Blue With Good Intentions?

jj9ball

So on this pen I got a little closer to being back in design confusion land again. I think I have the basic general shape of the pen made in a fairly pleasing way, but I do wonder about my ability to match colors... maybe my wife is right (don't anybody repeat that). Anywho this one is 5 3/4 inches long. It has a chrome clip and polished aluminum centerband. The material is acrylic. It is equipped with a M JOWO nib. I would love a little feedback on this one. The part of me that likes blue thinks its cool, but the part of me that hates gaudy wants to punch that other part of me in the face... now I know how Cybil felt. Any comments would be very welcome, both good and bad.

post-114414-0-85858600-1465659607_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-66922200-1465659618_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-83154800-1465659632_thumb.jpg

post-114414-0-99960400-1465659642_thumb.jpg

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jj9ball

• mehandiratta

• usk15

• PaganArcher

Shapewise, for me it's a nice pen. But a little too busy for me.. I'd lose the different material section, finials, and cap band, and also the metal cap band. The body and cap material is gorgeous, and would shine if that was all you used for the pen... thinks me. Then the nib and clip would really enhance the cool blue and white swaths of the body. Would it be very difficult to get the stripes to line up? But I think even sort-of line up would be nice.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Shapewise, for me it's a nice pen. But a little too busy for me.. I'd lose the different material section, finials, and cap band, and also the metal cap band. The body and cap material is gorgeous, and would shine if that was all you used for the pen... thinks me. Then the nib and clip would really enhance the cool blue and white swaths of the body. Would it be very difficult to get the stripes to line up? But I think even sort-of line up would be nice.

I'd say you hit right at the heart of the problem. The only reason the capband and different colored finials are even on there is because I didn't want to fight with the stripes. You certainly can get them to line up. The process involves "killing" threads in a trial and error way until the cap screws on perfectly. So its possible to say that laziness is the birthplace of ugly pens :). Thanks for the feedback.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Also I think the contrast of white section is too much. Maybe a section from the same material, or a dark blue to balance the cool colors of the cap and barrel, maybe the same dark blue can be used on the finials.

Okay you asked for feedback so don't think we're all piling on...

First of all the workmanship seems first rate and I like the shape very much.

I would like to see the aluminum band on the cap moved further down and away from the clip, it seems like it's interfering.

If I were to use a multi colored material like that I would be very careful with the color match. You actually added two additional colors/shades to your pen (neither the white or the light blue match very well) rather than accenting what is already there. That is a lot of bold colors! If I were going to attempt this I would (try to) match either the white or the dark blue, I don't think I would pick the middle color.

I have found several striped materials that I would like to make into a custom pen but, as you pointed out, they are a pain In the rear to get aligned properly, so, I usually try to stay away from them. When I look at a wild or bold pattern I try to imagine if it would look better as just the body or just the cap of a pen. For me a little less of a bold material makes a more pleasing presentation.

I am certainly not the arbiter of fine taste, so feel free to completely disregard my comments. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you have something that you think works in the way that you want it to. Keep up the very good work!

Cheers,

Eric

Eric Sands

SutraPen & Atelier Lusso

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/sutrapenworks/

Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/SutraPen

Okay you asked for feedback so don't think we're all piling on...

First of all the workmanship seems first rate and I like the shape very much.

I would like to see the aluminum band on the cap moved further down and away from the clip, it seems like it's interfering.

If I were to use a multi colored material like that I would be very careful with the color match. You actually added two additional colors/shades to your pen (neither the white or the light blue match very well) rather than accenting what is already there. That is a lot of bold colors! If I were going to attempt this I would (try to) match either the white or the dark blue, I don't think I would pick the middle color.

I have found several striped materials that I would like to make into a custom pen but, as you pointed out, they are a pain In the rear to get aligned properly, so, I usually try to stay away from them. When I look at a wild or bold pattern I try to imagine if it would look better as just the body or just the cap of a pen. For me a little less of a bold material makes a more pleasing presentation.

I am certainly not the arbiter of fine taste, so feel free to completely disregard my comments. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you have something that you think works in the way that you want it to. Keep up the very good work!

Cheers,

Eric

Eric,

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. I agree completely on the Aluminum band. I "eyeballed" it when I installed it and didn't consider the effect the clip would have on it. The moment I installed the clip I knew I had goofed. The color thing is certainly my struggle... see all my other posts. For some reason I can't get away from the striped material. I just like how it looks on a pen. I usually just try to use solid colors to "unbusy" it and sometimes it doesn't work. Thank you again for the feedback. Its nice to get an opinion from someone who makes pen. It makes me feel like you understand my struggle :D

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Nice work. I do think the white section is a bit harsh looking in contrast. Maybe one in the light blue to match the ends on the cap & barrel. Not gaudy, imo, but definitely a...cool...vibe to it.