Sample 104 - 13.0
Sample 105 - 10.0
Sample 106 - 4.5
Sample 107 - 1.5
Sample 108 - 6.5
Sample 109 - 4.5
Sample 110 - 3.0
Edited by jaysongo

Thanks. If you or anyone else wants to be able to analyze results of something like this the standard database format is a line for each case and a column for each variable. In this case that would mean columns for the score, the pen, and the paper, with the "row" numbers you used optional. In this instance it would allow us to extract average scores for pens and inks as well as papers. Spreadsheets put both input (scores) and output (averages, totals) in the same file which is nice for reading by humans but makes life difficult if you ever want to ask additional questions of the data. In this case the cost is the labor of typing in all the informatian on pens and inks.

I don't mean this as criticism -- after all, I did not volunteer to do the typing either;-) I just pass it on because as a statistical consultant I too often see people who have put a lot of effort into entering data in a way that made sense to them only to find out the result is not usable for the further analyses they hoped I would show them how to do!-(

Thanks. If you or anyone else wants to be able to analyze results of something like this the standard database format is a line for each case and a column for each variable. In this case that would mean columns for the score, the pen, and the paper, with the "row" numbers you used optional. In this instance it would allow us to extract average scores for pens and inks as well as papers. Spreadsheets put both input (scores) and output (averages, totals) in the same file which is nice for reading by humans but makes life difficult if you ever want to ask additional questions of the data. In this case the cost is the labor of typing in all the informatian on pens and inks.

I don't mean this as criticism -- after all, I did not volunteer to do the typing either;-) I just pass it on because as a statistical consultant I too often see people who have put a lot of effort into entering data in a way that made sense to them only to find out the result is not usable for the further analyses they hoped I would show them how to do!-(

Glad you find the file useful. Like I said before, it was never intended for any sort of statistical analysis beyond tabulation, so it was formatted to fit my very narrow purposes. Certainly I never had any idea that others would be interested in it at all. I'm personally not concerned in accumulating any statistics beyond what I already post, but if you or anyone are inclined to re-purpose the data for analysis beyond what I regularly present, you're welcome to it. The file will update as I go along.

Edited by jaysongo

• 4 weeks later...

This is great!! Just what I needed!

I've used Black & Red wirebound hardback notebooks for many years as my day books for both work and home, but I'm currently looking for a Clairefontaine alternative, thanks to this post.

I've loved Black & Red books for so long but need to upgrade due to the fact that I don't like the bleedthrough when I use my favourite pen, Grifos Cappuccino, with extra fine nib; and my favourite ink - Purple Pazzazz by Diamine.

~ Plan for Tomorrow * Live for Today ~

This is great!! Just what I needed!

I've used Black & Red wirebound hardback notebooks for many years as my day books for both work and home, but I'm currently looking for a Clairefontaine alternative, thanks to this post.

I've loved Black & Red books for so long but need to upgrade due to the fact that I don't like the bleedthrough when I use my favourite pen, Grifos Cappuccino, with extra fine nib; and my favourite ink - Purple Pazzazz by Diamine.

Thanks, I'm glad you find it helpful. I'll have another one up shortly, probably near the end of the week.

I find the quality of Black n' Red notebooks vary depending on where they're made. I hear the ones out of the UK use Oxford Optik paper, which I've heard very good things about and have always wanted to try. Hearing that an extra-fine nib would bleed through Black n' Red paper is unsurprising given my experience with the Polish version.

You can't go wrong with Clairefontaine: not only does it consistently perform the best in my testing, it comes in a lot of different bindings and sizes and it's my personal choice for journaling and correspondence.

Have a happy holidays.

Edited by jaysongo