Question: Depreciation In Market-Value Caused By Signature On Pen.

dutch-courage

Hi all,

A question here:

I've been offered a rather nice fountain pen, but...there is a signature of the former owner on the cap.

My question is: to what extend (percentage wise) is the market value of a fountain pen decreased when bearing a signature.

Mind you, I'm talking market value here - not personal appreciation or such.

Edited by dutch-courage

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dutch-courage

• penmanila

• RMN

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw a Vacumatic sell for 4x its market value because it had the name of an english film star engraved on a wide jewellers band, that was exceptional.

Some people simply would not buy a pen with an owners name, particularly if the engraving is deep and could not be removed. To others an engraving simply doesnt matter.

If you want a rule of thumb as to the reduction in market value I would say usual price less cost of removal, around 25 euros.

I saw a Vacumatic sell for 4x its market value because it had the name of an english film star engraved on a wide jewellers band, that was exceptional.

Hi Beechwood; that is remarkable, yes.

Some people simply would not buy a pen with an owners name, particularly if the engraving is deep and could not be removed. To others an engraving simply doesnt matter.

If you want a rule of thumb as to the reduction in market value I would say usual price less cost of removal, around 25 euros.

The engraving in this pen, as often is the case, can not be removed

without severely damaging the looks of the pen.

Anyway, thank you for your input !

The first question you got to ask yourself is what is the going rate on that pen vs what you are going to pay for it. The next question is will that difference make up for the annoyance of having it flawed with a previous owner's name. If you can find a balance in question 2 buy the pen. I have never purchased an engraved pen in the 200+ units that I currently own, and I imagine I am not alone. It has to be something extremely special or have a monster discount for me to consider that.

It depends on the name, I guess. If it's Ian Fleming, then it will be worth considerably more than A.N Other.

The first question you got to ask yourself is what is the going rate on that pen vs what you are going to pay for it. The next question is will that difference make up for the annoyance of having it flawed with a previous owner's name. If you can find a balance in question 2 buy the pen. I have never purchased an engraved pen in the 200+ units that I currently own, and I imagine I am not alone. It has to be something extremely special or have a monster discount for me to consider that.

Hi Shawn,

Again, I'm not talking about personal depreciation but about market value - I mean, is there

a standard depreciation for signed pens as such ? and on a personal level: what would you consider a "monster discount" ?

It depends on the name, I guess. If it's Ian Fleming, then it will be worth considerably more than A.N Other.

Hi Sandy,

A name alone would not be enough (anyone can have the name Ian Flemming inscribed in his fountain pen) - it would have to come with a good provenance of course.

I own a nice small jade coloured parker duofold ringtop fountain pen which has the name "Kitty"on it. That is of course endearing, but the fountain pen I was initially talking about has the name of some lawyer on it. :sick:

Edited by dutch-courage

I don't think your main concern would be the value of the pen but rather the market size. Sure, it is possible to remove personalized engravings on pens but the process usually involves removing material and some people wouldn't want that even if it is possible. I believe it would be a bit harder to find someone to sell the pen to. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy it unless the price was extremely low (like sumgai low) and then I would hunt for a replacement part of the engraved section which may not be possible. I think there are people who feel the same way I do.

Hi Shawn,

Again, I'm not talking about personal depreciation but about market value - I mean, is there

a standard depreciation for signed pens as such ? and on a personal level: what would you consider a "monster discount" ?

No. There are no standards in pricing used fountain pens or standard discount percentage based on condition.

I don't think your main concern would be the value of the pen but rather the market size. Sure, it is possible to remove personalized engravings on pens but the process usually involves removing material and some people wouldn't want that even if it is possible. I believe it would be a bit harder to find someone to sell the pen to. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy it unless the price was extremely low (like sumgai low) and then I would hunt for a replacement part of the engraved section which may not be possible. I think there are people who feel the same way I do.

Thank you for your input, Canibanoglu.

I am not familiar with the expression : "Sumgai Low", could you please explain ?

No. There are no standards in pricing used fountain pens or standard discount percentage based on condition.

