As both a giver of PIFs and and receiver of PIFs I can tell you that I've been able to try things that I would never have seen had it not been for the generosity of other FPNers.

mr2txaggie this is not an entry - I actually have several Rhodia pad that I quite adore, but it is an request to exchange letters that I can add to the CRV stash. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr2txaggie

• zwack

• IrishEyes

• AllisonS

Deleted to bow to the kinder interpretation of the critical post.

Edited by ScienceChick

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I may have read the offending post incorrectly sciencechick but it looks like the comment was not for the giver of the PIF but towards the person who puts themselves before others when they already have plenty

I'm utterly disgusted by what is, to me, the sense of entitlement that allows anyone to criticize the manner of an act of generosity. Others words like aghast, appalled, disappointed also come to mind. Great way to discourage future PIFs, too.

The post wasn't a criticism of the PIF-giver! I agree with Kenlowe above.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Clive-Andrew, you asked a very reasonable question. I doubt anyone perceived your question as inflammatory - I didn't. I'm reasonably certain that we all recognized it for the honest question that it was.

Regrettably, the first person who answered your "CONUS" question took advantage of the open text box to continue with an unreasonable tirade against the long-established, traditional PIF system, where-in the giver decides and states the contest rules. I'm really new here; I've never won a PIF, but even I understand how they work, and who knows, maybe one day I will enter and win one. I'm more excited though about the possibility of hosting one some day.

Hi and thanks to all for your comments. I never intended to start a debate..

Clive-Andrew

Edited by FPRebel

FPers,

I hesitated to post on this PIF in light of recent comments, however, I would like to make a few points known:

My post will in no way be in defense of the requirements I set forth for this PIF.

Let's review some PIFs I offered in the past 6 1/2 - 7 months;

1. November ~ 2015, an L2K, 14kt nib, I was the original owner, pen in pristine condition

2. January ~ 2016, a Platinum Century 3776 14 kt gold nib, again I was the first owner & pen was pristine

3. Because I had right at 50 people in the Platinum drawing, I decided to offer another FP,a Lamy Royal Red Studio, 14 kt gold nib

4. Somewhere in there I sponsored another PIF, this one of Rhodia, 2 mouse/scratch, 90 g paper, 50 sheets per pad

Each of these PIFs were opened to the free World-Wide postage. These pens weren't MB, nor were they " Bics ", ( no offense intended ).

If I was concerned with postage I would not have offered it to the world.

The reason I made the stipulation of the length of membership is I care that the " winner " truly wants to have a commitment to this community.

Now, why did I change the rule to CONUS? I was " chatting " to a friend that informed me that in some places the fees/duties/other such collectible monies would/could be more than if the " winner just bought the tablets outright?? I have no sense of what the member might expected to pay. Now, please don't lambasted me.

I've made the requirements and they will NOT change, unless the PIF is canceled ( it won't by me ).

I truly hope folks can move forward. and enjoy this PIF.

As I mentioned, it is not an expensive PIF, but who ever has too much paper😊😊.

I didn't post this this try to display " Bragging rights ". It is to help folks see that somethings can be different than they might appear.

Good luck 😎,

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Now, why did I change the rule to CONUS? I was " chatting " to a friend that informed me that in some places the fees/duties/other such collectible monies would/could be more than if the " winner just bought the tablets outright?? I have no sense of what the member might expected to pay. Now, please don't lambasted me.

aggie

Just to put this into context, a PIF is a Gift, and should be marked as such on any customs form that is attached to a parcel. As far as the recipient is concerned, it is also a 'free gift', so there should be no high value involved for the recipient to have to pay Customs taxes on.

I think that what you have offered is great and an example to us all.

Could not of stated it better. Even though I am not eligible

mr2txaggie THANK YOU! YOU ARE TO BE COMMENDED!!!!!!!

Chrissy,

Thank you for enlightening me as to to collectible monies, as I said I, myself, had no knowledge of this matter.

As for the Rhodia PIF, it will remain CONUS. Any future ones, I'll do as I did before and go back to World-Wide.

Enjoy this one.

Then your up-keep.

Thanks for the post mentioning customs and such. I have such a Texas centric world view because my experiences are as the recipient of an international purchase. Import duties, customs fees, VAT, etc is a real issue for a lot of people. Shipping/handling is a consideration worldwide. It took a fellow Texan to remind me how fortunate I really am even if it seems otherwise.

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

mr2txaggie, you are an amazingly generous person! Thank you for your kind gifts to your fellow FPNers! You are a great example to all of us and an inspiration to many of us. I am honored to have been considered for your previous PIFs, and would be honored to be considered for this one as well.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

...These contests/PiFs are acts of kindness, and fun for everyone who enjoys participating in them...

As one who's been around pen forums since they began, it was daunting throwing my name in for such a special gift.

Now, I don't regret it for a second. Except for my initial concern, it was a warm, wonderful experience throughout. My friend in TX, IE, Z, and TML all know how to be cheerful, gracious giver's and recipients. It's a great list to be on, and I recommend it.

Also, as one who tends to be more of a caretaker-type person, being on the receiving end has been a lesson in humility. Amazingly the same week as the special pen PIF, I had a local random act of kindness, to which I was saying "no I can't allow you to do this.. to which the person practically clobbered me over the head with "Be Gracious and allow me"... I did, and it was a lesson. Perhaps an aspect of this was the perspective of the concerned poster?

An additional thought is that those who share gifts or PIF may do so quietly, in the manner of not letting their right hand know what their left is doing.

Thankfully not in January or I wouldn't be holding at this moment the lovely red pen that fits my hand like no other I've ever held :wub:

PS, this also allows an update on my own PIF appreciation.

Play-on with joy!

P2P, I, too, love the Lamy Studio pen in Royal Red that Z won in the same PIF by aggie. Z, who knows I LOVE Lamys AND that in-your-face-red is my favorite color, gifted it to me after he won it :wub:. I absolutely ADORE that pen, and I am SO thankful for and appreciate aggie's wonderous generosity! I feel extremely blessed to have her--and you--and so many, many other kind and generous people on this forum. It is still my favorite place to hang out on the internet :) .

"In the end, only kindness matters."

So generous! I'd love to give ita go.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

FPers,

Since The first date I saw this PIF posted was June 9, 2016, I will be using the random number generator on

June 15, 2016. It will be sometime that evening or early nighttime.

Then your up-keep.