The St Dupont Olympio Or Orpheo And Similar Fountain Pens.

jar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• ArchiMark

• manhha

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do the Olympio Large and Extra Large compare to the new Line-D pens?

They are similar in feel and quality and the Line-D pens about the same size as the mid-size Olympio/Orpheo.

They are similar in feel and quality and the Line-D pens about the same size as the mid-size Olympio/Orpheo.

Thanks, Jar. Information about the Line-Ds are hard to come by. I have one coming later this month, I'll be sure to post pictures. :)

Edited by Polskawalczaca

• 3 weeks later...

All the line D pens I've seen have 14k nibs, even the Atalier upscale line, and are thinner than the Olympio/Orpheos.

Also, IIRC, the Opus X is a LE of 800. I fell in love with it, and it was a Grail for me for many years. I rejected a line D, because IMHO, it paled in comparison, and I would never have reached for it.

(I think my new grail ST Dupont will be the St Petersburg)

Cheers!

Adam

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

• 8 months later...

How do the Olympio Large and Extra Large compare to the new Line-D pens?

The Line D has the same length as Extra-Large Olympio, but thinner.

From L to R: Dupont Vertigo XL, Parker Duofold Centennial, Visconti Divina Maxi Brown, Dupont Line D Atelier Purple, Visconti Divina Maxi Blue, Waterman Exception Sterling Silver

post-126111-0-09143600-1494235304_thumb.jpg

The Line D is built like a tank, very solid, weighty and reliable. However IMHO the Chinese lacquer in new line D might be less attractive than the old Olympio, at least my fabulous Vertigo.

P/S: My love with Dupont was inspired by Jar.

post-126111-0-63622000-1494235794_thumb.jpg

Edited by manhha

All the line D pens I've seen have 14k nibs, even the Atalier upscale line,

True about the Atelier, but my Black Mother of Pearl came with an 18K nib.

The Line D has the same length as Extra-Large Olympio, but thinner.

From L to R: Dupont Vertigo XL, Parker Duofold Centennial, Visconti Divina Maxi Brown, Dupont Line D Atelier Purple, Visconti Divina Maxi Blue, Waterman Exception Sterling Silver

attachicon.gif2017-05-07 19.50.02.jpg

The Line D is built like a tank, very solid, weighty and reliable. However IMHO the Chinese lacquer in new line D might be less attractive than the old Olympio, at least my fabulous Vertigo.

attachicon.gif2017-05-07 19.46.41.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful pictures manhha!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures manhha!

True about the Atelier, but my Black Mother of Pearl came with an 18K nib.

I'm still waiting for your Black MoP pictures.

I'm still waiting for my purple to come, I'll upload them together as a family :)

I'm still waiting for my purple to come, I'll upload them together as a family :)

I received the Atelier Brown today. It's time to have a family photo shoot

From L to R: Olympio Vertigo 1996 (XL), Olympio Vertigo II 2006 (XL), Line D Atelier Purple, Line D Atelier Tobacco Brown, Line D Arabesque, Line D Placed Ring, Line D Navy Blue

All finished with Chinese Lacquer except the last one.

post-126111-0-35163800-1494437762_thumb.jpg

Very nice indeed. Thank you for the photos and inspiring us.

That brown is particularly elegant.

Stop tempting me Manha.. I must stop I must stop...

Very nice family portrait and pens, Manha!!!!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Call me a monkey's uncle. I scored this Olympio on an auction site for cheap, cheap from a non-pen enthusiast and assumed it was the Olympio Standard/Large. Today I was documenting its dimensions like I do with all my pens and realized it is the XL, coming in ~148mm or 5 3/4". Thanks to jar's post I have found the error of my ways. What a fabulous pen now that I have exorcized its hard start daemons through a barrage of ultrasonic cleanings to the nib.

Anyone know its weight posted and unposted? I don't have a scale.

27739518438_0652981927_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

Same here.

At the very beginning of my fountain pen journey, my father found a Fidelio among his stuff and kindly gave it to me. Being a newbie, I couldn't really appreciate the fine details and I was seriously considering to sell it, because I couldn't stand the tarnishing of the cap.

Jar's posts all around the forum, praising the fine craftmanship and attention to detail of the brand, made me appreciate and thus use my pen to the point that I now consider it one of my favorite pens that is never to leave my collection.

Same thing happened with Montegrappa!! You really do some great promotion, Jar!

@Tseg

I found this. I don't know how accurate it is.

Edited by inotrym

@Tseg

52g. Thanks! Now just need the unposted weight. Of course between no lacquer and the added diamonds, not sure how different it makes the weight vs. mine?

Same here.

At the very beginning of my fountain pen journey, my father found a Fidelio among his stuff and kindly gave it to me. Being a newbie, I couldn't really appreciate the fine details and I was seriously considering to sell it, because I couldn't stand the tarnishing of the cap.

Jar's posts all around the forum, praising the fine craftmanship and attention to detail of the brand, made me appreciate and thus use my pen to the point that I now consider it one of my favorite pens that is never to leave my collection.

Same thing happened with Montegrappa!! You really do some great promotion, Jar!

@Tseg

We are lucky these days as there are likely as many fine fountain pens being made today as at any point in the history.

Having rediscovered the main S T Dupont website, I rather like the subtly revised style of the current Line D and finishes.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 2 months later...

Is ST Dupont still using "Chinese lacquer"? And if so how are they designating it on their pens? Still with the leaf engraving? My large Olympio has the leaf but my medium Olympio does not. I think the guy at Fahrney's said it was still lacquer but just not the Chinese variety or as many coats. But that was years ago and my memory is a bit dodgy.