Question: Depreciation In Market-Value Caused By Signature On Pen.

dutch-courage

You are very altruistic :D

I'm just kind-hearted that way. It's how I role. :P

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dutch-courage

• penmanila

• RMN

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dutch-courage, looking at all the above answers, I hope it will be clear to you that the answer is:

't hangt er vanaf.... It just depends...

After all, in the second hand market an item, a pen, is worth: wat een gek d'r voor geeft.... what a fool will pay for it.

If the pen would be a Parker 45, with many still available on the market, an inscribed one would be worth perhaps Pajaro's 20% from the pristine. But on slightly less abundant items I think Terim's 20% reduction seems reasonable.

But if it is a very rare pen and one which is the only one still missing from your collection, you might pay normal.

Most people will be trying to haggle on the price because of an inscription. I would do too, even if I wouldn't give a hoot about the inscription because I use my pens without intention to sell. And after my death I don't really care if someone else will get less because of it.

Oh, and also bear in mind there are some pens that have an inscription as part of the design, like MB Writers Editions. You wouldn't want that signature polished out....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Reminds me of this request.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Reminds me of this request.

:D

D.ick (No, not that one..)

~

~

nope, not bad at all ;)

Still, believe it or not, this very morning I bought a small fountain pen with a big

It was a Swan SF1 self-filler with a very flexi nib that was inscribed: SWAN 1 14ct Mabie-Todd. :lticaptd:

Hi Dutch-courage, looking at all the above answers, I hope it will be clear to you that the answer is:

't hangt er vanaf.... It just depends...

After all, in the second hand market an item, a pen, is worth: wat een gek d'r voor geeft.... what a fool will pay for it.

If the pen would be a Parker 45, with many still available on the market, an inscribed one would be worth perhaps Pajaro's 20% from the pristine. But on slightly less abundant items I think Terim's 20% reduction seems reasonable.

But if it is a very rare pen and one which is the only one still missing from your collection, you might pay normal.

Most people will be trying to haggle on the price because of an inscription. I would do too, even if I wouldn't give a hoot about the inscription because I use my pens without intention to sell. And after my death I don't really care if someone else will get less because of it.

Oh, and also bear in mind there are some pens that have an inscription as part of the design, like MB Writers Editions. You wouldn't want that signature polished out....

D.ick

Hi D.ick,

I think what you wrote is a very good final conclusion to this thread.

Thank you.

Best,

Peter

congrats! for me the name would add to the charm of the vintage pen ;)

Still, believe it or not, this very morning I bought a small fountain pen with a big

It was a Swan SF1 self-filler with a very flexi nib that was inscribed: SWAN 1 14ct Mabie-Todd. :lticaptd:

Check out my blog and my pens

congrats! for me the name would add to the charm of the vintage pen ;)

Thank you.

Just finished re-saccing and cleaning the little gem.

Absolute incredibly supple flex.

Wasn't that a fairly low price?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Wasn't that a fairly low price?

No, that was a ridiculous low price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

So far this topic was about signatures op people on fountain pens and the extend in which such

personalizations would have a negative impact on the marketvalue of such pens.

Some of you were of the opinion that such name would add to the charm and history of a pen,

but how about company logos or names on a pen ?

Is that a different story ?

I am asking because today I bought a Sheaffer Targa 1005s penset.

It looked like it was hardly ever used and it came with a pencase with a letter "R" on it.

At first I thought the pencase didn't belong to the penset, but after I came home with my

newly acquired penset, I took acloser look at the pens and discovered a company name: "RICOH"

on the cap of the fp and another on the rolerball pen.

Now I so happened to have bought the set very cheaply and I would have bought it just the same if I had spotted the logo beforehand, but I do wonder about the depreciation in marketvalue of the

set in this particular case. The logo isn't very loud (like I said, I missed it on first inspection) but still...

it is there (see pics).

What do you think ?

Peter

post-130121-0-23005500-1466887421_thumb.jpg

post-130121-0-32069900-1466887467.jpg

post-130121-0-75107700-1466887495.jpg

Edited by dutch-courage

Well, Ricoh still exist. It would be of additional value to a (former) employee, and others would probably either find it lowers the value or don't give a wooden nickle and just want a good pen set.

Bigger problem is it is a slim Targa, so it will need special carts and no converter (or one at a ridiculous price)

The 1005s is on sale at Peyton Street Pens at 85USD with converter

They list a 1005 (regular) set at 105 USD

D.ick

~

~

Well, Ricoh still exist. It would be of additional value to a (former) employee, and others would probably either find it lowers the value or don't give a wooden nickle and just want a good pen set.

Bigger problem is it is a slim Targa, so it will need special carts and no converter (or one at a ridiculous price)

The 1005s is on sale at Peyton Street Pens at 85USD with converter

They list a 1005 (regular) set at 105 USD

D.ick

Hi D.ick !

No problem at all - the set came with the slim converter included.

Best,

Peter

I have read that company logos on pens lower value. I have watched on ebay some of these sales, and there seems to be a tendency for the pens to go lower than normal. Many pens had little emblem discs stuck on the clips with corporate logos. These seem to go lower. Any of these modifications ought to be expected to be value lowering rather than value added.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The presence of a logo puts me right off, but a person's initials or monogram do not matter provided they are not an obvious feature of the pen to a casual observer. The vintage pen I own has initials on it but you have to pick up the pen to examine it to find them. It bothers me not at all. Besides, I can always claim a possible ancestor while inventing a backstory of their fabulous accomplishments or notorious career as a swindler.

X

Depends on the logo. US Government or Pacific Bell Phone Co., etc. don't bother me &, in the vein of personalized engraving, can increase value for me. I consider myself to have underpaid for an Eversharp-Wahl that was engraved for a bank's big anniversary, nos w/box & paperwork.

On the other hand, I've turned away from some pens or pencils because I felt the logo cheapened the whole.

In the case of the Ricoh logo, it's not intrusive, but I don't have any attachment to the brand. I wouldn't value it any more or less than the unengraved item as a buyer, but I suppose general opinion would tend to value it less.

I have read that company logos on pens lower value. I have watched on ebay some of these sales, and there seems to be a tendency for the pens to go lower than normal. Many pens had little emblem discs stuck on the clips with corporate logos. These seem to go lower. Any of these modifications ought to be expected to be value lowering rather than value added.

Hi Pajaro ,

I think your observations are correct.

Perhaps those emblem discs can be removed ?

Best,

Peter

The presence of a logo puts me right off, but a person's initials or monogram do not matter provided they are not an obvious feature of the pen to a casual observer. The vintage pen I own has initials on it but you have to pick up the pen to examine it to find them. It bothers me not at all. Besides, I can always claim a possible ancestor while inventing a backstory of their fabulous accomplishments or notorious career as a swindler.

Hi Praxim,

So you do think there is a difference ?

It does make sense, since usually a company logo adds a degree of vulgarity and cheapness

to a pen - even if that pen is a Sheaffer Targa.

Peter.

Depends on the logo.

In the case of the Ricoh logo, it's not intrusive, but I don't have any attachment to the brand. I wouldn't value it any more or less than the unengraved item as a buyer, but I suppose general opinion would tend to value it less.

I would've preferred Nikon, Canon, Leica or Hasselblad :crybaby:

Does that make me a snob ?

Peter.