Going Back To A Paper Calendar

Citygirl

Does anyone who uses a digital calendar get tempted to go back to a paper one? I've been using digital for a few years now, for my calendar, I still use a paper journal, but I sometimes miss the paper diary, writing down appointments, phone numbers and to do lists and keeping them to look back on but then the digital calendar on my phone and backed up to Google calendar is so handy, especially for repeated events and birthdays.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• knarflj

• tinta

• dkirchge

I use the calendar on my Apple devices, which all share without my having to do anything, and they give me alerts 24 hours before events. But I still use a paper book (Levenger Circa system and/or Staples Arca - or hybrid), and I can't conceive going without the paper in hand.

I have the same challenge. I went from a Filofax to iCal and have been using a digital calendar exclusively for many years. I'm making a slow and steady transition back to a paper calendar (MTN). I have figured out a paper birthday calendar (although its not yet foolproof) but I have not yet been able to figure out how to transition the repeating calendar events back to paper. I'm considering a separate small repeating calendar to keep track of repeating dates but not sure how that will actually work in day to day use.

So, I'm still looking for a solution as I transition.

Would love to hear what you discover along the way, Citygirl.

Best,

AD

I used google calendar for a while but went back to my bullet journal. At the front of the journal I list a month with 2-3 spaces per day. That way I can fill in several appointments if needed. I like having everything in one journal I can take with me anywhere.

Hi do both digital and a journal calendar version. They both have my appointments, but the bullet journal keeps track of other things like my daily intakes of food, medicine and exercise.

I have figured out a paper birthday calendar (although its not yet foolproof) but I have not yet been able to figure out how to transition the repeating calendar events back to paper. I'm considering a separate small repeating calendar to keep track of repeating dates but not sure how that will actually work in day to day use.

So, I'm still looking for a solution as I transition.

The repeating events are the only ones I've left in iCal. They're set to give me reminders a certain distance ahead of the event (birthdays, monthly mortgage, that sort of thing). When the reminder pops up on my computer, I enter the to-do on my paper calendar. Occasionally I leave the computer reminder on daily "snooze" until I actually do something about whatever it is. :)

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I prefer a paper calendar on the wall, not dependent on any other devices, other than a fountain pen, pencil or the occasional marker.

My wife tried to get me on a Google calendar, where we could share information. I used it for a month or so then went back to the paper format. Don't know,...it may be a generational thing. :unsure:

Reminders on the refrigerator door also enhance the usefulness of the paper calendar on the wall.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I prefer a paper calendar on the wall, not dependent on any other devices, other than a fountain pen, pencil or the occasional marker.

My wife tried to get me on a Google calendar, where we could share information. I used it for a month or so then went back to the paper format. Don't know,...it may be a generational thing. :unsure:

Reminders on the refrigerator door also enhance the usefulness of the paper calendar on the wall.

We must be of the same generation. :) For several years I tried to keep track of everyone's appointments electronically. I've given up, and now just ask my husband to please write everything on the kitchen calendar. So much easier - not to mention that the kitchen calendar is also nicer to look at, and remains available during a power outage.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Years ago, i tried an electronic calendar and found that it did not fit my lifestyle, therefore i returned to paper. I like paper and find it easier to use and remember things. I have a desktop, a laptop, an iPad and an iPhone, but do not like to be tethered to them.

Besides, in one of the college classes i teach, i require the students perform a twenty-four hour electronic technology fast. A few students have dropped the class rather than perform the fast.

I am very tempted. Just the other day I was thinking about.

I, too, am dependent on the Apple eco system which syncs majestically between my mac, iPhone and iPad. Mainly for the calendar, yes, as well as my ToDos

Just that sometimes I have such mundane things to do that I don't feel they deserve an 'entry' and often wish could just write them down. But I don't like ½ baked solutions to have this and that, so hopefully soon will decide on either to continue my digital existence or back to paper and pen :)

iCal is convenient since I'm on my laptop a lot and I can add in info such as directions and times. But I keep a whiteboard calendar in my kitchen to write on (it's got all months displayed in one place and is good for stuff like advanced scheduling, and is easily readable). I keep trying to keep a small planner, but it always gets forgotten about, and is just one more thing in my purse.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I use both. I sync my Google calendar with my iPhone and use a Field Notes planner. Sometimes it's just easier to look at things on paper and flip through pages.

-- Doug K.

I tried really hard to use a digital calendar. I like to use digital lesson plans, I write digital homework, I create my school handouts digitally, and I do a lot of digital photography. But, I just can't seem to use a digital calendar. It's so much easier to use a paper form because it's always there and always available. With a digital calendar I need a computer. Admittedly, if I owned a cell phone, maybe the digital calendar would be more convenient.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Owing to an illness which affects the regularity of sleep, my ability to keep track of time and days has been impaired. Digital diaries haven't helped me because I find that making entries is neither spontaneous nor rewarding.

I have just ordered a Midori MD diary. The seduction of writing with a good pen on fine paper with a chosen ink makes the task so much more appealing. Also, it is so much easier to see on paper how one's weekly monthly and engagements look and making decisions on what to do and when are all made easier.

We must be of the same generation. :) For several years I tried to keep track of everyone's appointments electronically. I've given up, and now just ask my husband to please write everything on the kitchen calendar. So much easier - not to mention that the kitchen calendar is also nicer to look at, and remains available during a power outage.

Jenny

Yes! I'd likely be divorced without that kitchen calendar to sync everything, including during a power outage. I used a digital calendar exclusively for work purposes - because everyone else in the office did - but now that I'm retired, I'm devoted to paper again. Paper never crashes or demands updates or arbitrarily deletes everything I've entered.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Yes! I'd likely be divorced without that kitchen calendar to sync everything, including during a power outage. I used a digital calendar exclusively for work purposes - because everyone else in the office did - but now that I'm retired, I'm devoted to paper again. Paper never crashes or demands updates or arbitrarily deletes everything I've entered.

Indeed & you also get a fresh set of pictures for each new calendar.

A recurring question in our house: "Did you write it on the calendar?" :)

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Yes, I went from digital calenders to a bullet journal--one of the best office decisions I've ever made. :)

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I have several computers, two android phones, three android tablets, one iPod and one iPad. That's why I use these exclusively...

DSCF6388-L.jpg

DSCF6392-M.jpg

I use a digital calendar because it can send the calendar notices to colleagues who don't use a paper diary and for recurring events (the most important is actually reminding me which colour bins to put out when the garbage is collected....). Other than that, I use a paper one-day per page diary because I track the work I do and keep a day log. Writing this down in the diary is satisfying as I can comments/thoughts, as well as flag items for later (tickler system). Yes, sometimes hunting for things can be a nuisance, but also a reminder of the meaning of things.

I don't use the task management system in calendar apps as in my view, the designers don't actually understand how work is done. Reducing activities to tasks is too reductionist and trivialises the work itself.

My suspicion is that the electronic logic of these apps is primitive and in the end will fail in the long term for individuals to manage their time as people realise the technology is really alienating themselves from their work. I should add that I have tried a lot of them. A colleague showed me his e-calendar linked to his Evernote system and CamelCodes and all that and it seemed just too much work for so little benefit.

I also don't use the online time trackers as while they may be more accurate, they lack joy.

...be like the ocean...