I see - so I guess we all must follow our own instincts in this matter.

Thanks Jar !

On a pen we'd normally price at $150, I'd have to reduce it by at least $30 to compensate for a typical 2 name engraving.

That is fairly specific.

Thanks

I would ask if you're buying the pen for resale or if you're buying the pen because you love it?

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

As others have said, there really is not a standard adjustment to a price. I would think it really depends a lot on the engraving. Something like "Hazel Crabb" (my father's first grade teacher and a great name I'll always remember) could be a deficit. An engraving like "Property of OSS" on a war-time pen could give tit a premium. Or if you have an inkwell marked "Property of Air Force U.S. Army" which dates it to 1942-47 and you run across this:

fpn_1462201213__image.jpeg

I personally (sort of) collect fun, interesting or unusually engraved Esterbrooks. These pens were cheap enough that they made a good pen to have engraved for a special occasion. I have several including ones marked to celebrate the election of the president of a snow ski club in New Jersey in 1963, as an award from the Safety Committee of a mining company, or one to commemorate "Kiwanis Pancake Day." I actually seek these out, but then I'm a little strange.

fpn_1463158759__image.jpeg

To me, an engraving gives the pen a past life, a history. If anything, I'd want to engrave my name just below the original owner and put a 1 next to their name and a 2 next to mine. Then as it goes to the next owner, it can continue. But, like I said, I'm a bit odd.

My favorite in my collection is a 1960's Esterbrook Deluxe just engraved, "Old Man Carroll." Now there's GOT to be a story behind that one. :)

fpn_1460747668__image.jpeg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I would ask if you're buying the pen for resale or if you're buying the pen because you love it?

Hi Shannon !

I am intrigued by the pen, and might want to keep it, but then again sometimes you sell in

order to improve on your collection, so yes - market value also is a concern -though the love part

always is the most important one.

The engraving saves me the task of naming the pen. No loss to me. Most fountain pens are likely poor investments, unless some circumstance makes them "rare". (By Exxon/Mobil stock.) If you want to use the engraving as "undesirable" leverage, offer 30% less, and negotiate from there.

Which fountain pen (brand/model) is the subject of this discussion ? How much do you want this used fountain pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

As others have said, there really is not a standard adjustment to a price. I would think it really depends a lot on the engraving. Something like "Hazel Crabb" (my father's first grade teacher and a great name I'll always remember) could be a deficit. An engraving like "Property of OSS" on a war-time pen could give tit a premium. Or if you have an inkwell marked "Property of Air Force U.S. Army" which dates it to 1942-47 and you run across this:

fpn_1462201213__image.jpeg

I personally (sort of) collect fun, interesting or unusually engraved Esterbrooks. These pens were cheap enough that they made a good pen to have engraved for a special occasion. I have several including ones marked to celebrate the election of the president of a snow ski club in New Jersey in 1963, as an award from the Safety Committee of a mining company, or one to commemorate "Kiwanis Pancake Day." I actually seek these out, but then I'm a little strange.

fpn_1463158759__image.jpeg

To me, an engraving gives the pen a past life, a history. If anything, I'd want to engrave my name just below the original owner and put a 1 next to their name and a 2 next to mine. Then as it goes to the next owner, it can continue. But, like I said, I'm a bit odd.

My favorite in my collection is a 1960's Esterbrook Deluxe just engraved, "Old Man Carroll." Now there's GOT to be a story behind that one. :)

fpn_1460747668__image.jpeg

Hi AAAndrew,

I agree with you - these engravings are a possitive addition.

How about engraving a fountain pen with: " I WANT MY PEN BACK ! "

The engraving saves me the task of naming the pen.

Cool.

No loss to me. Most fountain pens are likely poor investments, unless some circumstance makes them "rare". (By Exxon/Mobil stock.) If you want to use the engraving as "undesirable" leverage, offer 30% less, and negotiate from there.

Which is my intention.

Which fountain pen (brand/model) is the subject of this discussion ? How much do you want this used fountain pen ?

I will tell you afterwards. :rolleyes:

Edited by dutch-courage