The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Durable Edc Pen Opinions/suggestions?

edc durable pens

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 20:13

Where can I purchase a Rotring 600? I looked them up and they are well over $100 on most sites. I did see one on Amazon, but customer reviews say the that the cap is cheaply made. 

You'd be very lucky to find one for less than $60 now, sadly.

Sponsored Content

#42 vonManstein

vonManstein

Themoldypeaches

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2016 - 21:57

By a mile, the best EDC fountain pen is Parker 51.

Hooded nib may not be to everyones liking but in terms of practicality it surpasses traditional nibs. It is as practical as any rollerball. You can take notes intermittently without the nib drying up all the time. My second favourite is Kaweco Al Sport. 

My other EDC pens are Parker Sonnet Flighter, Lamy Al Star, Montblanc M, Pelikan M120 and Pilot Custom Heritage 92, and I like them all but after trying couple hundred pens this two would be my preferred choice. You may look at the disposable pens as well. To my great surprise Pilot Petite 1 and Platinum Preppy have better QC than most fountain pens in $200 to $600 range.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker Sonnet Flighter, Parker 51, Pilot Volex, Pilot Custom Heritage 92.

#43 randomthinks

randomthinks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 14:04

Late in on this topic, but here's my 2 cents:

Retro 51 Tornado: rock solid build quality, great refill and lots of options for different refills.  Multiple colors and designs, from boardroom to crazy.

Karas Kustoms Render K:  American made, beautiful all metal pen, lots of options and choices.  Also there are a bunch of other Karas Kustoms that you could look at: the Bolt, the Retrakt, the EDK.  Not affiliated, just a very happy customer.

Hope this helps if you have not already found a solution.

Keith

#44 qvxb

qvxb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2016 - 18:48

I suggest getting two pens - one for work and one for the field. The field pen may get a little battered during use and won't look good in the conference room.

#45 joeccentric

joeccentric

Tree Hugger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:00

I haven't read every post here, but I'll suggest you some ballpoints that I actually use in the field (I study terrestrial plant ecology). 

- Pilot Down Force. Super durable pen that writes well on my rain drenched papers. I clip it to my clipboard and have dropped it numerous times into the stream and on the forest floor, and it's held up! Looks quite nice as well in my opinion. I have the black one with the yellow clicker.

- Parker Jotter for times where I know it won't be as messy out in the field. Looks professional to me as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edc, durable, pens

Sponsored Content

|