coming months I'm going to polish it for the upcoming session - may I ask what you'd recommend? Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Roger

• 2 weeks later...