Right Ink For A New Lawyer

AAAndrew

My nephew has just finished law school and is studying for the bar. We're proud of him as he's worked very hard to put himself through law school while working full time to minimize any debt in the end.

So, I'm going to buy him a fountain pen, of course!

The pen I can handle, but I'm wondering about the ink and thought I might be able to find someone 'round here with an opinion about ink. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that something permanent would be good, as well as "uneventful" (he's going into tax law, so no sunburst oranges, please). I think since he's pretty new to fountain pens, something quick drying, and low-maintenance would be good as well.

If it helps, based on his reaction to the various pens of mine he's seen, I'm thinking a TWSBI Mini with a fine nib will work best. He doesn't like really big pens, or heavy ones. Even though he's going into tax law, he doesn't like super fine points, but I'm thinking a medium may be too big based on the pens he currently uses. It also allows him to understand how his pen works, see the ink, and isn't too much of an investment in case he decides he doesn't like fountain pens. (I know, hard to believe, but a few people in the world are crazy like this)

So, ink suggestions based on these criteria? I know there are more than a couple of lawyers out there with more than a passing knowledge of both the law and ink, so I'm sure I can get some suggestions going.

Thanks!

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• amberleadavis

• AndyYNWA

• chromantic

Diamine, Akkerman, or MontBlanc Royal Blue.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I'll prepare the summoning ritual for the wild Amberlea...

Who better to consult than the lawyering mistress of inky addiction?

Platinum Century #3776 pen + Platinum Pigment Blue cartridges.

Everything is compatible, easy to maintain and pleasant to write with.

Not a lawyer, but have worked in tax (income and sales). A good blue black for everyday use and a red for markup.

My suggestion would be two Diamine inks: blue black and Classic Red.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Can't go wrong with black ink. Black is serious. Pelikan 4001 series inks flows well in all my pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Which Diamine's are permanent? (i.e. waterproof, fadeproof) Is Pelikan 4001 permanent?

I'm thinking blue black or black and maybe a red, but that means two pens. :)

I like the idea of the Platinum cap that keeps it from drying out, but I've heard the pigmented ink from Platinum can take some time to dry out. I may be wrong in my recollection. And I'd like to get him a bottled ink, and a decent reservoir of ink in the pen itself. (hence my looking at a piston filler)

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Yes, tax LAW is not tax ACCOUNTING, so he does not need the XXF nib of a tax accountant :)

One of the things that I learned from discussions with several attorneys is subtle marketing. Show that you are doing well $$$, to imply that you are GOOD enough to get lots of business. IOW, don't look frugal. Frugality implies that you are not good enough to bring in lots of business.

In general, I would not use a clear pen for the primary pen (blue-black). A clear pen might tag him as 'geeky' to his co-workers or clients. I would more associate a clear pen to an attorney in the technology or arts field, or one working with start-ups. A BLACK TWSBI Classic would fit the bill, for the primary pen.

I agree with Ute on the 2 inks; blue-black (general use) and red (for markups).

The problem I have had with blue is finding a decent shade of blue that works on different papers, without looking washed out. The only blues that I like are PR DCSS blue and Diamine Midnight (DM is so dark it looks like a blue-black)

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi,

+1 for MB Royal Blue, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black [an import] and the Pilot Blue & Blue-Black.

Sailor Blue, Diamine Sapphire, Private Reserve Midnight Blues and the ever so boring Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black are worthy contenders.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Don't worry about the ink, lawyers use the blood of their clients to sign documents.

Forgive me--I'm feeling anemic.

---

Sailor Sei-boku would be a delightful ink choice. Water-proof, permanent, no feathering, plays well on all paper and the color is (to me) unique, yet professional.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

That Sailor ink looks interesting.

The more I think about it the more I agree about the clear pen. Today I just received in the mail a NOS Pilot Elite (c.1980's) and it's great. Clean lines, sophisticated without being in your face. My nephew is not an "in your face" kind of person. And he lived in Japan for two years and speaks fluent Japanese. Maybe one of the new revivals, the Pilot E95. The new one is a C/C, but maybe that's not so bad....

-Montaigne

For your consideration:

Blue-Black Inks

They all work.

Skrip

Pelikan

Waterman

Montblanc

Diamine

Quink

Fred

Amberleadavis will agree. Noodler's Blue Steel from Dromgoole's in Houston. Works well in every pen I've used and is a good color. And it is not black, so you can tell if it is original or photocopy.

Peace and Understanding

I'll prepare the summoning ritual for the wild Amberlea...

Who better to consult than the lawyering mistress of inky addiction?

ROFL I was already thinking about my response.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I almost hate to say this, because I know people who like permanent inks get very passionate about that, but I would go for a normal, washable blue ink made by a company like Waterman, Pelikan or Montblanc. Permanent ink is not necessary for legal work. And for a new fountain pen user, who may not use the pen every day, a washable, non-staining, easy-to-clean ink is just the ticket. Those inks also tend to work very well on poor paper, which is probably what he'll meet with in an office setting.

Okay, I admit, this is really the kind of inky question that makes me downright giddy. Now remember, isn't for me the user of Orange Pens and even Oranger inks.

For a pen - TWSBI Classic in Black with a fine nib. It looks rich and has a great price tag. If the budget is a little bigger, I would suggest the Namiki / Pilot Capless. I was able to buy a silver one on a Japanese website a while back for about $75 with shipping.

For Ink - 1 Bottle of Dromgoole's Blue Steel and 1 Bottle of Noodler's Upper Ganges.

Okay, I everyone knew I'd pick DBS for a solid performing blue black, but Upper Ganges?????

Well, It's fade proof, water resistant AND it has a distinct UV spectrum. I used to use Luxury Blue on my contracts, but found that for half the price, NUG worked quite well. No, it's not as bright as I generally prefer, but in a conservative business, this is a great conservative blue. When I went to trial on "original signatures" it was a Perry Mason moment when I pulled out the black light and showed the contracts were originals because of the UV signature of Lux blue. I've never had to take any of the NUG writings to court, but I can tell you that my tests showed it held up well. Okay, I still prefer the artwork on Luxury Blue.

Now, personally, I love PR DCSSB for many reasons, but for those who aren't big into pen hygiene, PR American Blue is close enough with a lot less fuss. I didn't recommend either of these because they aren't water resistant. Diamine Majestic Blue or Akkerman Shocking Blue are beautiful but they are not dependable. I've never gotten them to work for me and I wouldn't recommend them for a newbie.

Okay, wait, if you want a great Japanese ink - Pilot Blue and Pilot blue Black. Great price, great performance. I love Sei Boku, but it is also not fuss free.

Okay, I'm heading back to the land of retina searing inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Don't worry about the ink, lawyers use the blood of their clients to sign documents.

Forgive me--I'm feeling anemic.

---

Sailor Sei-boku would be a delightful ink choice. Water-proof, permanent, no feathering, plays well on all paper and the color is (to me) unique, yet professional.

http://www.vampirerave.com/db/pictures/5101.jpg

OOOO Wait, I found it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yegVuqBVFfw/Tyfq4grATTI/AAAAAAAACFo/fuQiratumUc/s1600/no+pencils.JPG

BTW, Brad brought me a REAL quill pen. I do NOT allow pencils in the office.