What Do You Think Of The 61? Is The 51 Better?

AL01

The pen and pencil 51 set I bought new (in the Air Force Exchange) was $25.00. This was not cheap in 1970. Probably about $250.00 or more today. I didn't realize that Parker had cheapened the collector and the plastic by then. The pen still works perfectly, though, and looks fine. The Mark IIIs I have do look and feel cheaper, one from USA and one from the UK. The fillers are cheaper. The UK 61 I have feels cheaper also. These pens still work OK, but I am not surprised I am unsatisfied by later Parker pens.

A USA made 51 Mark III I had with a fine nib seemed OK, but the UK 51 Mark III broad is about as good as a typical Sonnet. It looks nice, though, bloody burgundy with a rolled gold cap. All attempts to use it are disappointing, so the cheapening apparently has its effect.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• mitto

• pajaro

• Florida Blue

I have three 51 pen pencil sets and I too bought these cheap a decade or so ago. For around $50.00 each. Two of the sets are aeros ; black and navy grey. One is dove grey vac.

I have three mkiii 51s that I don't use. If you have the mki and mkii aero 51s you don't seem inclined using the mkiiis. I just keep them in my collection as these are all in mint condition. So is the case with my 61s and especially the capilliary ones.

Khan M. Ilyas

I inked up my black UK made 61 capillary filler last week, and it hasn't dried out yet. As long as the plastic holds up and the arrow stays in place, I would guess that makes it a decent pen. The ones that work today and aren't dried out tomorrow morning are good pens. I have found few of them, but 61 capillary and 51 aero and vac are among them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

So far as the beauty is concerned, 61s seem to me to be much more prettier than 51s. The arrowed front as well as the back or feddside --both look beautiful. The size of the pen is also excellent and the nibs I found are in no way inferior to 51s.

I always use the later converter version. My vote is for 61. I am not that bothered with the 'plastic material' issue so long as I handle them with care.

The problem with the inlaid arrow is that it fall off or rather disappears all of a sudden. So the beauty of the 61 on this count is questionable. The nib on the 61, however, sometimes petforms as well as that of a 51 or may be sometimes better.

I like the English C/C 61s more than the capilliary fill ones. Though I have quite a large number of the capilliary fill ones including the raimbow capped ones.

Khan M. Ilyas

If you can keep your 61 working as well as my first 51, flawless function after 46 years, have at it.

• 2 months later...

I was in the same situation as you are. PARKER 51 OR 61 ?

I heeded the advice from members on this forum and got myself a lovely Burgundy body w/ lustraloy cap aerometric Parker 51 in mint condition and have never looked back again.

It feels nice and solid and is a very smooth writer with no leaking or start up issues, no blurping or any negatives whatsoever.

Do not discount the Parker 45 however. It is a very reliable pen and a very good writer with a huge array of different nibs that are interchangeable in a jiffy. As good as anything out there and at a very low price. I may be wrong, but I think it was Parkers longest running manufactured fountain pen of all time. Their best seller along with the P51.

Hi, it has been awhile but I thought I might as well should reply to you....

A good friend of mine owns a P45 - and my goodness gracious it writes like a ballpoint refill that has its ball made out of unfinished graphite or something along those lines.... It was terrible to say the least.

2 days ago I have visited a good friend of mine who restores vintage FPs' and is a huuuuuge fan of the P61. Honestly, using both of 'em, I just can't say which one is better. Both have smooth nibs and have some pretty nice colors, but I really can't give you guys a definitive answer till I really use both. As many of you know I am a student and I can't afford to have my pens crack on me or what-not so I ended up buying an Al-Star from him....

Oh well....

Whenever I get to really use both pens I will make a detailed analysis. I will post on this forum when it decides to come up.

Thanks, Al

I used 2 Parker 45s through undergrad and grad school, and they worked just fine.

The problem with your friend's 45 may simply be a bad nib. Some of the 45s had really poor tipping. Think of a block or wedge or cylinder on its side, rather than a nice smooth round ball. Or the nib could simply have been out of alignment, an easy fix.

Also writing with a XF or F nib on less than smooth paper will result in a scratchy feel.

Today, two of my carry pens are Parker 45s.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The pen I used had a medium nib. It was an almost unused flighter... My friend who ran the store actually offered me a gold-nibbed P45, but you know what happens when you get a bad taste about something...

A good friend of mine owns a P45 - and my goodness gracious it writes like a ballpoint refill that has its ball made out of unfinished graphite or something along those lines.... It was terrible to say the least.

Your friends pen obviously has an issue with the nib. If the nib is sound and the tines well adjusted it is a smooth writing pen. One of most successful models made.

Your friends pen obviously has an issue with the nib. If the nib is sound and the tines well adjusted it is a smooth writing pen. One of most successful models made.

Yes. One of most successful economy model C/C Parker pens.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have several 45s, gold and steel nibs. I do not think I would introduce the Parker 45 into a comparison between the Parker 51 and the Parker 61. The 45 is clearly an economy entry. The style of the 45 is beautiful, and the design of the 45 is versatile with a decent converter and a nib easily switched out for another. Careful smoothing of the nib might civilize it.

The 45 also belongs to a different generatiion of pen architecture. 51 and 61 have mainly permanent filling systems, even though C/C was introduced and tried in both. The 45 nibs are screw in/screw out like later Parkers. The 45 is of a later design generation where C/C fillers are the norm. The 45 is more comparable to later pens.